MAD Nukes Screen

Has anyone been able to see the MAD Nukes Screen (Alt+N)? Every game I've tried, even when I've tried cheating using WB I haven't been able to open MAD Nukes Screen; I can pre-target cities and it works but I can't seem to open this screen; it doesn't work either I press ALT+N or I click on its icon on the top left corner. Any suggestion? I have a new, plain installation of ROM-AND 1.75C, no other mods, no civpack, nothing else.

You need the MAD civic enabled to view it. ;)

I know, sorry it wasn't clear in my previous post... I was using MAD civic. :sad: I suppose that if I don't use MAD civic I couldn't pre-target cities as well. But I can pretarget cities (and it works); the only problem is that I can't open the Alt+N nukes screen... :(

Since a video is worth a thousand pictures...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpQ_E-po7QY

I've quickly made this video; of course this isn't a real game, I've cheated using WB and assigned to myself every tech up to modern era; as you can see at the start there's no "Mad Nukes Screen" icon on the top left of the screen. Then I switch to MAD civic and the missile icon suddenly appears. I've already assigned Manhattan Project and Missile Lab to my city; when I click on the missile icon at 1.26 anyway, nothing happens. I'm still in Anarchy and on Strike but as you can see starting 2.00 I use WB to build some ICBMs in my city and I can pretarget them to some roman cities but still clicking on the missile icon at 2.29 doesn't work (Alt+N doesn't work either). I enter WB again to give my civ some money so they won't be on strike anymore and I finish my turn to change from Anarchy to my new civics but as you can see Mad Nukes screen still doesn't work when I click on the missile icon at 3.25 and following.
Afforess (or anyone else), have you tried using Advanced Nukes in some of your games and does the MAD Nukes Screen work? Because if it works, surely there's something wrong with my installation although I can't understand what it can be since I've only made a plain AND 1.75 + patch C installation... Thanks.

Although this isn't really much help here, even though MAD and ANM go hand-in-hand in both compatibility and gameplay, they're not - or shouldn't be - dependent on each other.
In light of this, I'm betting there's a few ingame requirements you're not fulfilling to view the screen (Like a command center or something - I don't know since I've never gotten too far in the game because of college). That or I don't know.

Speaking of getting into the modern times, what settings do you play to keep away from the CTD's to get so far into the game?

45°38'N-13°47'E;10531856 said:
Since a video is worth a thousand pictures...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpQ_E-po7QY

I've quickly made this video; of course this isn't a real game, I've cheated using WB and assigned to myself every tech up to modern era; as you can see at the start there's no "Mad Nukes Screen" icon on the top left of the screen. Then I switch to MAD civic and the missile icon suddenly appears. I've already assigned Manhattan Project and Missile Lab to my city; when I click on the missile icon at 1.26 anyway, nothing happens. I'm still in Anarchy and on Strike but as you can see starting 2.00 I use WB to build some ICBMs in my city and I can pretarget them to some roman cities but still clicking on the missile icon at 2.29 doesn't work (Alt+N doesn't work either). I enter WB again to give my civ some money so they won't be on strike anymore and I finish my turn to change from Anarchy to my new civics but as you can see Mad Nukes screen still doesn't work when I click on the missile icon at 3.25 and following.
Afforess (or anyone else), have you tried using Advanced Nukes in some of your games and does the MAD Nukes Screen work? Because if it works, surely there's something wrong with my installation although I can't understand what it can be since I've only made a plain AND 1.75 + patch C installation... Thanks.

I remember distinctly testing it and confirming that it worked, I will take a second look though, for beta 1.76

@CivFuehrer: I was thinking about some requirement too but there should be none; AFAIK, MAD civic is the only requirement; I've also built manhattan project and missile Lab to produce ICBMs and of course I have Uranium. So unless there's some other requirement that I don't know of, there's no reason it shouldn't work... but it doesn't.
As for getting to modern times, I've only made it once, playing with AND 1.75A and as described here, Mad Nukes Panel didn't work either:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=407384
I've tried some different combinations of map sizes and civs and I've almost never reached the modern era, let alone finishing the game; I've never been able to. I've tried with some GEM but I usually get CTDs before the modern era; then I switched to some Huge Earth map but playing with 20-30 civs always ends in CTDs; I usually play with my wife in hotseat mp, using almost all expansions provided on the custom game menu (adv dipl, adv esp, exp castle, guilds, corps, adv nukes, etc. and of course Revolution, No barb civs). Now we're trying a huge map with 18 civs, no megacivpack and we hope it will work. But I say again, I've never ever been able to finish a game with RoM-AND due to CTD. I suppose my pc is good enough (Q9450, 4GB ram, win7 64bit, 1GB video card), so my guess is that CTDs are caused by limitations of the Civ4 BTS engine.

