RR7 -Big in Japan

r_rolo1

King of myself
After having done a very unorthodox variant in RR6 regarding culture wins ( and praying that firaxis makes future versions of the game more user friendly regarding espionage :gripe: ), I decided to go again in somewhat uncharted waters... This time we want to show the full potential of having a corporation, by feeding it with the max number of resources we can. This is not a entirely new idea, given that there was a SG in Warlords that had a similar idea ( obviously without corporations ), the control of a whole class of resources ( in that case non-:) metals ). But I guess that using a corporation will seriously impact the game due to both the money generated and the obviously sky high corp fees we will need to pay , so this is pretty much uncharted territory , and to be honest , I'm not sure if the variant is winnable :p

So, without further delay, this game variant is:

Code:
-Tokugawa of Japan

-Must found Sushi

-Must have all the Sushi resources inside our cultural borders in the turn of the win.

-Must have Sushi spreaded in atleast one city of every civ in game in the turn of win

-All the civs that start the game or that are spawned during it must be alive in the end of the game

-The game must be won by domination

Settings:
Spoiler :

And starting spot pic:
Spoiler :

Roster:
r_rolo1
Ad Hoc
Cam_H
Thy_Spellcraft
nocho
Silu

(?) means pending confirmation

Alternates
Cam_H
---------

Attachments

• RR7 - Big in Japan BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    37.4 KB · Views: 175
Hey hey!

I love wonky variants that require some degree of out-of-box thinking and would also be interested to play if for some reason there'd be an opening for that.

I forecast the biggest problems for the variant:

- A random bum rush or our friends the Vedic Aryans resulting in "A distant civilization has been eliminated!"

- Triggering the domination limit accidentally while trying to grab that last tundra ocean fish

- Purely impossible resource to settle due to surrounding water-ice; could possibly countermand this with creative open-border cancellage with settlers in key positions (this would be epic :lol:)

- Missing Economics and only getting 1% Artists instead of a Merchant until an AI founds Sushi

Either way, good luck :)

There is atleast a opening for a newcomer, given that greyfox is MIA for quite a while, so you are free to play if you want ( please confirm the interest if that is the case :D ).

The biggest issue we can get is definitely IMHO avoid the dom win. In the Warlords SG I mentioned above , that had a vastly similar variant, we ( since I was part of the team :D ) had huge issues trying to avoid that ( to the point of being 0,24% of triggering the Dom win ... I thing it was the Civ IV game I played where I gave more cities to the AI :faint: ) and there was no corp pumping culture to make things worse :D

i hope fox is okay...he went on military duty and never came back...hopefully no accidents...

also, rolo, were you in the Merchant GP game i hosted? we had to found all the corporations (a corpo-hydra) and run a SE-merchant economy. that was a fun game..and we did get a ton of money coming in.

finally, this title made me think of the tom waits song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMt5t1dG2cg

Hm, I was thinking this would be a tad easier than the linked one because the majority of needed areas are coastal and thus hogging less land area for domination. Depends a lot on the map though and scouting gets a whole new dimension. Actually before I read the warlords game variant as "non-metals", only now realizing it's "non-luxury metals". Sushi resources are usually much much more numerous than those :)

The rules don't require spreading Sushi to all Japanese cities which could help a bit in that sense. Hard to imagine a map though where this variant won't lead to most interesting situations.

And yeah, confirming interest :)

Rolo,

Happy to put myself up (presume as an alternate) if you're looking for names.

Cheers

Reporting for duty! :splat:

Do I understand correctly that if we have a vassal who gets his hands on a sushi resource (by settling a new city for example), it's game over, unless we can unvassal him? :eek: If so, then we should be extremely careful taking vassals. Or just not at all, although we can't exterminate AIs either, I understand.

Do I understand correctly that if we have a vassal who gets his hands on a sushi resource (by settling a new city for example), it's game over, unless we can unvassal him? :eek: If so, then we should be extremely careful taking vassals. Or just not at all, although we can't exterminate AIs either, I understand.

Maybe then you guys could use your newfound skills to deny the surrounding culture to him by spreading culture there with spies! :D Though if there's a city settled on Rice that might complicate things...

For the ever-engaging turn 0 strategy session, I think the candidates are in place and 1S due to how the hills are set; that in mind could scout 1S instead of 1SE with the warrior. Poor cow gets abandoned on the peninsula though :(

P.S. a "see resource" could be a reference to the apostolic palace :D

Signing in

should be an interesting variant as always

I am *not* playing. I wasn't happy with my performance in RR6...

To many other things for my time, and I couldn't dedicate enough to the game.

With Cam_H substituting LKendter we seem to have a nice roster of 6 and ready to go, wouldn't you say, rei rolo the first? :p:D

Very funny nocho :p

As I don't have time to play today, I'll only move the warrior 1S ( 1 SE would reveal less ):
Spoiler :

Have beef or not have beef, that is the question ....

While I hate wasting resources I'm not very confident a no-hill capital with 11 water tiles is a good choice :) Maybe there's an ocean fish on the peninsula for a nice Moai on the moos, but at this point I would advocate vegetarianism (=in place) for the Japanese :)

EDIT: Clams vegetables? Okay, time to sleep for me... :)

Agree with in place, if there's sea food around the cow we could always consider settling another city on the cow as Silu suggested.

Not sure about WB first though... Wouldn't worker first be better? Since we start with wheel and if we research agri first he can always start roading after irrigating the corn. I'm sure somebody other than me can calculate the optimal path. :p

Agree with in place, if there's sea food around the cow we could always consider settling another city on the cow as Silu suggested.

Not sure about WB first though... Wouldn't worker first be better? Since we start with wheel and if we research agri first he can always start roading after irrigating the corn. I'm sure somebody other than me can calculate the optimal path. :p

After Agri we could road and irrigate the corn.. but what else to do afterwards? We'd need mining + masonry for the quarry or mining and BW for improving most of the other spots.. So while building WB we could grow while teching worker techs.. And additionally after neting the clams the worker would get finished way faster!

Top Bottom