Quick Questions and Answers

Is it possible to modify an XML file so the certain techs are disabled for computer civs while the specified techs are still available for research to the human player? If someone knows, an answer would be appreciated :D

How can I convert guarded civs to friendly civs?

How can I convert guarded civs to friendly civs?

To a certain extent it depends on the civ. In general:
-Build a strong but not overpowering military and keep it away from their borders
-Do not sign friendship pacts with their enemies or denounce their friends
-Offer regular trades, even at the less favorable terms from guarded civs
-Keep all your promises, both to that civ and other ones
-Don't settle new cities, especially near them or in places they are trying to settle
-Wait

Usually behaving in a manner that you think would please a given civ will do so. Note that this is not always in your best interests, you have to find the best balance to strike.

To a certain extent it depends on the civ. In general:
-Build a strong but not overpowering military and keep it away from their borders
-Do not sign friendship pacts with their enemies or denounce their friends
-Offer regular trades, even at the less favorable terms from guarded civs
-Keep all your promises, both to that civ and other ones
-Don't settle new cities, especially near them or in places they are trying to settle
-Wait

Usually behaving in a manner that you think would please a given civ will do so. Note that this is not always in your best interests, you have to find the best balance to strike.

What can I do if I declared on civ x and in the middle of the war they became friends with civ y and civ y became guarded with all of her friendly civs?

All seven civilizations declared war on me, defense is going very well at the moment, actually so good, that I can resume to construct buildings and other stuff for my empire's well-being, it is all over, in my opinion. But the problem is that I do not want to negotiate peace with them [pride,khm,khm :D], though peace would be nice for a moment, because of those wars I dropped from +209 GPT to ~-50 GPT, I have nice treasury, so I am not that concerned about it, but anyways I want to be running at my peak again.

So question is that - if I do not attack these civs which declared war on me, is there any chance they will come for peace talks? Or the only options here is my initiative or attacking their cities and borders?

What can I do if I declared on civ x and in the middle of the war they became friends with civ y and civ y became guarded with all of her friendly civs?

Kill them both, of course. If you're warring, particularly as the aggressor, and not actively trying to get your friends into the war on your side then this will happen all the time. If you end the war with Civ X, Civ Y in your example should, eventually, return to friendly status as long as you're not bellicose towards them as well. Just remember to keep a token city or two around so you don't get to the higher levels of the warmonger diplomatic penalty for completely eliminating a rival.

All seven civilizations declared war on me, defense is going very well at the moment, actually so good, that I can resume to construct buildings and other stuff for my empire's well-being, it is all over, in my opinion. But the problem is that I do not want to negotiate peace with them [pride,khm,khm :D], though peace would be nice for a moment, because of those wars I dropped from +209 GPT to ~-50 GPT, I have nice treasury, so I am not that concerned about it, but anyways I want to be running at my peak again.

So question is that - if I do not attack these civs which declared war on me, is there any chance they will come for peace talks? Or the only options here is my initiative or attacking their cities and borders?

Kill the entirety of a civ's military and reduce their capitol such that it is obvious you will capture it in a turn or two, and they'll come running to the peace table. You can also bring in other civs to fight against your foe, which will induce them to seek peace from you so as to not be fighting on two fronts, but if you're already at war with everyone that doesn't work as well.

Usually the more warlike civs (Aztecs, for a prime example) won't hold you beating the snot out of them against you, once you've proven your military prowess. Warring with expansionist peaceniks like Washington tends to be a more permanent proposition.

Just remember to keep a token city or two around so you don't get to the higher levels of the warmonger diplomatic penalty for completely eliminating a rival.

Ahh! Now I know why folks keep one city of a defeated Civ vs. wiping them out completely. Thanks for this tidbit of advice...

Marc

Because having one luxury is enough, and having second one goes to waste. There's no point in having that second one, trading it away is the only good use for it.

But what about the benefits of the worked tile? It seems that the civs scramble to build a city next to a resource/luxury no matter how silly the placement might be otherwise and then never build the improvement, which would thereby grant the extra luxury to trade. I was just curious if the AI does not consider improving the tile worth granting extra tradable resources or something, but if that is the case why do they build a bajillion cities next to resources?

