Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions

Old Aug 14, 2011, 02:41 PM   #1
avpavlov
Chieftain

Fixing broken Hall of fame and removing surplus records

Hi folks.

If one day you have got broken Hall of fame (i.e. missed rows, "you are not finished any games" label over your results etc) then reasons are missed player's and player civilization's names and it is easy to fix

1) download SQLite shell for your OS from here http://www.sqlite.org/download.html
2) extract sqlite3.exe (from here and forward there will be Windows OS instructions) to your "Documents\My games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Replays\" folder
3) Go to "Documents\My games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Replays\" folder
4) Copy HallOfFameDatabase.db to save place (to allow to restore if something went wrong)
5) execute sqlite3.exe HallOfFameDatabase.db
6) execute update Victories set PlayerLeaderName='YOUR_NAME_HERE';
7) execute (copy/paste/execute all text in bold below as single query)
update Victories
set PlayerCivilizationName = substr(replace(PlayerCivilizationType, 'CIVILIZATION_',''),1,1)
|| lower(substr(replace(PlayerCivilizationType, 'CIVILIZATION_',''),2))
where PlayerCivilizationName='' or PlayerCivilizationName is null;

8) execute .exit
9) it's all. Run CIV5 and verify hall of fame is ok. If not then restore it from saved copy and ask question of forum

Also, if you have surplus entries in Hall of fame which you want to delete (e.g. you tried last turns multiple times and game remembered all attempts or you just want to remove some shameful records ) then do following

1) 1-5 steps from instruction above
2) execute .schema
3) you will see list of columns in table Victories. Now you should decide which ones allow to identify surplus rows, for example VictoryType, Score, PlayerTeamWon
4) execute select VictoryType, Score, PlayerTeamWon, rowid from Victories;
5) Notice rowid - it is hidden unique ID column. Find rows you want delete and remember its IDs (last number in row)
6) Execute delete from Victories where rowid in (List_of_IDs_to_remove);
for example delete from Victories where rowid in (1,2,3)
7) execute .exit
8) it's all. Run CIV5 and verify hall of fame is ok. If not then restore it from saved copy and ask question of forum

PS

There is my post about merging vanilla and G&L Hall of Fames http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12014390

Last edited by avpavlov; Nov 22, 2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: cross linking with new post
avpavlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Valbuena
Warlord

the thing is i don't even get victory screens in my game
Valbuena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 08:28 AM   #3
vsipinen
Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by avpavlov View Post
Hi folks.

If one day you have got broken Hall of fame (i.e. missed rows, "you are not finished any games" label over your results etc) then reasons are inconsistent player's and player civilization's names and it is easy to fix

1) download SQLite shell for your OS from here http://www.sqlite.org/download.html
2) extract sqlite3.exe (from here and forward there will be Windows OS instructions) to your "Documents\My games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Replays\" folder
3) Go to "Documents\My games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Replays\" folder
4) Copy HallOfFameDatabase.db to save place (to allow to restore if something went wrong)
5) execute sqlite3.exe HallOfFameDatabase.db
6) execute update Victories set PlayerLeaderName='YOUR_NAME_HERE';
7) (optional) sqlite> update Victories set PlayerCivilizationName='';
8) execute .exit
9) it's all. Run CIV5 and verify hall of fame is ok. If not then restore it from saved copy and ask question of forum

Also, if you have surplus entries in Hall of fame which you want to delete (e.g. you tried last turns multiple times and game remembered all attempts or you just want to remove some shameful records then do following

1) 1-5 steps from instruction above
2) execute ".schema"
3) you will see list of columns in table Victories. Now you should decide which ones allow to identify surplus rows, for example VictoryType, Score, PlayerTeamWon
4) execute select VictoryType, Score, PlayerTeamWon, rowid from Victories;
5) Notice rowid - it is unique ID column. Find rows you want delete and last number will be this ID
6) Execute delete from Victories where rowid in (List_of_IDs_to_remove);
for example delete from Victories where rowid in (1,2,3)
7) execute .exit
8) it's all.
Thanks for the information ! I got recently the problem of broken Hall of Fame and I intend to try to fix that according to these instructions. However I would like to get clarification about two things:

1. What the "inconsistent player's and player's civilization's names" actually means ? Does it mean that the player is forced to use the default name for the civilization leader ? Is it not possible to give custom name for leader anymore ?

