Yet Another Giant Earth Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gedemon

Modder
Super Moderator
Yet Another Giant Earth Map is an edited convertion of Genghis Kai's Giant Earth Map for Civ IV, rescaled to 180x94 and with true starting location for each civ.

The convertion was no small work (I had to delete/redo all features and rivers) and would'nt have been possible without the Unofficial Worldbuilder by JeBuS27.

9 versions of the map included:
- blank map with only features to use for scenario making or play without TSL (realistic position for rivers, mountains, hills, forests, jungles, marsh, and natural wonders)
- all civs
- old world civs, just City States in new world
- all civs except US
- the native americans nations edition, as in YAHEM
- 4 deluxe versions of the above maps including Babylon

I've included the city states from YAHEM (mostly African and American's), and also added Madrid.

The ressource placement (and goody huts) is totally random, but I hope to add a semi-random placement in a future version.

Installation :

available in the mod browser.
see the instruction and screenshots in the download database

Thanks, credits : Genghis_Kai, JeBuS27, and google earth / wikipedia for the rivers and starting plot placement :D

Warning: This map may need a lot of CPU/GPU/RAM ressources.

this version is outdated

The new version is part of my earth map pack, any question / comments and suggestion should be posted there, thank you.

Al right, I'm playing as England, and the map is unwinnable as them. There's absulotly no Iron or Horse on the island, and there's only Luxury Resources in enemy lands. Thus, its an never-ending story of attacking Scotland for gems, failing because of the defense-favoring terrain and lack of Swordmen and Catapaults, lose and try to fix the happiness problem through happiness buildings and SP, watch as populations goes skyhigh due to the foos resources, realize you need those gems now, fail, repeat.

So, add some Iron and/or Horses to the island, please!

England should definitely have Iron and Coal at least. (And by the time there were English in England, there was horse as well.)

I noticed on the screenshots that Istanbul is in a really weird location (I mentioned this elsewhere as well, but is it possible to simply place the Turks in Central Asia where they originated - ideally with Karashahr as capital city?) and Kyoto is where Tokyo should be (Kyoto is located West of Mt Fuji).

Yes, maybe we should start listing what strategic ressources are absolutly needed at start for every civs.

Then a list of luxuries available or not by continent.

And then try to keep it balanced ;)

I was thinking of a way to have small gisements (1 or 2 units max) of strategic ressource to help at starting locations, and some specific regions with more important gisements (means realistic placement)

You're also right for Istanbul, I wanted to do an alternate list of cities for the Ottoman so it won't be the first city name, but I've seen a mod on the hub which made city naming depending of their position on the map...

If I can use it, that would be excellent, maybe with naming depending of position on map, city's civilization and why not era...

That will need some works, but if the map is playable as it is (ie not crashing on most PC), that's exactly for that kind of application that I made it, and any help/ideas/suggestion is more than welcome :D

And then try to keep it balanced ;)
I was thinking of a way to have small gisements (1 or 2 units max) of strategic ressource to help at starting locations, D

1. I played many sessions with Civ IV BTS GEM-Mod. After a while I started to adjust starting locations on the map giving all players equal ressources, e.g. 2-3 food-, 2-3 strategic- and 2-3 luxury-ressources, some river tiles and some forests/hills for production. If ressources are not equal, it is difficult to balance the map to provide equal winning chance for all nations. Equal starting positions meant more fun for me when playing the different nations (even if it was not historical). So I suggest to do the same for YAGEM ...

2. Nice work adjusting GEM to Civ V. Thank You very much.

Some more suggestions :

1. Iron, Coal and Oil
I miss iron and coal in europe in general. England as the starting country of industrial age was already mentioned in another thread. There should be (more) ressources of iron and coal in central europe. There should be additional iron in scandinavia.

Example :
In WW2 Germany had so much coal that they even could afford to transform it to Oil / Fuel in industrial scale. Allthough Germany in the 30s was importing iron from Sweden, they also had their own ressources ... just not enough to support the build-up of a modern army in a few years.

2. North Africa
Climate changed in N.A. in the last 2000 years.
It wasn't always desert as it is today. Especially the coast was very fertile.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Province,_Roman_Empire for info.

