Civ5 coming with Steam enforcement and DRM - will you buy it?

Will you buy Civ5 although it uses DRM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It prevents zero-day piracy as well as long as the devs make use of the encryption services Steam provides.

Steam also eliminates piracy. Yes, eliminates for anyone that wants to use multiplayer.

You can pirate Civ 4 and log RIGHT IN to stupid Gamespy, because it has no protection, how daft is that?

It prevents zero-day piracy as well as long as the devs make use of the encryption services Steam provides.

Are you guys those community managers 2K were looking at hiring a few weeks ago? You do seem to like spewing propaganda.

No, I'm a Steam fanboy. Look me up.

What I said is true though. I mentioned it because it connected to what Tamed said.

Steam also eliminates piracy. Yes, eliminates for anyone that wants to use multiplayer.

You can pirate Civ 4 and log RIGHT IN to stupid Gamespy, because it has no protection, how daft is that?

Traditionally, most civers have been SP players, so one would question the point of using DRM that doesn't stop SP players from pirating the game, unless 2K is trying to push CiV into the MP environment (it would fit with the new warfare model).

However, there is alot of bias in your post.

Steam also eliminates piracy. Yes, eliminates for anyone that wants to use multiplayer. - CiV reportedly has a PBEM system, so I wouldn't make that claim that it stops MP until I've seen it work with my own eyes.

You can pirate Civ 4 and log RIGHT IN to stupid Gamespy, because it has no protection, how daft is that? - You call it daft, insulting the lack of DRM, like DRM is a must. Someone else using a pirated game does not affect my SP or MP game, in which case I don't care what a third party is doing. DRM is something that 2K needs to care about, to protect their position, I only care that it doesn't adversely affect the product that I am using.

In other words, it isn't stupid, or daft that someone can play the game with a pirated version. It just isn't important to the vast majority of players.

No, I'm a Steam fanboy. Look me up.

What I said is true though. I mentioned it because it connected to what Tamed said.

I appreciate it when someone admits that they are biased :goodjob: What you said isn't entirely true though, I'd wait for a little more proof because civ is a special case with MP.

It pretty much is true, with the exception of internal leaking. If all copies of the game are encrypted, including retail copies, which is something Steam allows and Valve have used with all their releases since HL2, they can't be pirated before the game is unlocked. Maybe I should have said minus-day piracy, since I guess it would be possible to throw out a cracked copy on the day of release. My point though, was that before official release you're not going to see copies of the game on torrent sites. The only way that could happen is if someone with access to the unencrypted game leaks it. If the dev has any sense, that could only happen with a major breach in trust or security.

I don't mind Steam as much to be honest. Sure DRM is not nice, but my experiences with Steam have been good so far. The only thing that bugs me is the exclusive Collector's Edition. Who in his right mind downloads a digital Collector's Edition?

Yeah right, it contains a faction that should rightfully have been in the normal edition. Let's make the game, cut out a certain percentage and resell it as a Collector's Edition. That's just screwing with your customers.

So while I don't appreciate all the Steam news coming our way I voted YES on the poll by the way.

It pretty much is true, with the exception of internal leaking. If all copies of the game are encrypted, including retail copies, which is something Steam allows and Valve have used with all their releases since HL2, they can't be pirated before the game is unlocked. Maybe I should have said minus-day piracy, since I guess it would be possible to throw out a cracked copy on the day of release. My point though, was that before official release you're not going to see copies of the game on torrent sites. The only way that could happen is if someone with access to the unencrypted game leaks it. If the dev has any sense, that could only happen with a major breach in trust or security.

So, use Steam ad aeterno to stop leaking between now and the release day, but there will still be cracked copies within the first month after release?

OK, there has been leaks from Firaxis before in this manner (whoever did that is a moron), but this is more than a little...OTT? To combat hte issue.

Wait am I getting this right; this will only be avialble through STeam (no CD option for us traditionalists)? If so then I won't be buying it. My boyfriend got Steam with the Orange Box and it seems like more hassle than it's worth.

Assuming there will be a CD purchase option available, I will likely buy it in spite of the DRM because I support Firaxis as a company (DRM decisions usually come from distributor not designer) and there will always be some nerd out there figuring out how to fix overly invasive DRMs (see exhibit Sims 2 and why I don't purchase EA anything anymore). I don't play MP so I don't care if a DRM fix borks it.

Steam also eliminates piracy.

I lolled.

I think pretty much everyone here is gonig to buy Civ5.
And given very high sales of Assassin's Creed 2 despiute uberfailDRM means that game companies know this tooo

DRM annoying, but not that big a deal for me.

