" Q " about Citizen Allocation Focus

oops2001

Chieftain
Hi,
I started a new game with easy settings ( am new to Civ series and me playing this game second time after watching few tut. videos )
I settled the settlers found a new city, thn felt like seeing the tiny details about the city, I noticed for the first time Citizen Allocation Focus thing at the upper right.
I was able to move the allocated citizen according to my choice's tile or change the focus ( food focus, gold focus etc).
Just want to know what is the default focus how does the computer decides where to allocate the citizen or what is the preference order of focus if a tile has all the things in same numbers.
thanks.

Another Q : I have seen that screen says a SCOUT costs 35 production. But I see +5 only production even after turns, but golds keep on adding according to +x ( x= amnt of gold) and show the TOTAL gold available.
Is there a way to see the TOTAL of production or science or from where the 35 production will get deducted?

what is the preference order of focus if a tile has all the things in same numbers.
Could you clarify?

The governor (or mayor, whatever they're calling it these days) will attempt to balance food, hammer and gold generation. The default setting generally values food over gold over hammers.

Couldnt tell you the precise answer, as I havent looked into the xml much yet.

Default focus is fairly good, however, if you are new to the game. On default focus it seems to prioritize growth and special resources first, and then gold and science afterwards. Meaning, your citizens will work tiles to grow the city and work special resources like iron, gems, wineries, etc, and will work mines, farms, and trading posts secondarily (unless the city needs food, then sometimes it will work a farm over other tiles to feed the citizens).

Gold and science focus work well to have a city provide boosts in those areas, and science focus will even sometimes provide decent production. A city with gold focus usually will not have much production, because most gold improvements dont provide hammers (trading posts, plantations, water resources). Some do, though - gems, silver, gold - and that helps a gold city build things quicker.

Production focus obviously will have the citizens work the high hammer tiles first. However, this will often lead to starvation, because the AI will work hammer tiles even if that means you dont have enough food to feed your people.

Oh I meant if two tiles, say one has two gold, one food and one production and the other has one gold , two food and one production/two production, thn on which tile the citizen will be allocated ?

I paste my other Q again here :

Another Q : I have seen that screen says a SCOUT costs 35 production. But I see +5 only production even after turns, but golds keep on adding according to +x ( x= amnt of gold) and show the TOTAL gold available.
Is there a way to see the TOTAL of production or science or from where the 35 production will get deducted?
( I guess I got the answer of it..if it says costs 35 hammers its 7(turns) x 5 )..
Loving the game slowly more nd more .. :)

Couldnt tell you the precise answer, as I havent looked into the xml much yet.
I don't think governor AI would be in the XML.

Oh I meant if two tiles, say one has two gold, one food and one production and the other has one gold , two food and one production, thn on which tile the citizen will be allocated ?
The AI has a method for evaluating yields against each other.

For example, in CIV, players calculated that with the Slavery civic, 1 food = ~2 hammers at certain population sizes.

I don't know the details of how the AI compares them, but I did outline roughly how it does.

Food > Gold > Hammers

It'll work high food tiles first, then food/gold tiles, then food/hammer tiles, then hammer/gold tiles.

Tiles such as pure hammers or the 1F/1G totally unimproved coastal tiles it will potentially ignore completely.

The best estimate I could give would be that the AI values 1 food = ~2 gold = ~3 hammers, but I wouldn't be surprised if that ratio changes with city growth, especially given that it was written for the previously crippling growth curve.

Do you mean to ask where can you track production in-progress? Or, in other words, where can you see last turns hammers having been applied, much as your treasury updates every turn?

In the city screen, bottom left corner, you'll see a icon for what that city is producing with a ringed border that fills an orange color in a manner similar to the research tracker.

Thanks for the detailed info :), though I am not at all on or near a level to manipulate the default focus or citizens but jst wanted to know what happens behind the scenes.

mmm well i wanted to ask like on the top left it shows the TOTAL amount of GOLD you have, when you purchase a tile, the amount gets deducted and at then it shows the amount of gold left after deduction.
I was thinking the same for Production(or for science) if it gets added(+5+5+5 = 15 ( say for 3 turns (5/turn), if it all gets added) somwhere and displayed ( like the total gold ) and we can see the total of production for all our turns.

mmm well i wanted to ask like on the top left it shows the TOTAL amount of GOLD you have, when you purchase a tile, the amount gets deducted and at then it shows the amount of gold left after deduction.
I was thinking the same for Production if it gets added somwhere and displayed ( like the total gold ) and we can see the total of production for all our turns.
Manufactured Goods stat in the Demographics screen is the sum total of production across all your cities.

I looked through the XML and found the actual weights the AI gives to tile yields.

2 food = 3 hammers = 3 culture = 4 gold = 4 science.

There are also modifiers related to city size, presumably to shift focus as maximizing food becomes less efficient.

Top Bottom