IOT: Ab Antiquo - Sign-Up/Pre-Game Thread

Tee Kay

Three days sober

"Slowly, across the known world, nations are awakening from the long era of darkness and chaos. The great empires of Mesopotamia has long crumbled, but now the heirs of their ancient cultures rise to claim their rightful place in history. A new order shall be forged, but in the struggle to become the strongest, there can only be one..."

Welcome to Ab Antiquo, the new strategy-diplomacy Forum Game inspired by the critically acclaimed [citation needed] geopolitical simulation franchise, Imperium Offtopicum, and GM by yours truly.

In a departure from most IOT games, Ab Antiquo is set in the Ancient and Classical eras - a time of great upheaval, of great bloodshed, of great savagery, but also of enlightenment, of monumental architecture, of unprecedented prosperity for those who are strong enough to protect it.

This game is all about empire-building. Each of you shall begin your empire's rise to glory with one measly province, and you shall fight to the death to dominate the known world for my and your fellow forumers pleasure.

The rules of IOT have been extensively rewritten and modified for this game. Please do read them carefully – it’s not overly long. If I have done this right, this game will give a rather different experience from normal IOT. As with IOT though, we shall start with a blank map. You are creating your empire from scratch, and roleplaying is highly encouraged. You can go crazy with this, though keep in mind this is supposed to ancient times, and I’d like to keep the ancient/classical flavor in the game, so please don’t overdo it with technologies and such. There are no nukes, obviously.

Note: This is an experimental game. I will almost certainly change at least one rule during the course of the game. Join the game only if you can tolerate this without too much whinging.

Please read the rules in the spoiler.

Spoiler da rules :

House Rules
1. Do not flame, troll, or personally insult any other player OOC or IC. At all.You may comment on certain things negatively, but don't take it further than that.
2. Stay on topic. Make sure all comments are relevant to the fictional world of the current IOT and have nothing to do with your personal religious/political beliefs.
3. Your posts should actually consist of something relevant to your nation and not just one-liner comments. Do not spam.
4. Long diplomatic discussions (anything over five posts) belong to the realms of Social Groups or visitor and private messaging, not the Game Thread.
5. No powergaming. By definition, powergaming is making your country surpass every other country by all terms including armed forces, technology, etc.
6. Keep your actions realistic, and don't declare war on someone for a personal reason.
7. The GM reigns supreme. Do not challenge his authority.
8. Above all else, RESPECT THY FELLOW FORUMERS.

Failure to follow these will result in warnings from the GM. On your third infraction, I phone the actual mods. And ban you.

Updates

IOT is a turn-based game. A turn ends and new one begins when I post an update, which is roughly every 2-3 days. During a turn, you can spend money, claim territories, fight wars, conduct diplomacy, etc, etc. You can either post battle orders, spending and claims in the game thread or PM or VM them to me. If you want to launch a sneak attack, you can give me the battle order via PM without posting.

I will only update after 48 hours have passed since the last update. Orders not posted or PMed to me by that time run the risk of not being counted for the update.

Now for the actual game mechanics…

Map and Expansion

Ab Antiquo is played on a map of the (known) world, divided into provinces. Each province belongs to a terrain type (which will effect combat) and has two other values; Wealth and Forts. The provinces are named for easy identification.

If you are not at war, you can peacefully claim any three neutral provinces each turn, as long as they’re contiguous and you can reach it by land or sea (if the latter, the province you’re claiming must not be more than one sea away from your territories).

The province you started in is your Capital. Defend it at all cost. Bad things will happen if your Capital falls…

Income

Each province has a Wealth value. The sum of all the Wealth values of all your provinces is the amount of money (income) you have to spend for the current turn.

To improve your income, upgrade your territories individually. To go from a Wealth 1 territory to Wealth 2 costs 1 income. To go from a Wealth 5 territory to Wealth 6 costs 5 income. And so on. The cap is Wealth 20.