But what about the benefits of the worked tile? It seems that the civs scramble to build a city next to a resource/luxury no matter how silly the placement might be otherwise and then never build the improvement, which would thereby grant the extra luxury to trade. I was just curious if the AI does not consider improving the tile worth granting extra tradable resources or something, but if that is the case why do they build a bajillion cities next to resources?

I'm not sure what you're seeing here, but beyond the early game I almost never see the AI with unimproved resource tiles. Sometimes in new, remote colonies on islands or other continents where they haven't gotten a worker there yet, but they have a pretty high priority for improvement. They do trade their excess away to other AI's almost as soon as they get them so it's still not easy to get trades with them past the mid game where everyone has met everyone else. As for building cities next to resources, those tiles are still better than non-resource tiles whether they're improved or not. Why wouldn't they build a city there, even if there's no worker available to allocate yet?

Is Civ V: Brave New World multiplayer playable?

My friend and I have tried since Civ V's launch to fully play a game together but suffered constant synchronization problems and unending frustration. How has people's experience been with the latest expansion? Thanks!

Hello Folks,

1. What triggers you to burn down a city vs leaving it?

2. What triggers you to ANNEX a city vs making it a Puppet?

3. What triggers you to NOT burn down a city completely; how do you determine when to stop the razing?

Thanks,
Marc

Hello Folks,

1. What triggers you to burn down a city vs leaving it?

2. What triggers you to ANNEX a city vs making it a Puppet?

3. What triggers you to NOT burn down a city completely; how do you determine when to stop the razing?

Thanks,
Marc

You're asking for opinions?
1. Generally I'll raze cities if they're small and poorly situated relative to my empire's grid or local resources.

2. On initial conquest, I never annex cities. Until the period of resistance is over there is no upside to doing so. After that, cities are annexed if they're large or particularly valuable, or have strategic importance to my battle plan. If I'm actively pursuing a cultural plan, very few of my conquests will get annexed.

3. I'll only partially raze a city if happiness is a big issue. Then cities will be reduced to keep unhappiness under the -10 cutoff. The downside of this, of course, is you have to annex cities to do it, not puppet them (see #2).

Happy burninating!

Q: I'm having a problem getting the Steam Achievement for playing as Nebuchadnezar II. I have no idea why. I've played a baby game (2 players, Settler) and a real game (8 players, Prince) and neither one triggered the achievement.

Does anyone know how I might fix this? Other achievements from G&K are working (such as the new Spy stuff).

Q: I'm having a problem getting the Steam Achievement for playing as Nebuchadnezar II. I have no idea why. I've played a baby game (2 players, Settler) and a real game (8 players, Prince) and neither one triggered the achievement.

Does anyone know how I might fix this? Other achievements from G&K are working (such as the new Spy stuff).

"Win as" achievements are broken since the update few weeks ago

In BNW, where is the thing that show me when I become influential over other civs?

In BNW, where is the thing that show me when I become influential over other civs?

Click the culture inflow. Cultural victory tab. You can see tourism, culture and further stats for every civ.

I quote this, because my next question is based on this already told information. Somehow peace treaties were coming my way, I suppose, they hated that I plundered their trade routes all the time.
But me confuses this fact - why should they give me some extra luxuries and even a CITY (by Korean) to make a peace treaty, while I am not in any way threatening their existence and so, just crippling a little their military and trade like at normal rate in usual war? Is this because of AI's unskilfulness or something else? Luxuries are a bit okay, but a city - why?!

Is it possible to modify an XML file so the certain techs are disabled for computer civs while the specified techs are still available for research to the human player? If someone knows, an answer would be appreciated :D
No one here in Quick Queations will probably know, but this question would be better asked in the general section of Creation & Customization. My hunch is that this isn't easy to do, but I'm not really a modder.
But me confuses this fact - why should they give me some extra luxuries and even a CITY (by Korean) to make a peace treaty, while I am not in any way threatening their existence...
Relative military strength is the biggest factor, I believe. Sometimes you are threatening their existance, or at least a good town of theirs is at stake, and they still want a fortune for a peace treaty because they still have good military numbers.
It'll take a lot of coding to accurately reflect the threat you're posing in the peace deals they're accepting, the current formula is a bit crude, as you notice.

"Win as" achievements are broken since the update few weeks ago

Thanks!

Do you know if it's still possible to see your progress towards the various long-term achievements somewhere? If so, which file has that data (or how do you turn on that log file these days?)

Top Bottom