Warhammer Fantasy Map - Accurate and Global

Leobon

I'm a Townaedo!
Warhammer Fantasy Global

I've finished working on a world map for Warhammer Fantasy by mtrn (300x300 tiles). I've worked hard on trying to make this map look like the actual globe of Warhammer, complete down to every detail (with differences being to serve gameplay). I wasn't happy with the fact it hasn't been done yet, so I figured I'd do it myself. Over the past week I have been doing so. Despite being 300x300 tiles, I have limited where cities can be placed to reduce the possibility of the game crashing.

compare:
[The map I made]_____________________________________________________[A picture of the world of Warhammer]

The map includes some edited features that serve gameplay (notably railroads which I added in simply because of the relatively enormous size of the map, as well as resource appearance modification).

In the ZIP is a readme with instructions on how to add the few files without overriding your original Warhammer Fantasy files. Attached is another ZIP with an updated BIQ file. Use it (Warhammer Fantasy Global v.01) instead of the original (Warhammer Fantasy Global).

Also included is a ZIP with a blank map of Warhammer Fantasy. Rules are set to vanilla, there are no resources, and player locations are in the same spots, but randomized for players.

Enjoy!

It looks like it might be very interesting to use. Thanks.

I hope it proves interesting once I'm done. I've finished maybe 10% of the rivers and still have resources left to add. Each day I make a lot of progress, so I'm guessing by the end of this day I'll already be working on resource placement.

Kai's Olde World Mappe's Old World region/Araby region actually had almost perfect proportions to the size of the map I'm working on right now, so I mostly copied, tile-by-tile, the lands in Kai's map that correspond to Ulthuan and the lands in the east (that Scandinavian area down to the Khemri and Araby nations), with a little widening of land in the region that holds Reikland to Sylvania and Kislev.

Just some thoughts in case anyone ends up noticing similarities in my map to Kai's as far as the "Old World" and Ulthuan regions are concerned. His was a good map to base terrain style on.

Downloaded it as well. I have most of the Warhammer stuff, but do not really play, but I really like the idea of having a map like this to play around with. I will toss it into my editor later tonight and have a good long look.

Thanks very much.

Is there a way of just getting a copy of the map, without all of the additional units and resources? I was looking at using it more as an Alternate Earth rather than just for Warhammer.

Is there a way of just getting a copy of the map, without all of the additional units and resources? I was looking at using it more as an Alternate Earth rather than just for Warhammer.

Sure thing. I've added a blank map of this, with the resouces gone, rules set to Vanilla, and player locations set to random. Feel free to play with it to make it an alternate Earth.

Sure thing. I've added a blank map of this, with the resouces gone, rules set to Vanilla, and player locations set to random. Feel free to play with it to make it an alternate Earth.

Leobon, thank you so very much for your efforts. I greatly appreciate the clean map.

I updated the map with a few changes that optimize game play. The updated BIQ is included in the first post.

What changes did you make? I love this map. Got a fun Dwarf game going at the moment on the first version.

Cheers

Nick

Timerover, thank you for your comments. I'm glad you enjoy it.

What changes did you make? I love this map. Got a fun Dwarf game going at the moment on the first version.

Cheers

Nick

Are you playing Karaz-Ankor or the Chaos Dwarfs, out of curiosity?

Well, I mostly did a little work on the Dark Lands (the region in and around the Chaos Dwarfs home) and I overlooked putting in a proper amount of "sea" terrain, so I corrected that. With the Dark Lands, I added in 2 lairs each for the Skaven, Orcs, and Goblins in both the extreme left mountain regions, and in the extreme right mountain regions. I did that to add possible enemies for the Chaos Dwarfs to fight, and because Warhammer Fantasy maps show lairs for Goblins, Orcs, and Skaven in the Dark Lands anyways. Accordingly, I *slightly* edited the mountain enclosure of the Chaos Dwarfs so they colonize upwards into that forested region above their home plains as their first expansion out of their homeland.

Another thing I did was add in some Warpstone in different places in the Hinterlands of Kush (the peninsula west of Ind) where Warpstone is supposed to be plentiful.

