TSG18 Game in Progress

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG18 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through about the first 80 to 100 turns. How did your planning change to make adjustments for the many changes in the recent patch?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- What tech path did you follow?
- Did you try to build any wonders?

Once you've completed the game, head over to the TSG18 After Action Report thread.

I've never attempted diplomatic victory before so not really sure what the best plan is.

I decided that as I need to get all the way across the tech tree to globalisation, I'd play as I would for a science victory with just a slight difference as I get down the tech tree. I usually end up snapping up a lot of city states when I do that anyway.
Am I missing something?

Also never played as Sullemain before so thought I'd try out the trireme trick if I can.

Pretty slow going; I focussed on GL and NC before settling any other spots. Bought a couple of triremes to explore during that period.

Obviously, egypt settled the gems and became hostile as I was pretty puny during that period.
Tried to get a navy built up by stealing barbs which didn't seem to work that well - think I've got a navy of 4 now. :eek:

Found the iron island at the top and settled; upgraded 4 swordsman and twonked one of egypts cities. So I now have 3 cities + a puppet on the main island and an iron town at the top.
I guess arabia will cause me some issues down the line with their city states, so may have to deal with them.

I've found all but one civ.

I'm about 150 turns in now.

I took tradition but fast expanded anyway (settler on 3 pop in capital!). I settled the coast near Sydney and also took the gems. I went scouting with scout (archer) and trireme finding many goody huts. Very unlucky with the UA, not converted any barbs yet!! I've put HG in capital and colossus near sydney. That was my plan. I'm going heavy gold and culture with Piety (all my wines, monasteries) and now Patronage. I might fill Patronage then go Commerce. I'm not doing very well on science though. Just settled the 4th and 5 cities in the south of my capital for the wines and on the iron island respectively.

Egypt has beaten me to many wonders and I think I will take his capital (his other cities are on the adjacent island) then just continue to make pots of cash and wait for somebody to make the UN (as I am a bit slow on tech for that I think. No NC even yet).

I thought of a tradition opener and a peaceful game but my overzealous neighbor made that impossible. I'm embarrassed I couldn't dominate on King.

Spoiler :
Lack of Iron hurt real bad. Took me 150 turns to take Ramses b/c my entire strategy depended on being able to upgrade. None of the city states had it and it took me forever to find some even tho I had a huge navy. After taking Ramsey's two good cities I took up a peaceful strategy and research agreed my way to a good position. Sadly the Arabs were keeping up in tech and populating the planet like mold. Ramsey continued to be a jerk so I eventually had to dispatch him but then everybody else on the planet declared war on me. I quit around turn 315. I had a ton of CS allies but when everybody declared war on me they took over half my allies. I don't know if I could have still won or not. Somehow I seriously doubt it. I wasn't close on any VC condition.

I started building 2 other cities, one to the very south of the continent, one east towards Ramses. I knew from experience that Ramses would be a civ that would compete for victory if it wasnt attacked. Thus I decided to take him down, built 5 archers early on and after some struggle i took his strength 12 capital. He has one more city on the other continent and keeps being angry.

As the game developed i missed out on focusing on making money, hardly have huts and I am making -40gpt that I have to get back from trading and pillaging. It seems like after the patch I dont get as much money for luxes anymore.

Now the arab is in my focus who is leading in military and tech and money. It is almost too late to take him down but I will try... started to build a lot of musketeer replacements but now I just saw his first rifleman. Ouch. Will try to attack with around 4 cannons and 5 of the UUs...

Have gotten up to turn 175 ...

Settled on the Wheat east of the starting position to ensure sea access, went for a GL then NC start ... SPs: first two of Tradition (to speed up GL) and then switched to Liberty, working my way through the whole tree. Settled the free settler NE of my cap near the gems to box Egypt in --> they didn't get angry at me, instead they got afraid. I capitalized on that and secured them as friends (and took their cash for my extra wine). They've settled some other islands nearby, but no super-awesome real estate and have been friendly to me ever since (helps that I gave them back a barbarian-captured settler). Have at least 4 triremes on the water exploring right now, have met Arabia but no others I think, one of the triremes was stolen from barbarians. Have found the iron island in the NNW, am planning to settle it next.

Have GL, NC, Oracle at capital, going to try to get HS hooked up and do my best to make the cap a GS factory, planning on settling west of cap facing Sydney and south near additional wine after the iron island is settled.

Been focussed on climbing towards Education on the tech tree for the most part, almost there now.