I dislike the fact that they're gimping the main game by removing a civ and maps.
I'm also curious; what is to stop those maps and a mod that is the same as the core game but includes the Babylonian faction from being posted online almost instantly after release? And whats to stop those maps from just being copied and pasted into someone else's version?

Making you pay for content and totally open modability seem like they're in conflict.

I hope that Firaxis notices this poll and changes its opinion (=not using Steam).

You mean the poll where it says the majority are still going to buy civ5 and the rest are probably telling the truth until it comes out and gets rave reviews and then they'll secretly buy it or pirate it smugly?

Also, I don't really think they said anything about using any DRM in civ5, just going to use steam.

I think pretty much everyone here is gonig to buy Civ5.

DRM annoying, but not that big a deal for me.

I dislike the fact that they're gimping the main game by removing a civ and maps.
I'm also curious; what is to stop those maps and a mod that is the same as the core game but includes the Babylonian faction from being posted online almost instantly after release? And whats to stop those maps from just being copied and pasted into someone else's version?

Making you pay for content and totally open modability seem like they're in conflict.

They are, but 2K has control over the central online environ where modders finished materials will be available to download. The question is what will 2K do to stop players from using third party sites to spread content.

BTW, this poster has some amazing foresight! http://apolyton.net/forums/showpost.php?p=5776348&postcount=6

There will be a DVD version, but it will still requiere steam.

Well subtract one yes vote from the poll then. No steam for me, thanks. I watched my poor man fight with steam for hours because it was borking all of his custom settings and uninstalling non-steam related content from his pc. I'll wait until the pirates whack at it and it looks like 2K is going on my "consideration for permanent piracy" list. EA and Microshaft are the only game distributors on the list at the moment so my standards for evil corporate shenanigans are pretty high.

BTW, this poster has some amazing foresight! http://apolyton.net/forums/showpost....48&postcount=6

That IS interesting. Again, going to my Sims 2 fandom, it almost seems like they are trying to head off the annoying paysites for custom content phenomena that sprung up in that community (and is divisive to this day). Amusingly, when us anti-paysite people in the sims 2 community get into with some paysite lacky, Civ is always one of the gaming communities we point to when we say "no other gaming community would ever tolerate the crap Sims fans have to put up with from other fans."

Well subtract one yes vote from the poll then. No steam for me, thanks. I watched my poor man fight with steam for hours because it was borking all of his custom settings and uninstalling non-steam related content from his pc. I'll wait until the pirates whack at it and it looks like 2K is going on my "consideration for permanent piracy" list. EA and Microshaft are the only game distributors on the list at the moment so my standards for evil corporate shenanigans are pretty high.
"

Did you just admit you'd be pirating the game? Isn't this against the forum rules?

Compulsory Steam? Yeah, you can count me out.

Well I'd quite like a non-download-only deluxe version (it ain't deluxe if it doesn't come with at least one of: a) a kick-ass manual; b) a TECH TREE; c) a sweet-a$$ box of some kind - brushed aluminium would be nice), but Steam is OK by me. If Civ must move into DRM territory, this is by far the most reasonable option. So you essentially register the game online with Steam, but can still play offline. DRM stops me from buying a game only when I can't play it offline - like Command and Conquer 4. That's a sad situation, frankly.

Although...one potential issue. I sometimes have multiple Civ installs at once, of different patch versions, because of modpacks that work with the different versions. I hope we can get Steam to let us do this somehow, instead of having just a single install that is automatically patched to the latest version, instantly wiping out compatibility with any mods...

Did you just admit you'd be pirating the game?

No, bad wording on my part, apologies. I'll be waiting until the pirates figure out how to turn off the steam requirements. If they aren't able to then I won't be bothering. All of my annoyance with EA and "perma-pirate list" jokes aside, I really did just stop getting EA games in their entirety after the Sims DRM nightmare.

Well I'd quite like a non-download-only deluxe version (it ain't deluxe if it doesn't come with at least one of: a) a kick-ass manual; b) a TECH TREE; c) a sweet-a$$ box of some kind - brushed aluminium would be nice), but Steam is OK by me. If Civ must move into DRM territory, this is by far the most reasonable option. So you essentially register the game online with Steam, but can still play offline. DRM stops me from buying a game only when I can't play it offline - like Command and Conquer 4. That's a sad situation, frankly.

This is Civilization 5, there will undoubtably be some sort of super expensive collectors edition in a shiny steel box for you to buy. They'd have to be stupid not to release one!

(It will still require steam of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom