News: TSG19 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 19
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the nineteenth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It’s better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Culture. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Culture victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time. Good Luck!

In this game you will play as Bismarck and lead the German civilization to victory. It’s a standard sized random map played at Deity difficulty and at standard pace. Culture victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until October 1st to complete the game and submit.

It seems the new patches for windows puts Mac players on the sidelines again as they await their patches. Hope it is a short wait. :please:

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time. :nono:

Civ V - TSG19 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Bismarck - German
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Random
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Deity
Temperature: Temperate
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Promotion saving is enabled. Quick Combat is disabled (You can enable it by following instructions in this link.) Policy saving was enabled in the options on creation but did not seem to function in testing..
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 version 1.0.1.383

In this game, you will be playing as Bismarck, you possess Furor Teutonicus. Upon defeating a Barbarian unit inside an encampment, you earn 25 Gold and there is a 50% chance that they join your side. You pay 25% less for land unit maintenance.

You can train the Landsknecht, which replaces the Pikeman. The unit receives a significant combat bonus against Knights and other mounted units and is much cheaper to build than the Pikeman it replaces. You must discover the technology of Civil Service to build it.

You can also train the Panzer, which replaces the Tank. The unit is a fast and powerful Industrial Era unit. It is incredibly effective in open ground but receives a penalty when attacking cities or is on defense. You must discover the technology of Combustion and have a source of oil to build it.

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for four weeks and ends Saturday, 1 October 2011.

The Save can be found here.

Heard calls for a Deity game, so here it is. Good Luck, you will need it. :thumbsup:

First, apologies for the delay in posting it. Some small technical problems now solved.

If you have not played at Deity, may want to try it first in a random game as it is "different". Testing this was interesting. :)

Lastly, with the 19th game, we have completed our run through of the various leaders of Civ5, at least of the non-dlc or free dlc leaders. :)

Excellent! Growth and shields to start and the talk of the past month as a vc. Germany. Is this a hint that the path to victory is through the sword for Deity culture?

I'll move the warrier first but probably settle in place. This because given the random map it might be worthwhile being on the coast. Good for culture too.

Omg Deity, culture win with a leader who is totally not good for it, it just sick hard.
Wonder if anyone will be able to do this in one try at all...

in place looks good to me ... my experience so far on Deity is that you may find a massive warrior rush on your doorstep really early while you try to keep up tech- and money-wise, having the capital tightly between the river and the coast is a great defensive position early game, and the southern hills will be great production once berlin is up to size ...

The problem with settling on the spices is that not only do you lose a turn, you can't get the warrior up there to take a look. Settling in place gives you at least 7 hills in your city range, which will become important when it's time to build Utopia.

Omg Deity, culture win with a leader who is totally not good for it, it just sick hard.
Wonder if anyone will be able to do this in one try at all...

Having similar thoughts..too afraid to even try this !

Having similar thoughts..too afraid to even try this !
What's to fear? The worst that can happen is that you might lose.

At least you can compare your loss to others. :mischief:

This is going to be a seriously hard challenge, I'm thinking settling in place, going tall and trying to muster an army using Bismarks UA instead of hardbuilding it, should save me some precious early turns for other construction. I will probably NC first, and then expand if the land is good for it, looks like a good start though. :)

Tried a few test games with same settings... I'm getting eaten alive!!!
I tried going honour first and picking up some barbs but struggled to get any. :-(

Think I need to review a few of maddjinns LPs and see how the hell he gets started! he makes it look so easy!

my experience of deity game is - deity = settler

absolutly same "strategies" work, only advantage for you: AI got more gold to give away - use this to yourself!

Being kind of agrresive is imo WAY more better then staying back all game untill some ai is so strong to attack self - build/rush buy some units - get luxes asap to get money to do so is imo most important in this setting - as sson as u gots units to frighten the barb camps and CS are yours

I'll have a go and see how far I get. I would be tempted to go one step East, just to get more landtiles, as there's nothing tempting in the Ocean. But losing a single turn here would probably make me too paranoid, and there are early tiles to see you capital of to a good start.

Chop chop then puppets.

Long time Civ player here. I think I may jump into the fray here I have been a casual observer over the last few Civ games. I played a few of the other games the last couple of weeks just for fun and to see how I would do. I am not much of a power gamer where I try to game the system though but I do manage to win most games just not as fast as some of you power gamers here :).

So I think I picked a bad game to jump in to. I have run a couple test games on deity and the AI is brutal. I have held my own on the level under it and won a cultural the other day on it but this is like a whole new monster. I am scared to try the save and get squashed on my first GOTM haha!

I've played most of the GOTM games but never posted any results. This one looks very interesting. Prepare to be dazzled by my horribleness!

My skills have been going down not up lately. This will be suicide methinks. I'm going to settle on the spices and go for a one city approach. I'm going to build quite a few units and go for honor tradition and piety. I'll probably go for the cultural wonders I think I can get, ignore all others, and rely exclusively on RAs for science. I will almost certainly fail miserably. My goal is to at least win one war, then take it from there...

Top Bottom