[BTS] "Rise of the English" - Hall of Fame Challenge Series XX

Noble Zarkon

Elite Quattromaster - Immortal (BTS)
Super Moderator
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
The Hall of Fame Team would like to welcome new players, and welcome back old vets, to the 20th running of the Civfanatics Civ IV Hall of Fame Challenge Series.

HOF Challenge XX is a collection of 10 games running from 25th June to 24th January 2019. The winner will be the person who collects the most points (10 for 1st in each individual game, down to 1 for 10th). Progress and results for all games can be found at http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/challenge.php. There are individual threads for each game in the Challenge Series forum so head on over and check it out.

For those unfamiliar with the CFC Hall of Fame (HOF), we encourage you to try the challenge as a way of introducing yourself to the HOF. The Challenge series is just one feature of the HOF. A Gauntlet series of games is run monthly. In addition you can simply submit any of your games to the HOF. All valid games are recorded to a database and ranked under various categories. The HOF enables you to compare your progress against other HOFers over all time or simply track your own progress. In other words, the HOF is as competitive as you want it to be.

In addition, the CFC HOF offers two ongoing challenge/achievements called the Quatromasters and Elite Quatromasters which can be found here. All valid game submissions to the HOF apply toward your progress to these long-term achievements. Are you up for the challenge? :)

Full details here.

All of the games need to be played using version 5 of the BUFFY mod (BUFFY-3.19.005), found here. Standard Hall of Fame Rules apply to all games.

:band::beer::banana:

I seem to be having an issue with Buffy 3.19.005.
Sometimes I get a white arrow, everything freezes, and all I can do is press ''escape'' which shuts down the program and everything is lost without saving.
I have no idea what triggers this. The only thing I can think of is update pop up interference and such. At first I could work around it accepting this would happen once or twice in an early stage, but today was a pretty bad day. It just kept happening (like 4-5 timmes) ruining all my attempts.

Is it just me having this problem. Does anybody have some advice/solution??

I seem to be having an issue with Buffy 3.19.005.

While generally better to discuss this over in HOF forum, I'll instead suggest a discussion here to gratuitously keep this thread bumped. :D

Only a couple of issues were reported, but turned out to be system/version related. So right now, 005 is running fine for everyone that reported, but a couple of players had to tweak some things on their machines mainly I think as they were quite old..

Not sure what you mean by white arrow, but we will need more info on your setup. Could be anything from mod conflicts to not do the HOF tweaks found here http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista. (although Win 7 compatibility mode should be fine) Let us know what version of CIv IV you have as well (disks, Steam, other DD sites and what)

Here is the normal place to discuss this and you might find some ideas reading through it:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/buffy-005-launched-try-it-out-with-3-new-gauntlets.633206/

Is it just me having this problem. Does anybody have some advice/solution??

I continue to have crashing problems with .005 as well, that I never had with .003, with the same settings and the same machine. There is something to this, but it's not obvious how to move forward with finding out what it is. I can get more reliability by closing down everything but Civ4 on my machine, but it's still not as stable as .003. (Running on Win7, with an 8GB laptop in low-res with all the graphics turned down to minimal).

Not sure what you mean by white arrow, but we will need more info on your setup. Could be anything from mod conflicts to not do the HOF tweaks found here http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista. (although Win 7 compatibility mode should be fine) Let us know what version of CIv IV you have as well (disks, Steam, other DD sites and what)

I've implemented the File permission / Game folder tweak (in my folder tree it's called 2K games, not Firaxis). I won't be playing any sooner than this weekend, so fingers crossed for this to work.

Some system properties info:
Win8.1 UltimateV2.1
Intel(R) core(TM)2 quad CPU Q8200 @ 2,33 GH / 4GB / 64bits
Civilization IV complete => BtS 3.1.9.0 (2009, final release)

Okay, I see now ''white arrow'' is a rather childish description (Dutch guy trying to communicate in English :confused:).
Better expressed, one thing that happens when the failure occurs is that the mouse pointer turns into the Icon that normally indicates a pop up in the background .
It used to only appear in a small right+bottom corner of the screen and with a mouseclick in that section I would pop down my Civ game, close the pop up and return to the game. (the failure type can be seen all over the screen and only get rid of the hard way afaik)

Both ways do appear by the way, the ''good'' way and the ''failure'' way.

Civilization IV complete => BtS 3.1.9.0 (2009, final release)

I'm assuming it is just a typo but that is not the final version of BTS. Granted you should not be able to run BUFFY at all on an older BTS version. Most vendors should have CIV IV Complete fully patched, but I think some may require patching. Not sure as it has been a while for me (I have several versions of IV and now using Steam) Where did you get your copy?

Well, whole mouse thing is just locked up from the freeze. Just saying game froze is sufficient although any messages are good to note. Ha..been to Netherlands twice ...yall speak pretty darn good English over there.

Win 8 can be a little problematic too. For one, the OS completely sucked donkey nuggets. Make sure you set the BTS executable to Compatibility Mode for Win 7 and set it to "run as administrator".

Rig looks fine but that does not rule out other issues on your system. Could also be a mod conflict. Try cleaning up your machine some too if you have not in a while. Check disk space and background processes.

Top Bottom