The Sword of Islam 0.3.5 Discussion

embryodead

Caliph
The Sword of Islam 0.3.5

Download SoI 0.3.5 Installer from Sourceforge (7z archive is also available in other downloads).

Due to a number of critical bugs in 0.3.4 you've got a new version with several bugfixes as well as a few minor changes/additions. Sorry for the inconvenience, I just wanted to make sure the latest version is playable & stable. Please use this thread for all kinds of feedback, bug reports etc. related to SoI 0.3.5.

Note: this version is save-compatible down to 0.3.4, i.e. you can use savegames from previous patch. Update is highly recommended due to stability not causing collapse in 0.3.4.

Note on version 0.3.4, still valid: this patch consists largely of numerous bugfixes and gameplay tweaks. Additionally there is the new Religious Victory and a related Great Saint effect. I can only say that Religious Victory works, but at this point I have no idea whether the conditions are realistic / achievable.

Detailed patch notes from versions 0.3.4-0.3.5:
Spoiler :

- Fixed the bug that prevented civs from collapsing from low stability
- Fixed the Mongol Horse Archer not giving global XP (Great Generals XP)
- Fixed the Ayyubid UP (it was doing nothing apart from showing the bonus)
- Fixed the Abbasid UP tooltip display (this one was working fine, but not showing the bonus)
- Made the AI less likely to switch Civics and Religion away from those of its Master
- Made the AI more likely to create armies
- Changed the Spearman's bonus against Mounted Units from +50% to +75%
- Increased the decay rate of AI memory of persecutions
- Fixed the 'Rivals left' information in Victory Screen: Portugal is counted as rival only if it has cities
- Added 'Rebel cities' information to Victory Screen (shows the number of remaining independent cities - for Conquest Victory)
- Updated the Baibars leaderhead art (veBear)
- Changed the Portuguese leader to Afonso de Albuquerque (art by Melcher)

- Fixed the Python error that prevented Sur from being named correctly

General changes
- Added Religious Victory (State Religion + Holy City + 65-80% Influence depending on Religion)
- Added a new Great Saint ability: spread state religion to up to 6 cities, including those belonging to unknown, hostile or distant civs
- Added the option to select target religion during Religious Persecution
- Added new hints & game concepts
- Added small Piety bonus for razing infidel cities
- Changed Inn and Brothel to provide cumulative +1 XP for all Espionage units
- Changed Den of Spies to provide +3 XP for all Espionage units
- Changed the way secessions work: some cities will revolt before others depending on the province, unhappiness, culture etc.
- Renamed Toassin Mamluk to Royal Mamluk
- Changed the Sindh's birth date from 1058 to 1011 CE and adjusted their UHVs and modifiers accordingly
- Changed the Prophet's Mosque, Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Imam Ali Mosque and Kaaba to provide culture properly
- Added a new message that alerts the player whenever new mercenaries become available in his region

Balancing
- Changed the Mongol GP massacre mechanic to randomly kill some settled GPs, rather than all of them
- Changed the tech boost effects of Al-Jazari's Workshop from 25% to 40% of tech cost
- Reduced the cost of some late-game techs
- Changed Courthouses and Temples to provide Stability to the owner, not just the founder
- Moved Topkapi Palace to Administrative Reforms; changed the effect to -25% Expansion Stability Penalty + early Absolutism
- Adjusted Empire, Aristocracy, Market Economy, Merchant Capitalism, State Monopoly and Religious Freedom civics
- Changed the Roman Emperor title: the holder cannot collapse but will lose some if its foreign territory instead
- Changed the Vikramaditya title: all foreign provinces in Hindustan become border provinces
- Adjusted inflation and research rate for Mamluks
- Added Kerman to Seljuk border provinces
- Changed the Pilgrimage to Mecca to a one-per-civ event
- Switched Infiltration I and II; moved -1 Movement Cost bonus to Infiltration III
- Increased the strength of Hemu's and Sher Khan's invasions

