Bridges

Are the bridges created as a resource? It's too bad that resource graphics cannot be made to be larger.

Absolutely correct TOM. I thought about creating a left and right half of the bridge and placing the two half on opposing sides but it is very difficult to get them aligned properly. I would also have to make eight opposing sides to fit all four sides of the terrain square. I would use them as bonus resources that way it would not affect the resource bug. Also I don't know how to set the resources to join exactly at the edge of the square.

I just realized, you would only need 4 resources.

I don't think the resources can go to the edge of the tile though. The resource size is only 32x32 and the terrain tiles are 128x64 (IIRC... box size with isometric square inside).

I can say this though... adding bridges to the river graphic itself will do the job, but you will likely end up with too many bridges everywhere and in unwanted places...

Best thing I can think to do is to use LM terrain to place bridges in areas you want them (Might be a pain to do it though, or even change it).

The Guardian, I've no idea how you want to implement this but I'll just chuck in some ideas:

mrtn created this bridge (LMHills) to go over his chasms (LM Mountains). I guess the chasms could be recoloured to look like river canyons and preplaced on a map. All done with terrain of course.

If you're looking for a resource then Balthasar did this rope bridge resource - However, it only spans two pieces of land separated by coast and doesn't work for spanning rivers. It's really only cosmetic but the resource can give a bonus to food/ commerce/ production.

Just thought I'd throw these implementations out there for consideration

Attachments

• bridgeofdoom.png
    bridgeofdoom.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 261
  • bridgeovertroubledchasm.png
    bridgeovertroubledchasm.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 270
King Arthur, you gave me an idea. I think I can use coast terrain to create rivers and use use coast terrain graphics with brides added and substitute those graphics for an unused terrain. I'll try that and see how it works.
I was going to try that very same idea in da siege.

You could also create a bridge resource that has a river going under it IN the resource graphic - you just have to make sure you have an actual river on both sides....

I was going to try that very same idea in da siege.

A man once said, "Great minds think alike". :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you tried it? Any luck? Any advice?

Gojira54 said:
You could also create a bridge resource that has a river going under it IN the resource graphic - you just have to make sure you have an actual river on both sides....
I looked at that, but the problem is, all the river graphics are on the edge of the tiles. in order to get the bridge to cross the river, it has to span two tiles. The river does not cross thru the tile.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=250287&stc=1&d=1271919234

Attachments

• Bridges.bmp
    312.3 KB · Views: 280
You could make a bridge graphic that replaces the fortress or barricade, for instance, of a bridge with a river under it.

Or put the bridge graphic directly onto the river file, but then every time a river bent left, for instance, a bridge would be there.

Another way to think about this problem, though, is to think about the terrain as layers that go overtop one another. We know, for instance, that forests cover grassland, rivers cover forests, cities cover everything. (You could actually make a chart of this, noting the layer of every graphic, if you have more time than I do.)

The basic size of a grid square is 64 x 64. The basic size of a resource square is 49 x 49 centered in a grid square - not useful for bridge making unless you do as I did with the rope bridge, and pick a watery spot where the land graphics come very close together.

Some of the graphics use larger basic graphics squares; the forests and roads, for instance, are on 128 x 64 pixel squares. The roads are a bad bet for our purpose, because they're always covered by rivers. Bad choice by the programmer, who should have included a line of code that reversed this when an "allows bridges" tech was discovered.

On the other hand, forests, marshes, mountains, and hills use a larger grid, and, when placed next to (in front of) a river tile, will cover the river; that's what we're looking for.

So I took a graphic I wasn't using in the Lost Worlds Mod (I left a graphic unused??) - the Mountains-snow graphic - made a transparent layer, and put a bridge across the 64 x 64 diamond on the first graphic, which appears when a single snowy mountain is place next to a river, then filled the rest with transparent-magneta, deleted the original image and saved.

The result looks like this:

Here's the file (remove the word BRIDGE to use): View attachment BRIDGEMountains-snow.pcx

The downside of course, is that the snow-mountains have exactly the same settings as regular mountains, so unless you change the setting on all of your mountains, this will have limited application. You can use whichever oversized graphic you want, though, so if you're willing to sacrifice a square next to every river, you could get away with it. Don't forget that the game always uses LMGrassland underneath mountains and hills.

I also discovered the other night that the Victory Point graphic can be resized to any size, so could be used to create a bridge graphic, too. Since it would be a regular-sized graphic offset, it won't likely cause the problems that graphics that have been resized much larger often have, i.e., they don't appear unless the entire graphic is in the frame. An interesting use, though, would be to use such a technique to make bridges across the Rhine in a WW2 scenario.

No matter which technique you use, the bridge probably has to go in only one direction, like these.

Finally, there's the land bridge. If you use Coast terrain to make very, very fat rivers, you can redo the graphics of your terrain files to make land bridges. I made a mini tutorial for that >here<. King Arthur, in his Super Scenario, has combined terrain-bridges with terrain-roads to great effect. Here's a pic of an experiment I've been doing lately with it, making streetlights with irrigation...

Sorry to be so wordy, but, as you might have guessed, this is something I've put some thought into.

@Balthasar - Where are you hiding that city terrain ;) I love that streetlight-irrigation idea.

Wow, that bridge tutorial fills the gaps in my theory. I wanted to do a full solid bridge (instead of a river I was going to have a moat, to give you an idea on the scale) Most of the terrain will be city terrain and I'll keep a couple spots for the outside terrain. Roads (terrain) will probably be stone-flagged. The bridges, too.

Top Bottom