Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - General Discussions

View Poll Results: Prefered Era?
Ancient 12 9.84%
Classical 25 20.49%
Medieval 19 15.57%
Renaissance 31 25.41%
Industrial 26 21.31%
Modern 9 7.38%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:30 AM   #1
Nimzo Lord
Chieftain

Favorite Era?

So which of the six stages of the game do you like the most?
Nimzo Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Antilogic
Reminding You...

Hard pick, but I'm going to go with the Renaissance. I think the Ancient Age is a little too formulaic--your capital is your only serious city for most of this period, so whatever you do comes down to what you started with.

Stuff starts to get exciting once you establish your borders, get siege equipment, and start getting more civics. I think it reaches its peak by about the Renaissance, but I've always been a sucker for the massed rifles, cannons, and the Age of Sail.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter with a half-million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. ... This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
Antilogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 05:23 PM   #3
Junuxx
Emperor

Classical, I think. Lots of strategy in city placement en teching choices.

It's a shame the jumps to rifles and then tanks are so huge, because their tactical advantage make the following strategy rather dumb.

In the beginning, the Earth was without form, and void.
But the Sun shone upon the sleeping Earth,
and deep inside the brittle crust,
massive forces waited to be unleashed.
Junuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 05:51 PM   #4
0range
Chieftain

Industrial!
0range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 06:44 PM   #5
globaooba
The Wolpertinger

I like classical best mostly because of the music. Aincient music is just boring and the medieval music is boring chanting and stuff.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:58 AM   #6
Antilogic
Reminding You...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junuxx View Post
Classical, I think. Lots of strategy in city placement en teching choices.
Definitely. Once the borders start emerging, that's when the real game starts. Everything else is just a prologue.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter with a half-million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. ... This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
Old Nov 18, 2009, 02:55 AM   #7
KeloGBites
Warlord

Industrial here. It's when Wars start feeling like Wars and not just petty skirmishes.
KeloGBites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 03:42 AM   #8
Darth Fred
Prince

Renaissance. Hands down. I see I'm not alone.

F
Darth Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:06 AM   #9
pi-r8
Luddite

I WANT to like the modern/future era the best, because there's so many cool options for military units at that point. However, usually the game is decided one way or another before I get there. I said renaissance, because that's usually the most critical time in my games. Everybody's finished settling cities, the map is fleshed out, I've (usually) won the liberalism race and now it's time to go to war!
pi-r8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:47 PM   #10
Raizer
Chieftain

In peacetime, I like the Classical era, because that's when you start founding your 2nd, 3rd, 4th cities. Slow, peaceful expansion and undisturbed teching, except for the occasional barb.

I voted Medieval, though, because I prefer warring in that era. It's the time where units are advanced enough to be more than just a bunch of suicide attackers, and primitive enough that the game retains the "history" feel.
Raizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:23 PM   #11
binhthuy71
Emperor

Interesting poll. I would have added an option for "No Preference" because I don't have a favorite era. Each has its own challenges and rewards for me.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:09 PM   #12
Nimzo Lord
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by binhthuy71 View Post
Interesting poll. I would have added an option for "No Preference" because I don't have a favorite era. Each has its own challenges and rewards for me.
That didn't occur to me.
Nimzo Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:15 PM   #13
Antilogic
Reminding You...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizer View Post
In peacetime, I like the Classical era, because that's when you start founding your 2nd, 3rd, 4th cities. Slow, peaceful expansion and undisturbed teching, except for the occasional barb.

I voted Medieval, though, because I prefer warring in that era. It's the time where units are advanced enough to be more than just a bunch of suicide attackers, and primitive enough that the game retains the "history" feel.
Do you mean secondary, tertiary, etc. cities (as in, second tier cities), or literally you don't found a second city until you get to the Classical Age? I was a little confused when I read through your post.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:46 PM   #14
binhthuy71
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzo Lord View Post
That didn't occur to me.
It's a good poll. Most people do have a favorite. I, on the other hand, can lose easily and with much practice in any era.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:12 AM   #15
Shafi
King

Ancient for me -

1) The thrill of exploring the map is just cool.
2) No to mention some early rushing
Shafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:03 PM   #16
Joecoolyo
99% Lightspeed

Modern just because the warfare becomes really interesting. Now that everyone (at least should) have huge armies, you're no longer just invading with one giant stack of everything, but should have multiple huge stacks. Plus the added layer of strategy with air vehicles just adds even more fun!
Joecoolyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:11 PM   #17
Saiko
That one guy

I like the rennaisance era because that's when you can colonize new continents and stuff.
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:16 AM   #18
Glassfan
weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by binhthuy71 View Post
I, on the other hand, can lose easily and with much practice in any era.
Bwa-ha-ha!
Glassfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:51 PM   #19
w2w2w
Warlord

I voted for medieval because I think thats when you get to build castles, when you research construction and engineering

Last edited by w2w2w; Nov 20, 2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: eek! spelling mistakes
w2w2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:38 PM   #20
kochman
Deity

Medieval... you have the most tech parity there, and the defense can really make some stands. Castles, knights, macemen, trebuchets...
Castles I find to be very cool.
This is also a time when space is probably severely limited, so this leads to more wars too.

I like the tech choices you have to make here to get to your way out of the period.

Interestingly, of the civs I made, most of them were rolling high during this period too.
Renaissance would be next... then classical.
kochman is offline   Reply With Quote