The Bands other than Tom Petty Appreciation Thread!!

Hey guys, how about some commentary / info / thoughts / opinions about these bands? I'm watching the YouTube vids as time allows (totally digging this Titus Andronics track, btw) but just slapping a video URL onto a post isn't too compelling. What sort of music is this? What's cool about this band, why do you enjoy them? Anything in particular to listen for? Etc, etc.

Hey guys, how about some commentary / info / thoughts / opinions about these bands? I'm watching the YouTube vids as time allows (totally digging this Titus Andronics track, btw) but just slapping a video URL onto a post isn't too compelling. What sort of music is this? What's cool about this band, why do you enjoy them? Anything in particular to listen for? Etc, etc.

Hahah, yeah my bad. That Titus track is from their sophmore release The Monitor, which is a concept album about the American civil war and more specifically the first Union ironclad from which the album gets its name.

here's the most well known song from that release. If you want I can try and dig up some similar stuff.

Link to video.

I've recently discovered that I really like Hall and Oates (half because of Saints Row 2 :p). Anyone else like them?

Link to video.

Link to video.

I like the duo but I've only heard a few of their hits. Recommendations for any of their albums?

I'm not familiar with their albums, actually. Like I said, I only just found them. :p

@Commie - Holy crap that Wugazi stuff is awesome. Nice find. I know next to nothing about Fugazi, but I love me some Wu-Tang.

@Electric - hahaha, Hall & Oates! Private Eyes, Rock & Soul, and H2O are probably your best bets for albums.

@Carmen - glad to hear you've rediscovered the Heads. :thumbsup: There's some great videos on YouTube of their European tour in 1980 with guitar wizard-master Adrian Bellew from King Crimson:

Link to video.

@Wolfbeckett - I'm officially interested in this Geese group. More please! ;)

@Commie - Holy crap that Wugazi stuff is awesome. Nice find. I know next to nothing about Fugazi, but I love me some Wu-Tang.

Fugazi is, in my opinion, one of the greatest bands of all time. It was formed in the late eighties at the tail end of the DC hardcore scene. Ian Mackaye of seminal punk band Minor Threat fame was the founding member along with Guy Picciotto of Rites of Spring (which is credited as the first "emo" band, though its not what you think and RoS was an excellent band). Their music is heavy on instrumentals and melts thousands of tonnage of musical influence into one wrought iron howitzer of a band. One of the hardest working groups of all time, no Fugazi show has ever cost more than 10$.

Link to video.

Link to video.

Link to video.

This thread needs some Frank Zappa . 95% of the time , music needs to satisfy me on some sort of emotional level . But when you are up for some sheer creativity and boldness , then FZ is your man . I have gone with "St Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast" , mainly for the WTF! Factor . Any song with the lines" I wheedled on the bingo cards in lieu of the latrine" and "She abused the sausage patty and said why don't you treat me mean?" deserves some credit .

The second link is the lady who played the big ass xylophone bit at the end of the song running through how it's done .

I have followed the directions on the " what are you watching on YouTube right now "thread on how to better format the link , but all I get is the "link to video" bit at the bottom and when it's clicked on , won't work . If anyone is feeling helpful could they see if they can make it work so I know I'm not totally stupid ? I have done the tags after the first = and up to various positions after but can't get it to work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzfzsKENCbU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSmyCuU_pEo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

How about a little Old Crow for everyone?

Link to video.

Caroline is one of Old Crow Medicine Show's most famous songs. Honestly, I barely put it in my top 10 for Old Crow, but it's very likable to non-Old Crow fans.

Link to video.

I Hear Them All is easily my favorite Old Crow song.

Link to video.

Motel in Memphis is a bit more of a serious song, but still a great one.

Link to video.

If you attend/attended/are attending school South of the Mason-Dixon line and you do not know every lyric to Wagon Wheel, I would suggest learning them sooner rather than later. But really, easily their most famous song.

Hey SuperJay, did not get around to digging much tonight, so I only found one example of the epic trance I like that is a little older. It's not the best example, but it'll do for now.

http://youtu.be/3YiohFH81SI (DJ Tiesto - Trance Energy X - Mix 2001)

Top Bottom