2. What exactly should be used as "YOUR_NAME_HERE" in the step 6 of the Hall of Fame fixing procedure ? First I thought that it would be the name of the Civilization leader in the broken line of the Hall of Fame, but could it be that, if only default leader names are allowed (and custom name was used) ?
vsipinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 08:52 AM   #4
HappyBuilder
Chieftain

So that's what happened to my Hall of Fame - I had the audacity to rename Washington Kennedy. Has this been a problem from the get go or is it a recent patch error? Oddly enough, I had not completed a game where I had renamed my leader until last week. That's what I get for reading a Kennedy biography.

Since all of my Hall of Fame scores are generally terrible (best score was from the first game I played back when the game was first released), I probably won't take the time to go through the process of fixing it myself. Hopefully, Firaxis can make the change next patch. Doesn't look complicated.

HB
HappyBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Biche2
Chieftain

Work fine for me!

Thanks for the tips, i was sad not to see my scores
Biche2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:21 AM   #6
vsipinen
Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biche2 View Post
Work fine for me!

Thanks for the tips, i was sad not to see my scores

So what did put to 'YOUR_NAME_HERE' ?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:04 PM   #7
HappyBuilder
Chieftain

[deleted]

Last edited by HappyBuilder; Aug 17, 2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Bad info
HappyBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:05 PM   #8
avpavlov
Chieftain

Quote:
1. What the "inconsistent player's and player's civilization's names" actually means ? Does it mean that the player is forced to use the default name for the civilization leader ? Is it not possible to give custom name for leader anymore ?

2. What exactly should be used as "YOUR_NAME_HERE" in the step 6 of the Hall of Fame fixing procedure ? First I thought that it would be the name of the Civilization leader in the broken line of the Hall of Fame, but could it be that, if only default leader names are allowed (and custom name was used) ?
I will answer in reverse order

2. Put here name which you want to see in hall of fame When I'm starting new game I usually change default leader's name to my own. I used to do it since Civ4 because it wrote leader's name in score list while Civ 5 writes "You" which is easier to find in list.

1. I do not know how but some history records did not have player's name filled - looks like Civ5 bug. Alsp, I found then civlization's name is not filled in some records (I never changed it when starting game). I fixed both fields without investigation which one breaks hall of fame (however, I'm 99% sure it is player's name). If you wish you can try fix player's name first, check hall of fame and if it is still broken then fix second field.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:15 PM   #9
avpavlov
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valbuena View Post
the thing is i don't even get victory screens in my game
To be honest. I'm really missing Civ 4 (and earlier) feature "retire". When at some point I do not want to continue playing I still want to register this result as defeat. In past Civ's versions it was very interesting to see all past attempts to won, let say, England on Tiny islands as King.

In Civ5 you can register victories only or defeats if other civilization won the game. It is drawback in comparison with Civ3&4
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:52 AM   #10
vsipinen
Warlord

Quote:
I will answer in reverse order

2. Put here name which you want to see in hall of fame When I'm starting new game I usually change default leader's name to my own. I used to do it since Civ4 because it wrote leader's name in score list while Civ 5 writes "You" which is easier to find in list.

