DMOC's DEITY Game #4 - Suryavarman II

DMOC

Mathematician
Hello everyone,

I said in my last deity game (Willem van Oranje) that I would not be coming back unless Civ5 turned out to be a disappointment, because I planned on converting from Civ4 to Civ5. Unfortunately, as I said before, I give Civ4 a 9 to 9.5 rating while Civ5 gets a rating between 5 and 6 out of 10. So I'm back here after months of inactivity, ready to start single player again. I noticed that I don't play with expansive leaders that much, so let's start out with Suryavarman II. He is Expansive and Creative. His unique unit is the Ballista Elephant and his unique building is the Baray. It is like a normal aqueduct, but adds a food to the city like a supermarket. :goodjob:

Disclaimer: This game will not move as fast as the Willem game because I won't always have access to my desktop.

Note: I have posted other games as well, all in my signature.

• Immortal - Darius I
  • Immortal - Boudica
  • Immortal - Julius Caesar
  • Deity - Gandhi
  • Deity - Churchill
  • Deity - Willem van Oranje

(I'll update this starting post as the game goes on.)

Rounds:
  1. 4000 BC: Starting scout move and settling
  2. Round 1: 4000 BC to 3560 BC [12 Turns] - Triple (Weak) Seafood
  3. Round 2: 3560 BC to 2840 BC [18 Turns] - The Ubiquitous Vegetation
  4. Round 3: 2840 BC to 1640 BC [31 Turns] - Barbarian Spearmen
  5. Round 4: 1640 BC to 1120 BC [14 Turns] - This Crowd is Tough to Appease
  6. Round 5: 1120 BC to 100 BC [40 Turns] - Dual Wonder Construction, Again
  7. Round 6: 100 BC to 300 AD [18 Turns] - Extinguishing the Barbarians
  8. Round 7: 300 AD to 1200 AD [54 Turns] - World War I
  9. Round 8: 1200 AD to 1470 AD [28 Turns] - After a Long Layoff ...
  10. Round 9: 1470 AD to 1816 AD [72 Turns] - Two Civilizations Eliminated
  11. Round 10: 1816 AD to 1860 AD [23 Turns] - DMOC is Confused
  12. Bonus Round: Late-Game Modern Era Warfare

Settings:

There are a total of 9 other AI's in this game, for 10 civilizations total. I have tested these settings before, and there is plenty of land for everyone. There's also a mistake in the screenshot - the hills settings are back to the default setting; normal hills with groups up to 2, not 5 as it is shown above.

One of the things I decided to do was make the climate variation setting "soft," which means that ice and tundra have been dramatically reduced for this map. I think that's fair, just so that civilizations starting at the very top or bottom of the map are not screwed immediately.

The start:

Looks like a settle in place and build a worker? The problem with a worker first is that he won't have much to do after farming the corn, unless I research Agriculture - Bronze Working. Hm ....

Please offer some advice. :D I honestly need help.

The (auto) save:

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    59.4 KB · Views: 271
Copper looks unlikely in the BFC. Archery will need to come quickly. With all the forests and jungle to the south, warrior spawn busting may do the trick. It looks like there may be a need for spawn busting in all directions, N,S,E & W. This suggests that at least a few warriors may be needed to fill all the gaps. So when does that leave time for workboats? Hmmm...

Edit: Wow! This is my first bat mod 3.0.1 game (just downloaded it), and it looks AWESOME!

Edit II: Note that that is an ocean tile in the lower right corner.

That sury is so hot right now.
The start is so awkward! You need BW AG and fishing all really to make your worker gainfully employed. Call me crazy, but I think I might try settler>worker (settler is 20 turns w/ forest ph +ph city spot right? and worker 10?) That will give you enough time to tech stuff you need, and at least your worker will have stuff to do by turn 30...

Good luck, looking forward to it fo sho

EDIT: could also move cap somewhere less awk... what's near the blue circle?