Last thing I edited was the Karaz-Ankor Dwarf base. I put in mountains to the south so the Dwarfs have to build a road out before colonizing. In the games I ran of this, the Dwarfs were gobbling up virtually all that land west of them in the plains region east of Tilea, which struck me as a balance issue. Now, they can "mine" their way out of their base, which isn't difficult, but affords neighboring races a chance to carve territory into that plains region without greedy Dwarfs gobbling it up.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Something I'm working on is adding in two more civilizations: the Hobbits and Mount Arachnos. "Halfling" resources will still be available in their traditional 3 locations, but there will be a spot for the Hobbits, and most likely set their AI to not build settlers (the same thing Westerland is set to). I'll probably plan on making Hobbit units lack mobility (not going to use cavalry), but have relatively decent/good archer units, and decent units overall, although I'll probably make the shield costs less than comparable units of other civilizations, the catch being that Hobbit units will have a bit less strength than their counterparts.

Mount Arachnos seemed like a good option for the 31st civilization, and would be located in the jungle south of Lahmia. As with the Hobbits, I have a treasure chest of unit folders for Arachnid units (and units that would be utilized by the spiders, like the zombies that live near them in the jungles, or other beasts).

When I finish that, the PediaIcons/Civilopedia/other text files will still be compatible with the Warhammer Fantasy original map and my map; when I do the edits, I'll only add to the text files, and not use pre-existing entries.

I was playing Karaz-Ankor but I wasn't that far into the game so I'll probably start a new game with the updated map.

EDIT: I think it looks a wee bit odd what you have done with the Karaz-Ankor start location. That region is kind of a long valley in the mountains but at the end of the valley is now an out of place looking wall of mountains. Could you not just move their starting location to the other end of the valley so that it takes them longer to get out to the plains? Though I can understand why you did it. Doesn't make much sense to have the dwarves building lots of cities in the open plains.

Cheers

Nick

I was playing Karaz-Ankor but I wasn't that far into the game so I'll probably start a new game with the updated map.

EDIT: I think it looks a wee bit odd what you have done with the Karaz-Ankor start location. That region is kind of a long valley in the mountains but at the end of the valley is now an out of place looking wall of mountains. Could you not just move their starting location to the other end of the valley so that it takes them longer to get out to the plains? Though I can understand why you did it. Doesn't make much sense to have the dwarves building lots of cities in the open plains.

Cheers

Nick

Where Karaz-Ankor begins is based on the starting location in Kai's Olde World Mappe; High Mountains protect Karaz-Ankor by making it a direct choke-point. To be honest, I wouldn't put the location deeper in the Dwarf valley, because the starting area for Karaz is optimized for the Dwarfs, has better potential for growth and development, and is much closer to the "action" than being too deep in that valley.

If you modified the terrain and resources for a spot deeper in the valley, perhaps towards the end, based on the current start location, you wouldn't have problems at all.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=197452&page=45

Is this the Warhammer Fantasy Mod Pack that you mean?

Yes, in my original post I linked to the Warhammer mod; you just need the mod, and then download my ZIP, put files where the Readme says to put them, and then play the map. :)

I'm working on finishing up an 'alteration' of the Warhammer mod itself, with two new factions to make the 31 maximum allowed factions: Mount Arachnos (Spider-dominated faction in the jungles of the Southlands, south of Lahmia) and the Moot (Halflings south of Reikland/the Empire).

I mostly completed the alterations; I'm working on putting the final touches to some Hobbit units.

I recently got both the warhammer mod and this map. For some reason, whenever I try to start a game, I only start with a settler and no leader unit (I assume I'm supposed to have one because random maps with the mod give me one). I suppose I could just turn regicide off, but is there any way to fix this?

As I thought, it works fine without regicide, and it's awesome. Nice job on the map, man. If you do have any suggestions about how to fix the lack of kings I'm all ears, but in the meantime I'll keep myself thoroughly amused with the game I have going at the moment. :D

As I thought, it works fine without regicide, and it's awesome. Nice job on the map, man. If you do have any suggestions about how to fix the lack of kings I'm all ears, but in the meantime I'll keep myself thoroughly amused with the game I have going at the moment. :D

Thank you for the compliment! I worked hard on the map, and although I couldn't make everything exact (like the Chaos Dwarf plains, just isn't playable with plains everywhere...) I tried to make it playable and fun and yet still accurate.

I take it you're having problems playing regicide? Unless you mistakenly forgot to select regicide when you started, I have no idea why you're having problems.

What nation are you playing as? Always curious to get feedback.

I've only tried playing regicide with a few factions so far (vampires, the brits, sladd, and dwarves), but each time it's the same result: I start with only a settler, lose as soon as I found a city due to my lack of royalty. I haven't checked to see if the AI players start with a leader or not, but my guess is they don't. I'll try re-downloading the map or something to see if that fixes things, though I might want to reinstall the mod itself to be on the safe side.

Top Bottom