You cannot bank your income, but you can spend it on your military, or culture.

Culture

To be honest, Culture doesn’t really do anything. You can spend money on it every turn and it accumulates. One Culture point costs one Income. The money goes to fund your priests and your scholars and your alchemists and your poets and your bards, but it doesn’t have any effect on your income or your military strength. A bit useless really… except if you want to win. More details on that below.

War and Combat

First, let’s talk about military quality.

Military Quality

Military quality is a number that tells you how well your armies fight. There are separate values for Armies and Navies, unimaginatively named Army Quality and Navy Quality. You gain more by throwing money at it; 1 income -> +1 quality. There are two ways you can lose Military Quality – by creating armies/fleets and by losing them.

Armies and Fleets

Armies are your primary military units. They will be shown as sprites on the map. Armies can normally move 1 province per turn, and only one may be present in a province at a time. They cost no gold to create but you lose -10% of your Army Quality. Should one be destroyed (either in combat, or manually disbanded), you lose -20%. Upkeep per turn is determined by the formula 2^(n-1) where n is the number of armies. If your upkeep > your income I will randomly disband your armies until you have positive income.

Unlike armies, fleets can be stacked in a sea province. Otherwise they’re just armies at sea and everything above applies (just replace “Army Quality” with “Navy Quality”.)

Traits

On creating your army or fleet, you can choose one trait which will improve your army or fleet in a certain way. I will make a list of these when we actually start the game.

Army/Fleet Combat

When attacking a province, all friendly troops in provinces adjacent to it joins the battle too. I take the sum of all the strengths of both sides, run an RNG which modifies that by 0 – 50%, and apply defensive bonuses. Side with highest resulting strength wins.

Armies can be destroyed if 1) the combine strength of the winning side is more than half of the strength of the losing side or 2) the losing side has no where to retreat ie completely encircled.

Forts

Forts are special. They can be built in any province and costs 1+n, n being the number of forts currently present there, plus a turnly upkeep of 1 Wealth per 5 forts. If a battle takes place in the province, each fort provides +5% defensive bonus.

However, the real use of forts is to prevent an army from simply marching in to a territory and taking it if no opposing army is present. Forts provide a “defense chance” (the chance an enemy will fail to take the territory) according to the formula x/(x+5)*100 percent, where x is the number of forts in the province.

Max number of forts in a province is 20. FYI, this gives a 80% defense chance, meaning the attacking army has a 80% chance of failing.

Finally, the last part…

Victory Condition

Yes, I’ve decided to introduce it. When someone fulfils the victory condition and wins the game, Ab Antiquo ends.

There are two types of victory conditions:

Cultural – the first to reach 1000 Culture points wins the game (I might lower this, if it seems unattainable).
Conquest – the first to conquer all the provinces in a customized list I will PM to every player wins the game.

Attain either of these, and you win the game. :)

Are you finished? Great! Want to join? Here's how:

Joining the Game

To join the game, claim a territory as your capital. NOTE - India is being cut from the game. Everything east of and including the line Kustana-Gandhara-Sattygydia-Sind on the map is closed to claiming.

Check the maps below for names, terrain type, and the Wealth of the province. It’s not really a good idea to start in low Wealth provinces.

Post a background of your country, if you want. I don’t care if your country is inhabited by radioactive sultanas. In other words, feel free to inhabit your nation with whoever or whatever you want, provided it fits with the setting (any leader who tries to form the Soviet Union will be thrown to the lions.)

I don’t have a limit of players in mind at the moment, but if I get more than 15 sign-ups I may have to put some who joins late on the reserves list. First come, first served unfortunately.

And, this is the only opportunity you will get to join the game. I will not accept new players after the game starts.

With luck, the game will start sometime this weekend.

