City Name Maps

AbsintheRed

Deity
This is the latest city name map thread for RFC Europe
Updating city name maps are a team effort, everyone can contribute.
It's pretty easy start on it, to make a couple changes; not even required to have the latest version of the mod
On the other hand it can be very time consuming to have a complete and historical map, which is perfectly syncronized with the other city name maps
How to edit the maps:
- Download and extract the attached file
- Run the file, you can do that by double clicking on it
- You can start the game with any civ, so even with Byzantium or France (you don't have to wait for the autorun), as only the landmark signs matter
- Enter WorldBuilder, and switch to landmark mode (top left icon)
- Edit the landmarks (right click: remove a previous sign, left click: add a sign to a currently unoccupied spot)
- You can play around with/on the map as long as you wish, the only important thing is to have the city names (and only the city names) in these WB labels in the end
- Save in WorldBuilder (WB save is needed, normal ingame save isn't good), and upload the map back to this thread (the .py file is not needed, only the .CivBeyondSwordWBSave)
General rules with the City Name Maps:
- Historical cities are always preferred, even if they are slightly inaccurate geographically
- Wherever possible, keep the same city name in a 2*2 tile area - to avoid the possibility of 2 cities with the same name
- We have to syncronize the maps as much as possible. So if 2 or more civs have the same tile on their city name maps, then that tile should be the same city
I will keep the first few posts updated with the latest versions of the maps
Note that some civs share the same city name map, notably: France and Burgundy, Germany and Austria and Prussia, Castile and Aragon, Kiev and Novgorod, Cordoba and Morocco
Credits for city name maps are in the next post

General info:
France and Burgundy share the same CNM
Germany, Austria and Prussia share the same CNM
Arabia, Cordoba and Morocco share the same CNM
Novgorod and Kiev share the same CNM (Rus), but not that close to the Muscovian CNM
The 3 Scandinavian CNMs are really close to each other, but still distinct enough
Aragon: positions are based on the Spanish (Castilian) one, language is Aragonese > Catalan > Spanish
Scotland: positions are based on the English one, language is Scottish Gaelic > English

Bigger contributors to the current city name maps:
(since the release of Beta 1, 2010.05.06.)

Byzantium: 3Miro, Kartoffelvampir, Michael Vick, DC123456789 and AbsintheRed
France and Burgundy: Michael Vick, Voyelles, DC123456789
Arabia, Cordoba and Morocco: Morholt, Michael Vick, DC123456789 and AbsintheRed
Bulgaria: 3Miro, AbsintheRed
Venice: Morholt, Michael Vick
Germany, Austria and Prussia: Michael Vick, Morholt, Daffy, krieger546, Kartoffelvampir, HolyHandGrenade, 2phunkey4u, DC123456789, AbsintheRed
Novgorod and Kiev: iOnlySignIn and AbsintheRed
Norway: Sian, krieger546, Morholt, DC123456789
Hungary: DC123456789, AbsintheRed
Spain: Michael Vick, Mardouro, DC123456789
Denmark: Sian, krieger546, Morholt, DC123456789
Scotland: DC123456789
Poland: Morholt, DC123456789, AbsintheRed
Genoa: Morholt, Michael Vick, DC123456789
England: iOnlySignIn, DC123456789, AbsintheRed
Portugal: Michael Vick, Mardouro, Spirictum, DC123456789 and AbsintheRed
Aragon: DC123456789
Sweden: Morholt, krieger546, DC123456789
Lithuania: Morholt, krieger546, DC123456789
Ottomans: Morholt, Kartoffelvampir, DC123456789 and AbsintheRed
Muscovy: iOnlySignIn, AbsintheRed
Dutch: Voyelles, merijn_v1, DC123456789

Earlier contributors include:
(every single part of the RFCE map was revised/improved/fixed since the release of Beta 1)
sedna17, micbic, jessiecat, Jusos2108, Verily, operafantom, Black Whole, onedreamer, Feyaria, Wessel_V1, JediClemente, st.lucifer

Special credit goes to Caliom, for his valuable WB coding
Other coding work connected to RFCE city names: 3Miro, sedna17, AbsintheRed

reserved

NorseTweaked is mine

minor questioning ... how much difference is there even between Kiev/Moscow or France/Burgundy?, don't know to much about them but from what i'm aware the difference is to be overlooked

NorseTweaked is mine

minor questioning ... how much difference is there even between Kiev/Moscow or France/Burgundy?, don't know to much about them but from what i'm aware the difference is to be overlooked

So you will start to improve the norse map with merging those 3?

There are some bigger differences between Kiev and Moscow, but not too much between France and Burgundy
Anyway, this only means our work is easier there ;)

I can do Poland and Lithuania. Also whoever does Kiev probably should have latest SVN since the map changed from Beta11.

I can do Poland and Lithuania. Also whoever does Kiev probably should have latest SVN since the map changed from Beta11.

