Cultural capital of the world

What is the cultural capital of the world for 2010?

• Total voters
I object to Singapore's inclusion on that list. Any indigenous culture, we quantified it, codified it and basically reduced it to a textbook of what it actually is.

When it comes to the high cultural quality of the arts, paintings, sculptures, dance, music, classical and modern-era, theater, plays, drama, movies, architecture, design, fashion, literature, film, acting, television and more, Singapore either bought it, stole it, blackmailed it, begged it or faked it. Everything else is pure utter crud

EDIT: Oh awesome, this post is 4,666

I voted for London. I would have voted for Washington DC but it's not on the list.

Failing that, I'll vote for Singapore just to increase the feelings of totalitarian isolation and confusion in their citizens.

Typical americans... :rolleyes: And what culture are you talking about? McDo culture?

'Day
The popular culture of the Broadway? The progressive new galleries? The culture of wealth brought by NYSE? The high culture of New York Metropolitan Opera?

Rome while fashionable, has not been the the cultural capital for almsot two thousand years. Yes italian designs are good, but that is more Milan. Rome itself is not particularly fashionable.

Paris was the centre of European world in 17th century and got new lease on life in second half of 19th. But the grandeur of their ambitions is mostly gone, though it keeps itself culturally virile and relevant.

London has the wealth and the art aplenty, but its' best quickly leave for the other shore.

New York is the cultural capital of the European world. It is our current City of the world's desire.

Typical americans... :rolleyes: And what culture are you talking about? McDo culture?

It would have to be an American city because we have had far more immigration from far more places than any other country.

New York was a primary entry point for large and diverse waves of immigrants and it's a world media center. It's hard to make an argument for anyplace else.

Don't think you could beat NY, for new culture it really is where every one goes like Paris early last century, whether its art, dance, theatre or writing, it is a magnet to the rest of the world, its a shame all they seem to export is the late show and Donald Trump

Your lack of critical thinking makes me :lol:, then :(.

New York City has more or less everything there is to speak of in terms of culture; fine arts, internationally-recognized cuisine, a leading market for consumer goods and fashion, and even an identity that in many ways crosses ethnic, religious, and cultural borders.

Everyone's already rebuffed Bast's anti-American critique of NYC, but I'll go with NYC for the following reasons:

1. Up there with London and Tokyo I believe it was as the business capital of the world. And much culture is, after all, manufactured by business. Generally, money is what pays for art.

2. You can find just about any culture you want in New York. It's the gate through which many people enter and have entered the USA. Being around 10 million people strong, NYC has plenty of potential for diversity.

3. Centuries of history giving it more backbone and allowing it to compete with cities despite them being older.

4. As a Staten Islander, I am naturally biased towards NYC. ...even if they do reject us a lot.

You can't beat a city where over 800 languages are spoken.

Among other examples mentioned in the article, the author seems to be focusing on Vlashki, aka Istro-Romanian.

I've had the chance to meet 1 (one) Istro-Romanian speaker in my life. I believe my first language is 100% mutually intelligible with the one mentioned in the article. I don't really think that's a separate language that's being lost, it's more like a remote dialect of Romanian dying away in a place where it (I guess we could say unfortunately) never got too much attention to begin with, being surpassed by Croatian and having too many similarities to Italian, so that many of its speakers were simply absorbed into an Italian-speaking minority. The distinctions between a language and a dialect are very blurry though, so I suppose if Serbian and Croatian can be considered their own separate languages, Romanian (aka Standard Romanian or Daco-Romanian) and Istro-Romanian could also be.

I still wouldn't have suspected to find speakers of Istro-Romanian in NYC, but I certainly wouldn't be so surprised as to not believe it was true, if somebody told me.

Clearly it is LA. It has Hollywood and Rock & Roll and a Broadcast Tower and all it produces with its hammers is culture.

Same city I always cite when asked this or similar questions; Paris.

Where's the option for Chicago :mad:

In all seriousness though, the choice is rather obvious. New York City is the current pinnacle of culture in this world.

Since I'm going to St. Louis tomorrow, obviously the nearest city with Godwynn in it is the cultural capital, so Belleville.

Top Bottom