1. I do not know how but some history records did not have player's name filled - looks like Civ5 bug. Alsp, I found then civlization's name is not filled in some records (I never changed it when starting game). I fixed both fields without investigation which one breaks hall of fame (however, I'm 99% sure it is player's name). If you wish you can try fix player's name first, check hall of fame and if it is still broken then fix second field.
Thanks for the answers ! I am though now little puzzled about how it is indicated which line of the Hall of Fame should be updated ? How the affected record is selected, when I would like to only fix the corrupted record and not modify all records ?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:50 AM   #11
avpavlov
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsipinen View Post
Thanks for the answers ! I am though now little puzzled about how it is indicated which line of the Hall of Fame should be updated ? How the affected record is selected, when I would like to only fix the corrupted record and not modify all records ?
Execute at 6th step

update Victories set PlayerLeaderName='YOUR_NAME_HERE' where PlayerLeaderName='' or PlayerLeaderName is null;
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:51 PM   #12
robal1991
Chieftain

Quote:

7) (optional) update Victories set PlayerCivilizationName='';
I doubt this is correct. I left this column epmty and it wasnt OK. I think that there must be something in each cell.
I put there my Civ name, like France, Germany, Persia etc and it's OK now!!

Thanks for your post
robal1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:35 PM   #13
avpavlov
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by robal1991 View Post
I doubt this is correct. I left this column epmty and it wasnt OK. I think that there must be something in each cell.
Seems you are right. I thought it is not displayed in Hall of fame so did not pay enough attention.

Correct script should be (will update original post shortly)

update Victories
set PlayerCivilizationName = substr(replace(PlayerCivilizationType, 'CIVILIZATION_',''),1,1)
Old Aug 21, 2011, 04:54 AM   #14
vsipinen
Warlord

Quote:
Seems you are right. I thought it is not displayed in Hall of fame so did not pay enough attention.

Correct script should be (will update original post shortly)

update Victories

Thanks for these advices ! I managed to fix my Hall of Fame, and it was the above mentioned command that made the trick. When I first tried to fix the player name field, also the lines that were previously ok, were broken. After I restored the orginal file, I noticed then that the civilization name field was broken instead of player name. However it was strange that attempt to update null player name fields corrupted the previously valid records or at least the first one (perhaps I made some mistake with that command although I mostly copy pasted it).
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:24 PM   #15
Peets
King

I found an easier way.
Download the program SQLite Expert Personal.
Load the database in it.
Then fill in all the <null> in.
And it is fixed.
You have to do this everytime you finish a game though.
Peets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:43 PM   #16
Nekator
Master of Desaster

very helpful thread, thank you!
Old May 26, 2013, 08:47 AM   #17
raiderfan72
Chieftain

Worked like a champ

I had the same problem on a Mac, worked perfectly. Thank you. This had been broken for a long time.
raiderfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 05:00 PM   #18
ahawk
King

Quote:
To be honest. I'm really missing Civ 4 (and earlier) feature "retire". When at some point I do not want to continue playing I still want to register this result as defeat. In past Civ's versions it was very interesting to see all past attempts to won, let say, England on Tiny islands as King.

In Civ5 you can register victories only or defeats if other civilization won the game. It is drawback in comparison with Civ3&4
I agree with this 100%. When I go to quit, it'd be nice to have an option that counts the game as a defeat. Because of this being absent, I have over 150+ games that have been abandoned without ever actually registering as a loss.
ahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 10:57 PM   #19
avpavlov
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahawk View Post
I agree with this 100%. When I go to quit, it'd be nice to have an option that counts the game as a defeat. Because of this being absent, I have over 150+ games that have been abandoned without ever actually registering as a loss.
They removed Retire option from the menu but shortcut stills available. Use Alt+R :-)
Old Oct 02, 2013, 03:20 PM   #20
Musta Perkele
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peets View Post
I found an easier way.
Download the program SQLite Expert Personal.
Load the database in it.
Then fill in all the <null> in.
And it is fixed.
You have to do this everytime you finish a game though.
Didn't help me. How do you fill them? I mean the exact manner? Should it be for example LEADER_WILLIAM CIVILIZATION_NETHERLANDS??? Are there other procedures I'm missing?
Musta Perkele is offline   Reply With Quote