Sydney Opera House

That's not a knife... this is the largest opera house in the world :)

Includes Building Large & Small PCXs, as well as City Screen buildings Large & Small PCXs and Wonder Splash.

Spoiler :
#BLDG_Sydney
^
^The [Sydney Opera House] makes one unhappy citizen $LINK<content=GCON_Moods> in all of your cities, and an additional two unhappy citizen content in the city its in.
^
^It also increases tax revenue allocated to the $LINK<treasury=GCON_Commerce> by 50%.
#DESC_BLDG_Sydney
^
^Sydney Opera House is a multi-venue performing arts centre on Bennelong Point in Australia. Sydney Opera House was made a UNESCO World Heritage Site on 28 June 2007. Currently, it is the most recently constructed World Heritage Site to be designated as such, sharing this distinction with such ancient landmarks as Stonehenge and the Giza Necropolis. It is one of the 20th century's most distinctive buildings and one of the most famous performing arts centres in the world, providing over 1,500 performances each year attended by some 1.2 million people, Sydney Opera House promotes and supports many performing arts companies including the four key resident companies Opera Australia, The Australian Ballet, Sydney Theatre Company and Sydney Symphony. Sydney Opera House also presents more than 700 of its own performances annually that offer an eclectic mix of artistic and cultural activities for all ages from the educational to the experimental. It is also one of the most popular visitor attractions in Australia, with more than 7 million people visiting the site each year.
^
^Sydney Opera House is a modern expressionist design, with a series of large precast concrete "shells", each composed of sections of a hemisphere of the same radius, forming the roofs of the structure, set on a monumental podium. The building covers 1.8 hectares of land and is 183 metres long and 120 metres wide at its widest point. It is supported on 588 concrete piers sunk as much as 25 metres below sea level. The roofs of the House are covered in a subtle chevron pattern with 1,056,006 glossy white- and matte-cream-colored Swedish-made tiles from Höganäs AB, though, from a distance, the shells appear a uniform white.
^
^Contrary to its name, the building houses six venues. The two largest venues, the Opera Theatre and Concert Hall, are housed in the two larger sets of shells. Three smaller theatres, the Drama Theatre, Playhouse and Studio are situated on the western side of the building, and the Utzon Room on the eastern side. The award winning Guillaume at Bennelong restaurant occupies the smaller set of shells. A seventh performance space, The Forecourt, is regularly used for free community events and large scale outdoor performances.
Download

Winner of the April 2010 Graphics Competition :trophy:

Very nice! Whatever picture you used fits very well with the shoreline in the pedia graphic.

Got any wonders from Australia's neighbour New Zealand planned? It's my homeland and I've often thought of making some New Zealand wonders but the problem is we haven't got very many interesting buildings. When I get round to working on my Revolution New Zealand scenario again I'll probably make a whole bunch. Probably the best candidate for a New Zealand wonder would be the Sky Tower in Auckland.

Sorry that was a bit OT, but let me say again that your Sydney Opera house wonder is great!

Cheers,

Nick

EXCELLENT. Really. :thumbsup: Very good.

Top Bottom