Played until turn 150. Got a nice start, i settled on wine and disacovered calendar from a hut on turn 9 :eek:! I immediately sold the luxury to Egypt. I settled on the gem site and west on shore to capture whales(i bought the tile immediately because Egypt has settled right north of cap). Stayed with 3 cities so far, exploring around the land and contact other AIs. Only Egypt is hostile. All others are friendly. Thebes possess same luxuries than me, not useful if i conquer him.

I built PT and ND back to back from 2 GE and continued to sold extra happiness. 4 RAs have matured and got my farther in the tech tree. Missed the GL by 1 turn(well i put this wonder at 1 turn of completion to get Astro from it, but 2 turns too late. I signed a RA from the failure gold to reduce collateral damages). Used Oracle to open freedom(combined with rationalism).

I'm building the NT and banks before Ironworks right now. Signed 2 other RAs. I allied 2 cultural cs so far and i will fill a second policy in patronnage soon, then i will fill the rest of the lest side of Rationalism. So far so good. I'm happy with what i see.

Land :
Spoiler :

Tech tree :
Spoiler :

Policies :
Spoiler :

After a maginficent start I got myself sucked into a self imposed war of ego....

...you know one of those wars where you're going to take the darn city if it's the last thing you do...and then realise you've pickled your game because you were too stubborn to let go of it. :lol:

Got a lot of clicking left, can still win as I'm now isolated enough to avoid further conflict, but it's going to be a heck of a micromanagement battle to get there.

Think I've fluffed this one though. :(

Becomedeath wrote:
...you know one of those wars where you're going to take the darn city if it's the last thing you do

I'm just curious what city you're talking about? Was it Cathy's or Monty's Capital??

edit: oops, I'm mixing things up with TSG17 :blush:

Thebes.

Made the decision to start the war painfully late, had to produce a load of units to stop an incoming army and reclaim some land and before I knew it I was tied down in a war against a technologically superior and resource abundant Civ.

Poorly planned and executed on my part. I made a U turn from what was effectively a OCC game to a war effort and wasn't prepared for it sufficently. Just badly played.

I've never played a Game of the Month and I'll admit to only finishing one full game of CIV5 in which I won a Science Victory, (which was yesterday). But I really want to join the community here, because I'm amazed about how many diehard Civ players there are. So I'm joining this GOTM. Its also a higher level than I'm used to playing on, so I expect to get slaughtered but I'm looking forward to learning from everyone else. I have a bad feeling that Egypt being so close to me is going to be rough, I generally try to improve my surroundings and my cities too much before I focus on military because I feel like I fall behind when I go military, so other civs usually sweep in quickly and give me a hard time lol. I'm gonna try to pump a little more into my military but keeping incoming and military is tough... Like I said I'm looking forward to learning from others.

Welcome to GoTM. :wavey:

Please do not be afraid to ask question. This place is as much about learning as it is about friendly competition. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately due to the hurricane, my comp froze and I lost much of my progress, I was 30 turns away from globalization with more than enough votes.. I tried to go back to the game but I was so far back I just cant go through it again lol. I am all about GOTM though and look forward to next months, I just can't go back and play through most of the game again lol.

But at least now I know I can competently play a Diplomatic game.

Unfortunately due to the hurricane, my comp froze and I lost much of my progress, I was 30 turns away from globalization with more than enough votes.. I tried to go back to the game but I was so far back I just cant go through it again lol. I am all about GOTM though and look forward to next months, I just can't go back and play through most of the game again lol.

But at least now I know I can competently play a Diplomatic game.
Civ5 makes autosaves for you as you play. You can access them by going to the single player menu and then load game. When the game shows the load game screen, in the upper right hand corner of the window you should see "autosaves". Click on it and you should then see the autosaves available to you. Please select the one closest to the game date the crash occur and play it as closely as possible to what you originally did.

Your autosave interval should be 1. This is set in the options menu under the interface tab.

Hopefully, you haven't repalyed enough to wipe out the autosaves from before you reloaded to way back when?

Hope this helps. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

I understand that the main point for diplo vic is getting to UN fast. I see people getting it at turn 220-230... I know that you need lot of RA for it. But still how do you get it so fast?

Is Porcelain tower a must? does it matter a lot the tech path you choose in the mid game? Could someone post a table showing the year-turn/bulbs relation (at least for some reference turns (50/75/100...)) even if still RA are a major part to it? I am falling behind in tech, but you still need to create units, wonders, some buildings ... right?

My game is targeting for 300 something, with luck less than 350. In year 220 I had still something like 25-30 techs before Globalization.

Top Bottom