Bugfixes
- Added a possible fix for the RFC AI gold bug that occasionally made the AI get millions of gold
- Fixed the default autosave behavior
- Fixed the bugged Safavid UHV3
- Fixed the Oman UHV1 incorrectly counting cities that already have Shia Islam
- Fixed the UHV progress tracking display bugs for Oman, Ak Koyunlu and Safavids
- Fixed naval units incorrectly allowing Barrage promotion
- Fixed the mercenary upkeep causing unit strikes before auto adjustment of commerce sliders kicks in
- Fixed the 'Reconquest of the Holy Land' quest not disappearing after one civ completes it
- Fixed the text for 'Grateful Aristocrats' event
- Fixed the problem with the name of Sur in Oman (will be renamed Sour if the player already owns Sur in Syria)
- Added cancellation of holy war call if the Commander of the Faithful dies/collapses
- Disabled vassal & tech trading for the first 2 turns after civ birth (exploit fix)
- Fixed a number of graphical glitches with the Mercenary Screen UI and mercenary unit names

Graphics & sound
- Enlarged the text space in the Dawn of Man popup
- Added some updated city, building and unit art from Realism Invictus
- Added new diplomacy music for Akbar, Prithviraj, Dodo and Bhoja (cybrxkhan)

Nice!:D
I actually thought about suggesting that spearmen should be improved. I would have suggested that they could have +25% against missile cavalry, however, your improvement is good too.

No need to apologize, thank you for being on top of these things.

The spearman upgrade should be good as before a spearman = a horseman. Now can we do anything to encourage the use of offensive archers?

Some suggestions: flanking damage against melee if survive an attack.
attack weakest target first - maybe for marksmen

Shouldn't espionage points towards a civ disappear if it respawns? It would have a new government and old connections would no longer be helpful.

your agents would still be in place though. As well often new governments rely on the old bureaucracy to function.

your agents would still be in place though. As well often new governments rely on the old bureaucracy to function.

Aren't most respawns 50+ years after the collapse? Most of your agents and the old bureaucracy would be dead by that time.

now we're splitting hairs lol

actually in the medieval era, and especially in the middle east, the scribal class was hereditary. As well, patronage was taken very seriously and loyalty to patrons could easily pass down through the generations........

(I'm desperately trying to come up with something that will allow me to keep my invested EP's with the abbasids)

And it's not Harun al-Rashid that's still alive after 50 years. :D

now we're splitting hairs lol

actually in the medieval era, and especially in the middle east, the scribal class was hereditary. As well, patronage was taken very seriously and loyalty to patrons could easily pass down through the generations........

(I'm desperately trying to come up with something that will allow me to keep my invested EP's with the abbasids)

I don't think a guy on the take would tell his son that's he's betraying his country so he can have some spending money.

Patronage and outright bribery are a bit different. :p

Khorasani Spearman is at 75% vs Mounted by Abna Spearman is still at 50%. Is this intentional?

Why didn't you change Heavy Spearmen to 75% as well?

I got the three warring factions event and I chose the nobility which is supposed to give me 2 stability, but I didn't see my stability go up. Is it supposed to change right away? My stability was very high so that may have something to do with it.

The Abbasid tooltip shows a 1100% bonus instead of 100%. :lol:

Playing as the Abbasids I can't get the Encirclement promotion on my Ghulam Horse Archer. Is this promotion supposed to be restricted to civs that can build the normal horse archers?

Why can't Trebuchets upgrade to Bombards like Catapults do?

In BTS siege engines can have the medic and march line of promotions. Why was that taken away for this game?

I was experimenting with attaching a Great General to a Trebuchet and I was having trouble leveling it up. As far as I can tell siege units only receive one XP at a time because that's what you get when you withdraw. This doesn't seem fair because siege engines can only withdraw or die. IIRC siege engines could kill units but this was changed in BTS. But now siege engines don't receive a comparable xp amount for "winning" battles like regular units do.

There's a chart that tells you how much xp you will receive based on the probability of winning a battle: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7710175#post7710175 (Scroll down to the chart and look at the XP column and the P(survive) without 50% retreat odds. ) If you put those numbers in for siege units I think it would be appropriate for their xp gain. Unfortunately I have no idea where these numbers are located in the mod so I don't know if this idea is totally impractical or pretty easy to implement.

