Civ5 coming with Steam enforcement and DRM - will you buy it?

Will you buy Civ5 although it uses DRM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

j-d-s

Chieftain
You know, Civ5 will come with Steam enforcement, it means it will come with DRM. Will you buy it, althoug you are forced to use Steam to play Civ5?

Me not. I won't buy this crap. Death Firaxis! Death Take Two! Death Steam!

I like Steam.

What's grabbed my attention more is the delux addition. Gives you access to maps and an extra civ. I'm trying to decide whether I class that as zero-day DLC or not.

For every person that boycotts it because of Steam, there will be 10 who buy it because Valve exposes PC gaming to over 25million active users.

why is steam bad?

what is steam?

is it like gamespy ?

i never understood any of that stuff

but then again, i don't care about any of that stuff

For every person that boycotts it because of Steam, there will be 10 who buy it because Valve exposes PC gaming to over 25million active users.

There's only so much market for turn-based strategy games. Civ is wildly popular, especially for such a genre and already has 12m sales over time, which is ridiculous for such a game.

Punishing all those loyal over the years players with Steam isn't very cool.

Steam as an option - fine.

Any type of 3rd party software bundling as mandatory - not fine.

I'll wait for more info before deciding because I'm stunned to think that Firaxis would screw everyone this way.

why is steam bad?

what is steam?

is it like gamespy ?

i never understood any of that stuff

but then again, i don't care about any of that stuff

Steam is primarily a digital delivery system; you can buy games from it. It also utilizes its own form of DRM, which generally requires Steam to be running for the game to launch. There is an offline mode, meaning you're only required to have an internet connection for the initial download. I say they generally require Steam because there are a few third-party (read: games not made by Valve) that can be launched directly from the .exe. I'd say this is less likely to be the case if the game has been developed with Steam Works. Steam Works provides access to achievements that are linked to your Steam account as well as other features like Steam Cloud, which allows things like config files and saves to be stored online, for access from other computers. Steam does not have activation limits, so as long as you have your login details, you can get on and play your games anywhere.

Brad Wardell (CEO of Stardock) who was reported as saying that he was going to work on Civ 5 mods once Elemental was done, has said he's boycotting the game now himself.

thank you for that info

think i understand

so i can buy the game download it and play online or off and don't pay anything extra right?

don;t see a prob

thank you for that info

think i understand

so i can buy the game download it and play online or off and don't pay anything extra right?

don;t see a prob

Correct. Only thing you pay is whatever you pay when you buy the game. You can buy it either from a retailer or from Steam directly. The end-result should be the same.

QQ @ Brad Wardell?

This was a direct shot at his business. BTW he helped Betatest Civ 4, and Civ 4 team helped with GCII, he's a longtime fan of the series.

He was going to take time off after Elemental to mod Civ 5 even.

It's not QQ if you got a legit issue.

I don't know. He's always seemed very anti-Steam to the point it just doesn't seem like he's being professional and is just being a bit whiny. I don't mind when regular players like you and me say they dislike Steam, I can understand that. As you say though, he's in the same business as Valve, which means that when he complains about Steam exclusives, he just comes off as being petty.

Of course he dislikes Steam. They're the big monopoly trying to stamp him out.

I'm not saying he's wrong to dislike them. I'm saying he's wrong to make petty remarks about boycotting civ V because it's on Steam. It just comes across as childish, which doesn't do him or his business any favours. He should be writing out his views objectively, trying to convince people his software alternative is the way to go.

It's not that it is using Steam, it is that it is using Steam exclusively. I for one do not like the implications it has for 2K to control the game from a modding, MP or DRM perspective.

Steam also eliminates piracy. Yes, eliminates for anyone that wants to use multiplayer.

You can pirate Civ 4 and log RIGHT IN to stupid Gamespy, because it has no protection, how daft is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom