Improved Notifications

alpaca

King of Ungulates
Note: Development of this mod has been stopped. It was incorporated into a more modular version by Sneaks: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=411298

Improved Notifications

This mod adds new notifications when the culture radius of a city is expanded and when it grows in population (even when it's above 5 pop). It also adds a Notification Settings panel that allows you to enable or disable notifications, added ones or already existing ones alike. These are stored globally, so all games have the same notification settings.

News
20.12.: The new tile grabbed notifications now center and highlight the tile that triggered them rather than the city. Middle-click still enters the city
17.12.: Growth Notifications is now Improved Notifications and adds a notification settings panel

Compatibility
This mod is compatible with any mods that don't modify NotificationPanel.lua or DiploCorner.lua

Installation
Now available in the Mod Browser. Search for Improved Notifications and install as usual.

Changelog
v6:
- bugfix for middle mouse button
- now highlights all growth and new tile events when you get the notification rather than when clicking it
v5:
- culture notifications now center on the tile rather than the city
- added highlighting for the hex that triggered an event if you click on the event (until you dismiss it)
v4:
- bugfix
v3 (unreleased):
- panel added to switch notifications on and off
- now using a different event to trigger the pop growth notification
v2:
- some bugfixes: automatic dismissal of notifications at the end of turn; notification isn't suppressed anymore if a city grows the turn it is founded
- functionality: left click now centers on city, middle click opens the city view. Before, left click opened the city view

Attachments

• culture_notification.png
    culture_notification.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,582
  • growth_notification.jpg
    growth_notification.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,601
  • notification_settings.jpg
    notification_settings.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 1,866
  • dipcorner.jpg
    dipcorner.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,386
  • Improved Notifications (v 6).civ5mod
    14.9 KB · Views: 734
going to try this I know a lot of people wanted this so thanks.

It's interesting to note that there actually is an unused Tile Gained event in the game. I'm not sure why the devs removed it, maybe they thought "too many popups"? I'd rather remove all the basically irrelevant "city state made peace with city state" and "civ x signed a RA with civ y" instead.

I personally was quite annoyed that growth messages stop after 5, to be honest. It's totally ridiculous because growth at higher pop levels is actually more important seeing that it's usually in one of your more important cities.

Ideally, you should be able to have message settings so you can switch on and off growth messages from the city screen for each city.

Version 2 is up. The Mod Hub seems to work again so you can get it via the mod browser, too.

- some bugfixes: automatic dismissal of notifications at the end of turn; notification isn't suppressed anymore if a city grows the turn it is founded
- functionality: left click now centers on city, middle click opens the city view. Before, left click opened the city view

Since I can't properly mod content at the moment due to saving being temporarily broken for lua files, I decided to implement some UI changes I've been planning to add. The first is an update for this mod that adds a notification settings panel so that you can choose which notifications you'd like to receive. This is added to the DiploCorner in the top right of the screen where you select the Notification Log and such.

The notification settings are stored globally and therefore preserved across games.

See the first post for screens

If you find what any of the CAPITALISED events do, please let me know.

As I learn new things, I made yet another version of this mod. Unfortunately the mod repository once again refuses to work, so you can only get it in the first post. I will increase the version number again when ModBuggy works as it should.

New in this version is that the culture notification centers and marks the tile that you got, rather than the city.

Edit: Mod Repository works again.

Thanks for this. I notice robk is using the same diplocorner.lua so this works fine with InfoAddict. Standardization...brilliant :)

Yes, luckily for us robk was so nice as to immediately adopt my modular diplo corner solution :goodjob:

Middle click doesn't work for me though. It seems to register, as I get a 'click' noise, but it doesn't open the city screen.

edit: Come to think of it, is there any middle click functionality in the game at all? It could sure use it.

edit: Using Atilla's mod, which changes some right click functionality through ActionPanelInfo.lua. Perhaps...

Middle click doesn't work for me though. It seems to register, as I get a 'click' noise, but it doesn't open the city screen.

edit: Come to think of it, is there any middle click functionality in the game at all? It could sure use it.

edit: Using Atilla's mod, which changes some right click functionality through ActionPanelInfo.lua. Perhaps...

Oi! I left some test code in :lol:

Sadly the game doesn't use the middle mouse button for anything afaik. That doesn't mean I can't attach it to my own notifications to enhance their usefulness, though.

Fixed in v6, and the highlighting now highlights the hexes at turn start. So all tiles you got this turn will be highlighted pink, and all cities that grew, green. At some point I will try to make it optional so you have a dropdown box to select highlighting and notification for this instead of a checkbox.

Am I right to assume that the mod in the repository is the correct one to use (version 6) and that I do not need to download anything from the first post..?

Thanks for making and sharing this mod :)

Am I right to assume that the mod in the repository is the correct one to use (version 6) and that I do not need to download anything from the first post..?

Thanks for making and sharing this mod :)

Yes, I could successfully upload mods this morning so I switched to the mod browser again. It's more comfortable both for me and for people who want to download and install it.

If the version you have is the highest one up in the changelog, you have the correct version

I don't suppose there's any way to make this compatible with Copasetic's UI Tweaks? Both modify NotificationPanel.lua, it looks like...

I don't suppose there's any way to make this compatible with Copasetic's UI Tweaks? Both modify NotificationPanel.lua, it looks like...

No. What did cope change in the notifications?

I thought i should share this with you for integration!
It feels less like i need to buy a tile from City-Screen.

(PS; Just rename the current alpha-anim notificationtileglow.dds slot in the appropriate glow section below and insert what's in the rar to an Art folder while true'ing its properties... and you're all set.)

File CustomNotification.xml; second Instance/Container/SlideAnim/Button/AlphaAnim/Texture="assets\UI\Art\Notification\***.dds"
*** = notificationtileglow_in.dds

Attachments

• notification_in-thumbnail.png
    notification_in-thumbnail.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 4,100
  • notificationtileglow_in.rar
    6 KB · Views: 272
Top Bottom