[WorldBuilder] Unofficial Updates / Modifications

JeBuS27

Heretic
About
The default WorldBuilder in the Civilization 5 SDK has limitations and quirks that need to be addressed. This is intended to address those limitations.

I'll consider any requests, but I don't guarantee I'll implement them.

Spoiler Features :
Features
  • World Size - Maximum increased to 256x128
  • Lua Debug Window - Now remains open to provide feedback on map generation
Spoiler Installation :
Installation
  1. Extract Unofficial WorldBuilder executable to your current WorldBuilder directory
  2. Enjoy
Spoiler Version History :
Version History
v. 04

• Bug Fix: Crash on execution
v. 03

• Map Scale - Scaling feature now works to the new maximum world size
v. 02

• World Size - Maximum increased to 256x128
  • World Size - Text numbers now color red when higher than Huge size.
  • Lua Debug Window - Bug fix: User closed window -> crash
v. 01

• World Size - Maximum increased to 256x127
  • Lua Debug Window - Now remains open.

Download
Download File

Attachments

• WB-001.png
    WB-001.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,941
  • WB-002.png
    WB-002.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,946
  • WB-003.png
    WB-003.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 4,059
Could you add a function to load features,rivers,ressources,city ruins,etc when you load a map?
Or a function to save this data in the map file if it's easier to do

Thank you :)

I can't say I have a lot of experience using WB, but it surprises me that those things aren't saved / loaded.

I just did a simple test and added a river and some iron. It saved fine, and they were there when I reloaded the map.

I'm not seeing the problem.

MAP CROPPING!

This is an absolute must. I and several others have been asking around about/for this. This is important because as we go along in the building process... and we find out how slow the loading/turn process becomes, often we may decide to crop out 10 or so rows just to make the map smaller so people (regardless of computer power) can play the mod/map.

:king:

How would you want the cropping feature to work?

Basically, being able to delete parts of a current made map (removing the entire set of hexes from the map).

OR, creating a new identical map that simply lacks the "cropped out" hexes. Not sure mechanistically how to define this, but normally you select a certain area, which is designated as the "keep" section, and then purge away the rest of the map or image.

The important thing here though is that the crop needs to keep the cities, units, etc... in the scenario.

So, you select a plot, then go to a Crop menu tab. Let's say you have a dropdown box for "North, South, East, West". You make your selection, then hit the "Crop off plots". It removes any plots in the direction you specified from the selected plot.

How does that sound?

That could work. But the crop has to remove those hexes from the map (all together). The new map now ends at that hex... or that selection of hexes.

Right, there would be "blackness" beyond where you specified. One thing that might be a problem is that it probably wouldn't be "Undo"-able.

On a side note, this discussion reminded me I need to update the "Scale Map" feature to account for the new world sizes.

copy and paste...
I don't know how that's not there yet, but I'll definitely look into adding it. It's almost mind-boggling it's not there already.

I've looked into plot copy/paste now, and while I can (and will) implement it, there's just one 'minor' issue with it. Without getting too technical, I'll just say that the only way to make copy/paste "undo/redo"-able, it won't be one action. It will be a composite of individual changes, like feature change, resource change, terrain change, etc. So a single plot copy/paste could result in several entries in the undo list.

Jebus,

That may be okay if the main point of copy/paste is for Cities/Units... which is probably how I would use it.

You could consider copy/pasting the whole plot... but what about a specific item/feature of the plot?

Then the question is, why bother copy-paste at all? If you have to specify what exactly it is you're copying, it's just as many clicks as making a new one yourself.

Jebus,

Not with units/cities.
If the city has a population, buildings, etc...
Or if a unit has promotions already present... and you want to make 5-10 identical ones

I'm not saying "don't make a plot copy-paste". I'm just saying it would also be nice to have an object copy-paste without changing the underlying terrain/features/improvements .

That's going to take some more thinking. There might have to be a pop-up window with checkboxes to ask what you want copied.

Uploaded v03 with Map Scaling fixed.

Hi, you seem very firm with the wb. maybe you can answer me a question, please.

is it possible to put some signs on the map with the wb?

great work:goodjob:

I haven't seen any evidence of such a feature in either the game, or in WB.

Replacing the file and launching, both directly from the .exe and the SDK window result in an APPCRASH.

Windows 7 x64.

Top Bottom