How do you feel about having to use Steam? (Poll)

How do you feel about having to use Steam for playing Civ?

• Strongly positive: Steam is a great addition to the series! I love it.

Votes: 73 16.6%
  • Somewhat positive: I quite like using Steam and would happily use it voluntarily.

Votes: 93 21.1%
  • Neutral: I don't mind it / have no feelings either way.

Votes: 56 12.7%
  • Somewhat negative: I don't like having to use Steam and would remove it given the choice.

Votes: 117 26.6%
  • Strongly negative: What on earth were they thinking! I hate it.

Votes: 101 23.0%

• Total voters

rbj2001

Warlord
The Steam discussion has been pretty much done to death, so no need to repeat it here, but I haven't seen a simple poll to guage people's reactions to having to use it, so here is one.

Note: this is a poll on having to use the Steam service to play Civilization, rather than how good you think the Steam software itself is.

Strongly negative! So much so that I didn't buy the game when I would otherwise have. I did however buy the digital version of Elemental War of Magic on Impulse. Impulse and steam do the same things but in different ways. I accept the Impulse method with no reservations. I do not accept steams method.

Somewhat negative: I don't like having to use Steam and would remove it given the choice. It needs a whole minute to log in and I don't use it at all, it's hard to find informations that you need and I would remove it if I could. I keep it to count my hours spend on civ :).

Since you are required to use steam to access the patches I can not patch the game :( This is a bad thing.

Moderator Action: If you "can not" patch the game using steam, it means you have a pirated copy, piracy is not tolerated on these forum.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Polls about this ''issue'' have also been done to death, so nothing new here.

That said, strongly positive.

Don't really care. I do kind of like it when I get an in game pop up that I've accomplished some weirdo goal that I wasn't attempting to achieve, though ;)

Somewhat negative. I've never used it before and when I try to find out my information I get lost in its menus. I also have no idea what it is doing while it is running on my system.

That said. I've never noticed a problem with it either. I have no idea if some day it will do something that will bite me, or if it will remain a benign app running on my system.

Basically, the only reason I have a negative reaction is because of my unfamiliarity with it.

wow, pretty even results across the board. I voted in the middle, I don't care either way, steam doesn't bother me.

About 80% of my library is on steam and about 15% on impulse. I'm actually starting to hate buying CDs.

And when I reinstall windows (which I do every 6 months to be extra clean and happy) All my games come right back overnight!

I like the networking features and accessibility to content that Steam provides, but I don't like that when Steam itself has problems, I cannot play the games whose licenses I own.

For days now, it's been downloading nonexistent "patches" to TF2, and then every time I launch the game, I get "Validating game files" for 15-20 minutes as it ticks up to 100%. Once it reaches 100%, it will either hang and refuse to complete, crash Steam (which forces me to start 'validating' all over), or maybe actually let me launch the game. The next day, I go through the same "Validating game files" BS yet again. Last night I got another nonexistent TF2 "patch" that I had to download - 2.5 GB is not a patch. And of course, once that finished 45 mins later, I got to sit through "Validating Steam files" yet again.

I liked Steam at first, but this is getting really irritating. TF2 is fine; if it was a standalone game I wouldn't have had any of these problems. But Steam is keeping me from accessing content that I paid for. That's a problem.

Somewhat negative. It’s not a dealbreaker, but I don’t see the point for games that aren’t downloaded off of Steam. For buying games it’s great, but for games you bought elsewhere all it offers is nuisances:

- the pop-up ads for other games that show up when you open or close Steam
- the flip-up Steam notices in the game (“Press shift-tab to access…”, and messages that give you your product key and DON’T GO AWAY unless you do shift-tab, in some games)
- the occasional error where Steam thinks it hasn’t downloaded the whole game
- if you put it in offline mode you get a message box every time you open the game, which is annoying
- you can’t choose to hold off on patching the game or revert versions

If Steam were completely optional, I'd probably like it. Since it is compulsory: strongly negative.

I have no issue whatsoever with Civ5 using Steam and its never been a factor in my decision to put off buying Civ5 (that is due to college and having enough of a backlog of games already). However, I think Firaxis should have released better modding tools and allowed mod foldering so modifications don't get replaced when the game updates.

EDIT: I do understand that if this is your only game for Steam, it may not be as convenient for everyone as it is for me.

Strongly negative! So much so that I didn't buy the game when I would otherwise have. I did however buy the digital version of Elemental War of Magic on Impulse. Impulse and steam do the same things but in different ways. I accept the Impulse method with no reservations. I do not accept steams method.

I'm harder than you :p, i don't even accept impulse.

Steam is teh evil, and it hogs teh RAM!!!!1!!!one¡¡!
/ignorance /unbased-fear

I really like Steams auto-updating, news, games specials, and one place to keep all my games. I'm in the Strongly positive: Steam is a great addition to the series! I love it. category. In fact, I purchased Civ 4 on Steam after already owning it on DVD just so I could benefit from the Steam platform.

Sure, there is the odd person that cannot for some reason get a net connection for the once off install, but man... I really think these people have bigger issues than not being able to play a game (like the fact they must live in Antarctica or something). For all others that have issue with Steam... get yourself educated.

Was against Steam in the beginning but I grew to love it, even with some of its short comings. If we were given a choice to use Steam or not ala UT3 Black Edition, I'd probably still use it on Steam for the convience of downloading. I'm just glad that I haven't had any of the desk punching issues that others have had.

It's fine. After I figured out how to get it to turn on every time I turned on my computer, it is now completely in the background. Plus, I don't know where a game store is near me (just moved here shortly before the game was released), so it saved me a trip (and likely sales tax).

For all others that have issue with Steam... get yourself educated.

It'll be pretty hilarious when you spend days unable to use software that you bought and paid for because of Steam's errors. Somehow I think your attitude just might change a little. :lol:

Voted neutral. Don't really care. It does make patching easier.

So far they haven't planted any microchips in my brain, so that's a plus.

Top Bottom