Titles are registered as soon as you take a city even if you decide to raze it. For example, if I have Constantinople and one other city in Anatolia, as soon as I conquer a third city I become the Roman Emperor, even if I raze it.

I'm not sure if this has been changed, but in RFC if your units lost:units killed ratio is at 1:2 or higher, you lose stability. However SoI is on a smaller scale so armies represent fewer people. Could this ratio be lowered?

I always thought the ratio in RFC was too high because it was quite normal to sacrifice multiple units to take cities which only had a couple defenders.

not sure if this is a result of the patch (Ai more likely to create armies) but I seem to be seeing a lot more indie armies around which is pretty cool. three or four spears with catapults is enough to ruin your day if your not expecting it

not sure if this is a result of the patch (Ai more likely to create armies) but I seem to be seeing a lot more indie armies around which is pretty cool. three or four spears with catapults is enough to ruin your day if your not expecting it

I thought he was referring to Great Generals attaching themselves to a unit?

I was experimenting with attaching a Great General to a Trebuchet and I was having trouble leveling it up. As far as I can tell siege units only receive one XP at a time because that's what you get when you withdraw. This doesn't seem fair because siege engines can only withdraw or die. IIRC siege engines could kill units but this was changed in BTS. But now siege engines don't receive a comparable xp amount for "winning" battles like regular units do.

This is just personal opinion but i think siege weapons are extremely powerful already.

Hi, I've been playing this mod for the last few months, and I have to say I love it. The attention to historical detail, the vividly different "feel" of different civilizations and geographic regions, the new realms of military strategy, etc. are all simply amazing.

And the province system... it's what every earth-based map in civ has been missing so far.

I have a couple of questions about the mod.

1. Where can I find out what the respawn periods for various civs are? I've noticed that the mouse-over stability for some older civs cores goes from foreign core to just normal territory, even while they're alive, yet some cores for some civs (such as Cilicia) stay red even while they're dead.

2. Where can I find the unit lists for each civ? I'm asking mostly because of the different cavalry units which are available? Also, making only certain civs able to build some units types was an absolutely brilliant addition.

Just got a Ottoman domination victory in 1636, 29% land, all UHV condition fulfilled, expect it wasn't 1660 yet.

By the time I got all UHV areas and some cities in Nobatia(Nubia) and Iran, my stability was a collapsing -200. In 1610s, I conquered all Nubia, and the collapsing mechanic triggered, I lost all Nobatia and half Georgia. Next turn, my stability became stable 0.

I reconquered the rebel cities soon, and become collapsing -60 ~ -100 again, and lost Nobatia & Georgia again. Next turn, I suddenly became very solid +92.

Again I reconquered the rebel cities, and got domination victory when I was solid +33.

Interesting.

And about late game techs, they are seldom researched or used by AI, even when they are doing well. In my Ottoman game, Byz was stable but without cavalry tactics or any advanced tech; KoJ was large but still backward; Mamluk Sultanate was the most advanced, but they didn't manage to get gunpowder tech&units by 1560s when I invade them, instead they got patronage and built some wonders first. Portugese starts advanced but doesn't seem to research any tech. Mughal starts far advanced compared with those pathetic early & mid Indian civs.

There seems no way an early civ can catch up in mid-late game tech race. Maybe intended, But this makes the game less competeive.

It's because late techs are so expensive, and the effect of a human player diffusing tech when playing an early civ cannot be discounted.

I'm getting a Python Exception when I play as Timurids and go to the victory screen. I tried loading the Byzantines and did not have this problem.

CvVictoryScreen lines 123 and 457.
CvScreensInterface line 220.

The addition of the "Great Saint" ability has made the spread religion requirements much much easier. Especially for the Abbasids as Kufah tends to spit out a lot of prophets.This is not necessarily a bad thing though. I never much liked missionary spam any ways

Top Bottom