All the maps are updated to the latest SVN
You can open them with Beta 11 without any problems
If there are no conflicts with the mod's other files (new civs, new preplaced cities, etc.), and this new CivBeyondSwordWBSave file is loaded, it will be based on the latest RFCEurope map

I'm going for the byzantine map, and will also do the ottoman map as well.
Since greek was the language for most of the middle ages, I wanted to use greek city-names (in modern transliteration) instead of latin ones, but i'm not sure if this is popular.
If you guys don't like it, please tell me (only don't spam this thread), I would go with the latin names.
If no one says anything, i'm going to use greek names.

Since greek was the language for most of the middle ages, I wanted to use greek city-names (in modern transliteration) instead of latin ones, but i'm not sure if this is popular.
If you guys don't like it, please tell me (only don't spam this thread), I would go with the latin names.

Early on I had the Balkan area done for Bulgaria, Byzantium and Turkey. The cities were all in alignment. The map has changes since.

I will go back and fix the names myself, with the appropriate names in the appropriate languages, we need only small tweaks anyway.

The maps in Asia need work.

I slighly prefer latin over greek, even if it's a little ahistorical.
But if the majority of the people here want greek, that's also fine with me

Early on I had the Balkan area done for Bulgaria, Byzantium and Turkey. The cities were all in alignment. The map has changes since.

I will go back and fix the names myself, with the appropriate names in the appropriate languages, we need only small tweaks anyway.

The maps in Asia need work.

You can make your updates after Kartoffelvampir reuploaded his version of Byzantium
I want all the maps to be improved continually, not just once by one person...

I slighly prefer latin over greek, even if it's a little ahistorical.
But if the majority of the people here want greek, that's also fine with me

We use native names for all civs.

You can make your updates after Kartoffelvampir reuploaded his version of Byzantium
I want all the maps to be improved continually, not just once by one person...

I have plenty of other things to do so there is no rush.

Poland and Lithuania name maps.

Mostly done from scratch since the map changed, synchronized with each other but maybe not with Germany/Russians.

Attachments

• MorholtPolandLithuaniaNames.zip
    87.9 KB · Views: 176
So you will start to improve the norse map with merging those 3?

There are some bigger differences between Kiev and Moscow, but not too much between France and Burgundy
Anyway, this only means our work is easier there ;)

If nobody objects, I will look in to better merging France, Burgundy, and Germany as I mentioned before. It can't hurt to have Austrian names here too, right? in case the player get ambitious and historical? Also does Spain have names in Franche-Comte? Doesn't seem urgent, but you know, for the player.

Please upload the Spanish, Portuguese, and Cordoban maps? :please:

I'd like to look in to better merging France, Burgundy, and Germany as I mentioned before. It can't hurt to have Austrian names here too, in case the player get ambitious and historical? Also does Spain have names in Franche-Comte? Doesn't seem urgent, but you know, for the player.

Please upload the Spanish, Portuguese, and Cordoban maps? :please:

Yes, naturally all the maps will be up
I just wanted to wait with the Spanish, Portuguese and Cordoban maps, because I plan to make some bigger changes in/with the Iberian peninsula.
Didn't want that you guys work twice on the same thing

Poland and Lithuania name maps.

Mostly done from scratch since the map changed, synchronized with each other but maybe not with Germany/Russians.

Awesome!
Can you maybe merge the Norse and Swedish name maps in the 2nd post, and syncronize with these?

Yes, naturally all the maps will be up
I just wanted to wait with the Spanish, Portuguese and Cordoban maps, because I plan to make some bigger changes in/with the Iberian peninsula.
Didn't want that you guys work twice on the same thing

Sounds interesting. I'm doing the French map now, and the coastline in Africa seems to have been shifted so that France doesn't have any names on the coast. The Cordoba or Spain map would have been useful, I'll leave it for when your new Iberia is up then. Consider adding the Cap de la Nao in your edit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabo_de_la_Nao

We only have a straight coastline there, yet France has a city name on that tile of coast, so it was added and removed?

Attention anyone who is updating North Africa name maps:

I just remembered that I made this updated Arab/Cordoban name map at the same time as the new Maghreb. Might be useful as reference, and so that all maps are synchronized with each other.

Attachments

• MaghrebCityNameMap.CivBeyondSwordWBSave.zip
    46.2 KB · Views: 219
My contribution to the French names!
Inconsistencies typos etc ironed out, names in Spain, Italy and the holy land still in need of work.

PS: I reckon English map needs a revision especially Wales.

Attachments

• French Fixed.zip
    49.5 KB · Views: 224
My contribution to the French names!
Inconsistencies typos etc ironed out, names in Spain, Italy and the holy land still in need of work.

PS: I reckon English map needs a revision especially Wales.

I'll use your synchronizations with Germany, Voyelles. I've refined the French map to include all of Italy, Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica, Corfu, Catalonia and Navarre. Holy Land is next. That will leave only Northern Africa. Maybe I could add names in the Middle East for Napoleon's conquests as well..

Question, these French maps that we're making are meant to replace any Burgundian map, right? Same for Austria/Germany? They're exactly the same no matter how much territory is covered, right?

EDIT: Question for Voyelles, since you are French (I hope?:)) : Do you recommend including the dashes in certain names? Such as Andorre-la-Vieille? Saint-Malo? Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle, etc.?

Top Bottom