@Afforess: thanks, that would be great, maybe it's just me missing some requirement as CivFuehrer said, but as I said to him, even with AND 1.75A MAD Nukes Panel didn't work, as explained here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=407384. And at the moment I don't see anyone confirming that it's working properly, so maybe we missed something. Thanks again! :goodjob:

Well, I'm playing with 1.75C now; I've played with 1.75A but that was in January. Anyway when I played with 1.75A, clicking on the icon didn't work and pressing Alt+N gave me an error: ""Error in kbdEvent event handler <bound method MADNukesEventManager.onkbdEvent of<MADNukesEventManager.MADNukesEventManager instance at 0x5033B800>>"
Now with 1.75C clicking on the icon still doesn't work, pressing Alt+N doesn't work either, pressing Ctrl+Alt+N opens a window called "Unit Name Testing" but still displays the message
""Error in kbdEvent event handler <bound method MADNukesEventManager.onkbdEvent of<MADNukesEventManager.MADNukesEventManager instance at 0x51B90D70>>"
Hope that helps...

45°38'N-13°47'E;10537815 said:
Well, I'm playing with 1.75C now; I've played with 1.75A but that was in January. Anyway when I played with 1.75A, clicking on the icon didn't work and pressing Alt+N gave me an error: ""Error in kbdEvent event handler <bound method MADNukesEventManager.onkbdEvent of<MADNukesEventManager.MADNukesEventManager instance at 0x5033B800>>"
Now with 1.75C clicking on the icon still doesn't work, pressing Alt+N doesn't work either, pressing Ctrl+Alt+N opens a window called "Unit Name Testing" but still displays the message
""Error in kbdEvent event handler <bound method MADNukesEventManager.onkbdEvent of<MADNukesEventManager.MADNukesEventManager instance at 0x51B90D70>>"
Hope that helps...

I can't convert hex codes into meaningful error messages (I actually don't know anyone alive who can...). Turn on python logging and upload your logs folder after you try again.

I've not looked yet, I'm rewriting civics.

I can't convert hex codes into meaningful error messages (I actually don't know anyone alive who can...). Turn on python logging and upload your logs folder after you try again.

I've not looked yet, I'm rewriting civics.

LOL... I know hex codes almost don't make sense, I was hoping that suggesting that getting an error about MAD by pressing Ctrl+Alt+N instead of Alt+N could be of any help. Anyway here are the logs; I simply loaded the game, I clicked twice on the missile icon, then I pressed twice Alt+N, then I pressed twice Ctrl+Alt+N.
Thanks Afforess for looking into this when you have time and don't worry, there's no hurry. ;)

Edit: I've attached a test savegame if you want to try it.

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    62 KB · Views: 43
  • TEST MAD2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    214.1 KB · Views: 50
45°38'N-13°47'E;10537909 said:
LOL... I know hex codes almost don't make sense, I was hoping that suggesting that getting an error about MAD by pressing Ctrl+Alt+N instead of Alt+N could be of any help. Anyway here are the logs; I simply loaded the game, I clicked twice on the missile icon, then I pressed twice Alt+N, then I pressed twice Ctrl+Alt+N.
Thanks Afforess for looking into this when you have time and don't worry, there's no hurry. ;)

Edit: I've attached a test savegame if you want to try it.

Thank you, your logs were perfect. It looks like I forgot an art asset. You can manually fix it for now(fix will be in 1.76 too):

Open Civ4ArtDefines_Interface.xml (located in AND/Assets/XML/Art), and add this entry at the top: (assuming you know how to add XML entries ;) )

Code:
		<InterfaceArtInfo>
			<Type>MAD_NUKES_MANAGER_BACKGROUND</Type>
			<Path>Art/Interface/Screens/MADNukesManagerBackground.dds</Path>
		</InterfaceArtInfo>

Great, Afforess! It worked almost perfectly. I say almost because clicking on the missile icon now opens the MAD panel, while pressing alt+N still doesn't work; it works if I press ctrl+alt+N but that opens both MAD panel and "Unit Name Testing" panel (don't know what's this). Thanks again Afforess! :goodjob:

Top Bottom