The prosperity of most towns depended on agriculture. Called the "granary of the empire", North Africa, according to one estimate, produced one million tons of cereals each year, one-quarter of which was exported. Additional crops included beans, figs, grapes, and other fruits. By the second century, olive oil rivaled cereals as an export item. In addition to the cultivation of slaves, and the capture and transporting of exotic wild animals, the principal production and exports included the textiles, marble, wine, timber, livestock, pottery such as African Red Slip, and wool.

For Civ IV BtS GEM for my personal scenario map I adjusted the N.A. coastline with plains and some wheat.

3. South Africa
The whole horizontal line of tiles most to the south seems to be out of place by one hex to the west. Purpose or accident?

Awesome work Gedemon. I just have a favor to ask. Could you add my civ Scotland in this or is it already a bit crowded? I would try to do it myself but have no idea where to start with world builder or how to set up start locations etc. You don't have to release it to public you could just upload here for me :) For the time being I love playing as Japan!(as usual)

@historix69 : I agree with most of your suggestions, I'll make a "to do" list in the first post. And please, yes, report those geographic issues that need to be adressed (if it's not caused by the map projection used), I'll look at the part you mentioned

About Africa, I'll love to make an dynamic earth, but it seems that will need the c++ sdk for that. maybe an intermediate could be done to allow medium sized city on north coast...

@lonegamer : working right now on a UU for city states mod, I thing Edinburgh will get one very specific unit for itself ;)

sorry I don't have the time right now (because of the above) to start making on demand map(s), but I hope I'll find some later to make a small tutorial on how to change things in WB like removing a civ or changing it starting location, or place a totally new civ from a mod...

Sweet deal. Appreciate the quick reply and can't wait. Really enjoying this map, every time I was playing a reg game(with my mod that is) I always wanted to go at it with England due to close borders and realism, but never happend :(. Looking forward to seeing that UU ;)

Cheers.

:D I Figured it out. Had to have my mod checked, exited civ5. Opened up your map. Went to scenario, add a civ(it auto added Scotland), went over to UK clicked the gray circle, replaced Edinburgh with Scotland :D. I can finally have at it with ENGLAND! :D I'm really stoked. Marathon mode and your map will keep me occupied for a while.

Cheers!

working on it... starting by the world shape

W.I.P. :

South Africa corrected :

Spoiler :

Mediterranean reworked, especially the coast between Spain and Italia, rivers added to north-east Africa, and less desert near the north coast, giving more friendly spots for cities :

Spoiler :

next to do is learning to make it a scenario with an option screen, choose a way to fix the Ottoman then add the resources placement... (and I won't forget to add iron, coal, horses, uranium, oil, alluminium and kryptonite to england, and will replace the starting english warrior with a more usefull destroyer)

Spoiler :
not seriously :D

Those are beautiful screenshots, I'll definitely have to look this up later.

However, these maps to live or die in my mind depending on how they handle Europe/Britain which has to be enlarged (in my mind) for gameplay.

Europe (and UK) is enlarged, yes.

Still working on an update, if everything goes well the next version will have a custom menu with specific option for the map, and will allow custom civ mods to set their True Starting Location via XML files...

How far are you with the resources? (if you complete them on this map you can also implent it in yahem right?)

Right. I want to use the random script from WB maps, but forbid some luxuries from selected regions, add randomly placed strategic gisement in specific region (coal in germany / poland / england, china, petrol in middle east, etc...) and make sure a couple of luxuries / strategic are available at each starting location... and make it tunable via XML.

once done, it could be ported to yahem as well.

I'm working on a version of the mod with a custom advanced setup screen to set different versions of the map... no more 9 maps to choose from, depending of your DLC and wanting or not US, etc...

A preview of the setup screen to give you an idea :

Spoiler :

you can make here your own selection of civs, all vanilla and DLC civs will start at their true position, and you can set custom civ (or even city states) TSL via XML...

you can also choose your game option, victory condition, etc... all that could'nt be done with previous version...

there's still a lot to do but I may release an alpha version (without specific resource placement) to get some feedback

Nice work.

I've finally managed to get a new computer to run Civ V, hopefully I can play your map and maybe start making a new GEM in civ V when I have time.

that's great news :D

the most recent version of the converted map is in YnAEMP btw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom