Players for New Epic Game Wanted

Onan

Dad
Hi Civfanatics,

By way of introduction, I've been playing MP civ over at civplayers.com since civ3 play the world, and civ in general since its release in 1991.

I've been waiting for us to come off daylight savings before trying to set this up.

What I would like to do is play a full game over several relatively short sessions. If you're interested and can commit to playing on a regular basis at the following time(s), please post.

Here in Auckland we're at GMT+12. To compare with the US, this means we're a day ahead, but five hours behind PDT; and a day ahead, but 8 hours behind EDT.

The general time frame I'm looking to play is during my evenings, generally about 8pm to 10:30 pm or so. We need at least four players to commit to play at least once a week during this slot. Twice a week would be great.

Needless to say, given the timing, most likely I'll be looking for players in Australia / Asia...possibly some Europeans who might want a late morning game on the weekend...or some very sleep disturbed North Americans, or just late night owls on the West Coast.

The main thing I'm looking for in players is dependability or commitment. The logistics of setting this kind of thing up are the hardest part. But playing the full game with other players IMO is the way civ was meant to be played.

Game settings, number of sessions per week, etc. will be decided amongst those players who can actually commit the time.

Post if you want to commit to this type of game, during the stated time slot. It's worth it.

Onan

I'd like to join, but I'm kind of confused about the time. Would it be at 3:00 to 5:30 P.M PDT?

Other way round, unfortunately. Roughly 1am - 3:30am for PDT.

That's why I didn't expect many takers from the Americas. Glad to get a response, though. :)

That would be cool, if you're normally up that late and can be consistent with it. It would be best to get a fourth player, too.

As for America, I was born and raised there but left for New Zealand in '08...have always been a dual citizen.

The one partial epic I've played was with a couple of guys on the east coast of NA and we weren't very good with set times. Please don't start if it's really too late for you.

Finally, we're going on holiday next week, so soonest start possible for me would be in May.

Looking forward to a game if we can pull it together!

1:00 A.M to 3:30 A.M is not practical for me. Most times during the day or late evening (10-12 P.M) would work for me.

I live in Australia-QLD and keen for a slow paced constant game with 4 or more players over prolonged sessions, timing is perfect for me and can do up to 4 days a week.

PM me I'm in :)

Hmn, I'd kind of given up on this and have actually removed Civ 5 from my hard drive...was playing too many Gauntlet games. :blush:

It looks like we may actually have four players who are up for it? Religionfanatic, hopefully you are in a nearby timezone? Mesopotamian, sounds good, you're just what I'm looking for. um..., as much as it pains me to use the name...Dick VII...being in North America, I want to confirm he's really up for this kind of timing...I'll PM him.

If I can confirm four solid players, I'll reinstall, and away we go. :)

Nice. 2/4. I PMed Dick last night. I'll post again when I hear back.

pm me when you are ready to start

um, I thought you said the timing does not work for you? Has something changed?

Onan, if it's 10 am here in Quebec (America eastern time), what time it is in your country? I work from 4pm to midnight here. I can play in my mornings. I don't know what GMT time is here. Hmm i will google a bit...

Edit : I'm GMT -4. You are +12. So we have 16 hours of difference. If it's 8 pm to your home, it's 4 am here...should be ok. I can go sleep at 7 am max or my girlfriend will think i'm a civfreak. I'm a civfanatic, but not a civfreak! :lol:

Yuo can pm me if you want.

Wow, you seriously would get up at 4am on a regular basis, consistently, to play civ?

If that's indeed the case, we might have enough players to start a game that we can actually finish (barring bugs / load issues!).

I may need to reinstall civ soon. :)

Wow, you seriously would get up at 4am on a regular basis, consistently, to play civ?

:lol:

Not really i'm still awake thats all. I finish work at midnight and go to bed frequently around 4 am. I can easily extend to 6 am. But if you play in after noon on weekends it will certainly be more easier for me to schedule.

If i go to bed at 6 am on week, i have to absolutely do nothing the next day and go to work 1 or 2 hours later.

Okay, well, it looks like we have potentially 6 players here ready to go.

I was wanting to limit this to four players on a small map (edit: hmn, maybe I meant tiny?), just to make sure we don't run into late game issues that lead to our not finishing. In the three player epic I've played up until about infantry (quick speed), it would sometimes take 3+ minutes to load up a save. edit2: lag issues also tend to make many games with more than four players unplayable, although it's unclear what causes this, to my knowledge.

That may just say something about my old computer. So, it might be good if someone with a higher end system wants to host?

Finally, we'll need to get more specific about days and timing--sounds like it's good for Tabarnak to start right on my 8pm his 4am. (I'm gonna need at least a day or two, as I have to download the game again, and I'm not sure if that'll hit our data cap or not.) Also, once we've confirmed who'll be in this game, we'll want another way to be in touch, probably via IM. I have YIM installed so that's my vote, but I'm open to suggestions.

Post-finally, :) we'll need to talk over and agree on settings and any other rules (like limiting war till after a certain date, etc).

Cardinal rules:
1) No quitting. You start this, you finish it. You have a bad start, or an aggressive neighbor who gets the better of you, tough, suck it up and do the best you can. (We can always use a mulligan rule for the start though--if you really don't like your start, you can call a mulligan, and we redo. Limit one per player so use with discretion!)

2) Be reliable. If you can't make a scheduled time, let us know by posting here in advance. All players should have thread notification activated so they are up to date on anything that comes up. Not turning up is not cool, no excuses (barring severe illness / accident / trauma). Don't waste our time. If you can't be consistent with the agreed on days and times, don't start this game.

These rules are to help ensure all of our enjoyment. So there.

Tabarnak, it's good to see you here--got to know you a bit via the gauntlet / GOTM forums. Looking forward to playing with you. Everyone else, looking forward to 'meeting' you.

Lastly...we could try this with more players...but it might lead to some late-game issues...uncharted territory. If we have a host with a high-end machine, I'd be more game to try.

Okay...please respond if you are still in. Feel free to discuss settings preferences. If this all comes together hopefully we can be playing by this time next week, if not sooner. First order of business might be agreeing to 2 or 3 days per week we can all commit to during the stated time slot.

Let's rock and roll.

:band:

I suggest to disable starting bias and allow Mongolia. For ressources well i dont care much. Not scarced though. Ancient start(i guess), any map is ok for me. How many city states? 12 is the default number. I often play with 8-9 or less. No city states bring a lot more barbs. I also dont care but still tedious.

I have a strong computer and a good internet connection. I often hosted games with success.

I nominate you host!

Yes, agreed on disabled start bias and Mongolia. Resources...normal or balanced...maybe even abundant or legendary if we want a boost in the cap. City states...I don't mind going with default or less. Ladder MP games I'm used to none and no barbs, but this game will be a different animal.

Yeah, I was thinking ancient, go for the full sweep. Any victory conditions we want to leave out? Depends what people are looking for.

Continents or some kind of pangaea or oval where early and possibly close quarters contact is possible? This game would be so much better if more than 4 players would work....

p.s. I must ask you to explain your name and sig to me.

p.p.s: you're up late! and in the window. this gives me faith. :)

Top Bottom