EDIT 2: probably better than settler>worker: settler until 11 turns left for BW, 10 turns of worker, worker moves and starts chopping as BW is finished ->chop out settler while AG, then fishing etc...

EDIT could also move cap somewhere less awk...

I'm glad you brought this up. I think this site could make a monster hammer city or a decent GP farm. This does not look like a great cottage/commerce city. If this were immortal, I'd relocate the capitol in a heartbeat.

I tend to suck if I don't have FPs or riverside grassland in capitol for cottaging. For me, my commerce/research stalls early on with a hammer capitol or around liberalism with a GP farm capitol or a GL/trade route capitol.

Other than moving the capitol, what it the best way to cope with this?

SIP doesn't look awkward at all....this will be a strong production cap early and note the 2 lake farms you will have after sailing.

I may have overlooked it, but what map is this? I've never seen so many settings for a map. Custom Continents?

BW seems a no brainer. You might try Fishing>BW and part build a worker then switch to workboat and then time the worker to BW. Chop another WB and more workers. That corn is not wet so it's not a huge advantage over the 4F2C clams. The exception would be if you showed more Ag resources after popping or AH. However, it looks like the BFC is a forests. Major choppage here.

Are you sure? I see a lake directly south.

Oh wow, that was stupid of me. I was so focused on that little river. Maybe Ag is the better choice then.

Moving the scout directly 2E or 1N of that seems a no-brainer. If anything nice is revealed over there, I'd debate settling 1E for more production. Settling on the PH to start though is nice as the worker will come asap, but the later production potential is pretty huge 1E.

Good to see you are using BAT, DMOC. Great mod.

tag for lurking :)

it's pretty interesting start. the idea worker->wb->worker is usually good but with you being expansive I am not sure you want to finish the worker on clams.
But working clams will improve a lot the tech situation and I am not sure right now, but I think you need fishing for those lakes too.

if you start worker first you will have him in 10T so that doesnt give you much time for research even if wet corn is strongest tile in future BFC.

I went AG=>BW. I went worker, warrior.

Spoiler :
If you go worker first, you will have to wait one turn to work the corn. Then with BW 2nd, you will have to wait three turns to start chopping (after mining a PH).

Definitely settle in place. Chances are there's a food tile (or at least a resource) 2E of your start (if need be check it with the scout), and a plains hill is worth a lot in the early game because it helps so much with early production. I doubt there's better city sites further away.

As for tech path and early build order, I'm not so sure though. A worker will be out in no time, but might have little to do until Bronze Working. Going for early Fishing (and then Agri -> Bronze Working + worker in the meantime) might be a better idea - especially considering the extra speed you can make work boats with - but to be fair I have no real idea because my deity experience is +/- 0. :lol:

Im no deity player but I agree with most here, SIP is best, this is a very good site for a expansive leader, plenty of health resources, and this will definatly be a good production city. I'd open with worker-Workboat-Workboat, and improve those resources. It's good to have you back on the civ IV fourms by the way, i'll probally give civ V 5/10 aswell, mabey it will get good after an expansion or two...

Very nice location. I hope you right saying every civ has enough space. Settle in place, perhaps some unforested hill for idle worker might be.
Fishing first, workboat can be built in 6 turns. In 30 turn you will have capital at population of 4, 4 additional commerce from sea tiles and one worker (and no military units).
The wheel after fishing perhaps, although archery seems tempting.
The question is what use of those forests? Will you use them for an early wonder or save them for buaerocracy (damn spelling) improved power.

Scout someone said 2E seems to be best option for me. Good luck ...

edited: There is always a catch, no agriculture :(, so Agriculture->Fishing->Archery perhaps ...

A hill city on an isthmus has good strategic potential, I like it.

Fishing first seems good because:
  • Two of the three good BFC tiles are seafood, may as well get them improved asap.
  • There is only one river tile so clammerce is the only kind of commerce in town for a while.
  • Expansive worker will get its 1H bonus so long as it's not built totally out of seafood. Hence grow to size 2 on one clam before finishing the worker.

PS. Subscribed!

Top Bottom