Civilization 5 and Steam(works)

How will the integration of Steam(works) influence your decision on buying Civ5?

• I will probably buy the game, Steam is making me more likely to buy it.

Votes: 62 9.3%
  • I will probably buy the game, Steam does not influence this decision either way.

Votes: 93 14.0%
  • I will probably buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to buy it.

Votes: 94 14.1%
  • I am undecided on whether I will buy the game, Steam is making me more likely to do so.

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • I am undecided on whether I will buy the game, Steam does not influence this decision either way.

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • I am undecided on whether I will buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to do so.

Votes: 48 7.2%
  • I will probably NOT buy the game, Steam is making me more likely to buy it.

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • I will probably NOT buy the game, Steam does not influence this decision either way.

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • I will probably NOT buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to buy it.

Votes: 27 4.1%
  • I will definitely NOT buy the game, because of Steam.

Votes: 103 15.5%
  • I will definitely NOT buy the game, Steam doesn't affect this decision.

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • I will definitely buy the game, because of Steam.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • I will definitely buy the game, Steam doesn't affect this decision.

Votes: 196 29.4%

• Total voters

ori

Repair Guy
Retired Moderator
We have had some troubles keeping threads with polls about Steam and Downloadable Content (DLC) open due to extremely uncivil behavior by some posters.
So I think its time to open a poll each on these topics, accompanied by some words on conduct.

Everyone here is welcome to discuss the topic at hand in a civil manner and within forum rules. Any flaming, trolling or other attempts at disrupting the discussion is not welcome and this thread will be closely monitored.

So without further ado: lets discuss the topic. What do you think about the integration of Steamworks and Steam as the DRM scheme? Will it make you more or less likely to buy the game? Why does it matter?

The poll will read as follows, I have tried to capture all likely sentiments, If you feel some option is missing, please let me know, I can still add options, if they are not already covered.

Code:
I will probably buy the game, Steam is making me more likely to buy it.
I will probably buy the game, Steam does not influence this decision either way.
I will probably buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to buy it.

I am undecided on whether I will buy the game, Steam is making me more likely to do so.
I am undecided on whether I will buy the game, Steam does not influence this decision either way.
I am undecided on whether I will buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to do so.

I will probably NOT buy the game, Steam is making me more likely to buy it.
I will probably NOT buy the game, Steam does not influence this decision either way.
I will probably NOT buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to buy it.

I will definitely NOT buy the game, because of Steam.
I will definitely NOT buy the game, Steam doesn't affect this decision.
I will definitely buy the game, because of Steam.
I will definitely buy the game, Steam doesn't affect this decision.

Edit: added 3 more options, since there where no votes till then I don't think it affects the outcome.

Make sure to read the poll, unfortunately my ommitting the options in the first go makes the ordering awkward: definite statements (will NOT buy/will buy) are at the bottom.

I will definitely buy the game. Steam is irrelevant. Why are there no "Will definitely buy" options?

I can add them, didn't think them necessary, but just to make sure all is covered...
please wait a couple minutes while I edit the poll...

Edit: added 3 more options, since there where no votes till then I don't think it affects the outcome. Make sure to read the poll, unfortunately my ommitting the options in the first go makes the ordering awkward: definite statements (will NOT buy/ will buy are at the bottom).

:) thank you!

A little awkward ordering, but luckily read thoroughly enough to discover the last statement :) I was always going to buy this game, Steam or not.

edit: I'm suspecting the results from this polls won't be entirely representative. I have the feeling most of the users that don't really care much about the whole Steam issue won't bother to open these threads anymore..

"I will definitely buy the game, Steam doesn't affect this decision."

Just because I'm a fan of Civ.
But For me, the issue with Steam is that it's both a store and a distribution system. Somehow like the combo Ipod/Itunes.
Steam is killing competitors, making them simple keys resseller (I talk about D2D, GamersGate, Gametap...).
Why would any physical/digital retailer would sell a Steam powered product? The customer must install the Steam player and create a Steam account to register his/her Steam activation key, and then to discover the Steam store... This won't last forever...

I won't buy it til its not forced steam usage for single player. I have voiced my opinion strongly before so no need to do it again. I will say I am all for choice and think its great to have so many places to buy games these days, I love using gamersgate, and I know people love steam, so why not make it avaliable for everyone.

I will definitely NOT buy the game, because of Steam.
I would Most Definitely buy the game WITHOUT Steam.

I would buy the game if internet validation was not required. And if I could control the timing of patch
installation and could uninstal at will. And if I could play Single Player mode without having to run Steam.

In other words, I would buy Civ5 if Steam was only required to access community hub features and to play multi-player games. And I wouldn't mind if patches could only be downloaded through Steam, IF we didn't have to use Steam to install them. People need the option to download patches onto portable drives. Actual patch installation should be independent of Steam. Only the download itself should be forced through Steam.

I am undecided on whether I will buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to do so.