The maps are below. The terrain defensive bonuses, FYI, are: Cold Forests 50%, Desert 25%, Forested 50%, Hills 25%, Mountainous 75%, Plains 0%, Tropical 25%. Tropical and Deserts bonuses don’t apply against enemies with Capitals in those terrain types.

Spoiler Game Map :

Spoiler Terrain and Wealth :

You may now reserve your place in Ab Antiquo. If you have any questions about the game, fire away! :)

=================================================​

Current Players (16):

Celtic Empire - civplayah
Capital: Britannia Superior

Sumeria - classical hero
Capital: Sumeria

Gaul - Omega124
Capital: Celtia

Kingdom of Denmark - ZeletDude
Capital: Dania

Safot Softim biQarthadast - west india man
Capital: Africa (Carthage)

Roman Republic - Arakhor
Capital: Latium (Rome)

Vindex - Celticempire
Capital: The Steppes

Res Takhisika - Takhisis
Capital: Ionia (Troy)

Greece - ilduce349
Capital: Attica (Athens)

Judaica - flamingzaroc121
Capital: Judea

Aksumite Empire - Mad Man
Capital: Aksum

Egypt - link16
Capital: Lower Egypt

The Holy Hittite See - Virote_Considon
Capital: Cappadocia (Virotustas)

Illyria God-Kingdom - Ravus Sol
Capital: Illyria

Constantinople - Darth Caesar
Capital: Thrace

Bactrian Kingdom - NedimNapoleon
Capital: Bactria

Reserve:

landlubber

Banned:

Domination3000
Mathalamus

In.

I'll take Middle Egypt as my capital.

What is the starting year? That will determine which Kingdom of Egypt I am.

Also, just a suggestion, I'd suggest having a "Default spending" option for people who miss an update for some reason or forget to post spending, it should automatically go to culture. Just a thought.

Latium for the Romans, please :)

Carptetania.

yes that's right. im gonna start as Spain. no, its not for research purposes (Spain already survives)

You didn't want either Baetica or Tarranconensis, both of which are adjacent provinces with level 4 wealth?

err.. these two provinces will be claimed anyways. your allowed to claim 3 territories. besides you both calimed only one too.

Well, with three provinces, I'd also claim Etruria and Campania, but we're only staking starting positions for now, it seems.

Caledonia will rule the Earth.

You know, you can give names to your countries as well. ;)

Also, Domination3000 and Mathalamus are banned from this game due to their history. I'm sorry, but I am not taking any chances.

You know, you can give names to your countries as well. ;)

Also, Domination3000 and Mathalamus are banned from this game due to their history. I'm sorry, but I am not taking any chances.

care to elaborate on what history that is? some of it may be out of date.

I would like to ask on what grounds.

If its IOT IV, Thorvald deserves an apology for that I'm sure, however, I was extremely new here as you'll recall. It was my first IOT game, and I didn't really understand it at the time. Not to mention it was a half a year ago.

If its IOT II, I wasn't breaking the rules that time, just being aggressive, which is a part of the game, and, if people don't like it, they can attack you. Not to mention with your conquest victory you basically encouraged such play.

If its how me and Mathalmus reacted to each other in the past, I don't know about him but I am willing to start on a clean slate. I don't hold grudges for months on end.

As for Mathalamus, I don't really know a ton about IOTs 1-3 so I can't really judge anything, but considering those games are older than my membership here, I think we should let the past go and just let us play in the game. If we are a problem, (And I mean ACTUALLY a problem and not just attacking someone) I assure you you have a right to deal with it then.

As for Mathalamus, I don't really know a ton about IOTs 1-3 so I can't really judge anything, but considering those games are older than my membership here, I think we should let the past go and just let us play in the game.

Math was apparantly a MASSIVE power-gamer. Good thing stuff from about 2 years ago is forgotten, otherwise I wouldn't be playing! :D

We the Picts from caledonia will conquer you puny Sassanach!!!
[DIPLOMACY ACTION: Declaration of war against horrible people south of the Border]

Top Bottom