[POSSIBLE BUG] City States Alliance display: CSs sometimes allied to dead civs

MadRat

Cheese Raider
Alliance bug

Minor states sometimes show Allied status to civs that have been eliminated.

Rat

A conquered Civ can be liberated just like a city state, so the city states maintain their relations with "dead" civs in case someone decides to liberate them later. Not sure if the relations decay normally or not.

The bug:
City-States remain allied to the civ that conquered them after being liberated.

The game: ver 1.0.0.20

I had attacked Rome, who had 2 *conquered* city-states. Due to my path of attack, I had left these 2 for last, so by the time I got to the C-Ses, Rome had been conquered and removed from the game. The first C-S, Helsinki, liberated and allied to me as I expected. The second, Monaco, liberated and allied ROME, the same civ that conquered them. However, since Rome was now out of the game and no longer at war with me, I was given the normal options of gifting gold etc. I was able to gift enough gold to overtake Rome's influence and become ally.

When I attacked Iroquois, they also had a conquered C-S, which I attacked early in the campaign. After liberating that C-S, they also remained ally to the same civ that conquered them, Iroquois. My influence with them was normal, 130ish due to the liberation bonus, but since they were ally to Iroquois, I was only friendly, and they were still at war with me. Because the Iroquois were still in the game, I was given no options for dealing with the C-S, no peace, no gifting, nothing. Just friendly influence while remaining at war.

I completely wiped out an AI that had 2 alliances with City States. The alliances remained in effect until they decayed naturally. Alliance ought to end immediately.

I disagree.

Both AI civs and City-States can be liberated and re-emerge as active "players". Thusly, diplomatic conditions should remain in effect, subject to normal decay, so that emergent players resume their previous diplomatic states.

I've had an issue where I liberated conquered City-States, and they immediately allied themselves with a defeated AI power >_<

I disagree.

Both AI civs and City-States can be liberated and re-emerge as active "players". Thusly, diplomatic conditions should remain in effect, subject to normal decay, so that emergent players resume their previous diplomatic states.

Probably you are right, but it is weird because you know, no one is going to rescue a dead AI.

Attached file: Persia is dead, but is allied to 2 city-states.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0115 AD-0001.Civ5Save
    540.3 KB · Views: 175
From the save file, I confirm that Persia was eliminated but is still allied with Venice and Seoul. I'll move the thread to Confirmed Bugs, but list it as a possible bug.

Moderator Action: Moved to the Confirmed Bugs forum.

bump. I just experienced something similar, but not identical. Arabia had conquered Warsaw. I am at war with Arabia, and liberate Warsaw. City states in general do not hate me - I had not taken any of their cities.

When I liberate Warsaw, I get 170-some points of influence, the bar goes blue, and they gift me culture. But it says I am friend, not ally. Arabia (their conquerer!) was their ally and so Warsaw declares war on me immediately. The bar stays blue and they are gifting me culture, but they also fire on my troops.

@jck169 - Thanks for reporting this problem. It's already known.

@floppymoose - Since Arabia is still in the game, I'm not sure if this is a bug. Do you have a save file? Thanks.

Moderator Action: Merged with existing thread.

A seemingly related bug, mentioned tangentially in a post above:

I have just liberated Ragusa from under the tyrannical heel of Rome. I get the hefty liberation relation bonus. But instead of being allies, I am only friends (and get the friend level food bonus) because they are already allied with, you guessed it, Rome. Since I am still at war with Rome, I am in the curious position of being simultaneously friends with (with +170 relations) AND at war with Ragusa.

Save game just before capturing Ragusa attached. Use the embarked mech infantry to capture the city, and liberate.

Version is 1.0.0.62, no Babylon

Edit: Additional issues with the same city state, as the game progresses. While we were both friends and at war, relations did not drop any. Eventually, Rome's influence decayed so they were no longer allies. I could make peace with Ragusa at this point, and relations began to decay normally, but despite still being in the 160-170 range, and not allied to anyone else, we never became allies.

Attachments

• Ramesses II_0430 AD-2010.Civ5Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 207
I liberated the city-state of Hanoi, which gave me a large amount of influence with it (150, if I remember right). However, it was allied with Germany because Germany had more influence with Hanoi. Nothing wrong with that.

The problem is that Germany was long-dead when I liberated Hanoi.

imo, one of two things should happen:
a) Dead civilizations should lose -1 influence with city-states even after they're dead, or
b) Dead civilizations should have their relationships set to zero in case they come back.

Moderator Action: Threads merged. The_J

Similar situation: I liberated a CS, expecting an ally, got only a friend, because it was still allied to Caesar/Rome. Now Rome was still in the game in my case, but surely this is a bug anyway. I have 150 influence (the maximum?), and the CS had been occupied by France for dozens of turns. Why/how would Caesar be maintaining that level of influence with a CS that's long been conquered (and thus shouldn't be bribable?). The telling fact that it's buggy is that the very next turn I became that CS's ally, as Caesar influence "faded" away. What are the odds that happened legitimately? I don't think Caesar even had anywhere near a 150 influence with that CS, at least not legitimately. And if he'd had it, it should have long since faded much lower.

No save, as I'm running a heavily modded game, and no, it's not caused by the mods, I know what they do.

Bonjour,
India was conquered by Rom but Seoul remains allied with India, so that I must spend 500 GP to become the new ally although I have already 104 points und should have become automatically the new ally of Seoul after India was defeated.
Same problem with Hanoi, still ally of India.
It seems that the influence on CS is not reset to 0 after a Civ is conquered.
CSAllyPb1.png

CSAllyPb2.jpg

After conquering Hiawatha, a ton of city-states were still allied to him... not only that, but once I bought one of them for an ally, once our relation dropped beyond a certain point, I got a message that Hiawatha now had more influence over the city state and is now their ally...
btw, fully patched game, King difficulty, continents (no diplo, cultural or science victory), quick combat selected. everything else on default settings, I am playing Ghandi... All DLC's bought as well
And there are no renegade cities belonging to Hiawatha, he is gone. Ne is not in the diplo screen either (could he have some ghost ship? I know one Frigate escaped my artillery 1 or 2 turns before I took his last city?) Government in exile?

Top Bottom