I dont know enough about the game yet to say absolutely either way but just about everything I do know is weighing against purchasing Civ 5 atm. I am seriously concerned that the choice to require Steamworks on a traditionally single player game was not for the benefit of the community but rather an aggressive marketing ploy to tie in more customers to Steam products. I do not like the requirements of having 3rd party software on my computer that I personally wont use but forces a relationship with the corporation after I've purchased the product. It should be a choice.

I will definetly buy the game, I dont want steam, but Ill live with it.

Not sure what option best represents this option?

Edit: I picked the last one, now realizing steam or no steam Id get the game. Much rather no steam.

I've preordered the deluxe edition on steam. (which i got for the sole reason of Civ) I'd have bought the game without it anyway, but I wanted the extra civ.

I put probably not, because I don't trust Steam on a $50 game, but would on a $20 game. My position isn't really covered by the poll- it's rather nuanced.

I'd call it, "I'd buy the game at a reduced price later, Steam makes me unwilling to pay full price"

If there was a DRM-lite version like GOO on Impulse, this would be a day 1 purchase.

Generally, I think Steam is not out to get gamers, that's bad business sense, but mistakes have and do happen, and the way Steam is set up takes away some consumer rights in such a case, in a way other DD systems do not. There's also an extra layer of things that can go wrong technicaly. I also view Steam as somewhat excessive DRM.

I don't think Steam has evil intentions though. It may sound like it from some of my posts, but I don't feel that way. I'm more worried about 2K then Steam.

In my opinion people are exaggerating the effects Steam will have on Civ5.
  • If you are worried about privacy issues, then I would say that you are a bit paranoid and ask you to lose the tinfoil hat.
  • If you are worried about performance because of Steam running in the background, then it is probably a good time to upgrade your computer.
We are not living in a world with 100% pure intentions and 100% honest people - Firaxis / 2K is missing out on some income because some people arent respecting intellectual property.

I am buying this game, and I am happy that it is steam based. I wont have to worry about having my dvd disc in the computer every time I want to play the game.

So bottomline it is positive for me, and hopefully positive for Firaxis /2K. Better sales results will result in better/more games from Firaxis (By better sales, I mean; the pirates will probably be paying this time around).

My decision is purely based on the question...
Do I expect to get $50 (or $60) of value out of the game?
I don't see how the answer can possibly be less than a resounding yes.
When I compare the value for money of video games like Civ with other entertainment options like a trip to the cinema the descision becomes even clearer.
So, the answer for me is Yes with no reservations, and I simply don't see how, short of totally abysmal reviews ahead of release that decision can change.

My decision is purely based on the question...
Do I expect to get $50 (or $60) of value out of the game?
I don't see how the answer can possibly be less than a resounding yes.
When I compare the value for money of video games like Civ with other entertainment options like a trip to the cinema the descision becomes even clearer.
So, the answer for me is Yes with no reservations, and I simply don't see how, short of totally abysmal reviews ahead of release that decision can change.
Good question. I answered that one with an enthusiastic Oh Yeah! before I'd even read any gameplay news about Civ5. I almost feel like a thief with past Civ games, in that the enjoyment I get from the games is so disproportionate to the money I'd spent. No other entertainment investment gives me a greater return. It's almost criminal ;~)

But the equation changed when I learned of Steam. I have concerns that I will be able to play the game I purchased. From persistent net validations to forced client patches, and the addition of another point of potential software failure; I do wonder how much, and for how long I'll actually be able to play my game. It doesn't even feel like MY game anymore. Civ3 and Civ4 are mine! I bought em and can play them anytime anywhere. No problem. No gate keeper. No question that I can play the games whenever I want.

The greatest reason that Civ has been such a value to me, are the mods. I am very concerned with Steams forced game patching. I don't want to lose the ability to play favored mods because Steam has forced an update on me. I wasn't playing Civ4 at the time the latest BTS patch came out. But had I been, I'da had the option to revert back to the previous patch if it broke mods... which it did. I could revert to a previous patch and still be able to play the mods. I could even run two different patch versions on my system. These things may not be possible with Steam. We're still awaiting official word. I hope the answer isn't that Steam itself will update the mods. Because who's to say they will patch every mod. What about the unpopular ones, and the ones they must censor off the hub (topless Amazons, or Hitler leaderheads, etc). And I don't want to be robbed of the finish to a many months long epic game just because Steam wants all the players running the same version.

And I sure don't want to be hassled with the possible work around of deactivating my network whenever I play the game. If I'm online and Steam is running I could catch a forced update. Which with my net access, there is a high probability I won't be able to install due to timing out. Then I'm SOL as far as playing their game. And when I do get the net back, it seems I will have to delete files and reinstall stuff after suffering from an interupted update. And with Civ3 and Civ4, when the AI turns got to taking time, I'd tab out and go online to read news and blogs. I don't want to lose that ability. I'd rather slip the disk into the drive and be free with what net access I do have. Steams system of persistent validations and forced updates concerns me very much.

And you wonder why the Pro-Steam crowd react when you spread such misinformation as compulsory patching!
Well then show me how its not. From reading through the Steam forums this is what I gather. If I'm wrong, and you want to help, then please do something more than just say I'm wrong. That does nothing but give the discussion a point to flame from.

Top Bottom