When Lot offered his daughters to the angry mob...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tycho Brahe

Emperor
Lot is the guy from the old testament who was warned about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah so he and his family could leave to live. His wife looked back and turned into a pillar of salt.

Okay but heres my question: When the angels arrive to Lots house, men from the city...
...gathered around Lot's house demanding he bring his two guests out that they might "know" them. Lot went out and closed the door behind him and prayed that they not do such wicked things, and offered them his virgin daughters, that had not "known" man, that they might know them instead, and do with as they pleased. His response infuriated the men of Sodom who accused him of being judgmental and they threatened to do worse to him than they would have done to the men

What's the meaning of this? How can he offer his daughters as bribe? Was that acceptable to those who wrote the bible?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lot_(biblical_person)#Lot_and_his_daughters

considering the low value of daughters in most archaic societies i think it's safe to say that, yes, it was acceptable to those who wrote the bible.

I was thought (the Islamic view) that Lot offered his daughters to the gay men in the mob as wives? in the context of stop being gay and get married with a woman.

Inspired scripture, ladies and gentlemen. This is what is supposed to constitute our basis for morality according to the religious right. :lol:

I was thought (the Islamic view) that Lot offered his daughters to the gay men in the mob as wives? in the context of stop being gay and get married with a woman.

Maybe that is so in Islam, but only because Mohammad chose to edit out almost everything that portrayed godly men in a negative light.

That was my next question. What did the mob WANT the guests for? Theres the answer. :D

It certainly tells how bad the people in that city was. "Look, two strangers just arrived. Lets rape them!"

Inspired scripture, ladies and gentlemen. This is what is supposed to constitute our basis for morality according to the religious right. :lol:

Well, protecting your guests is very honorable. I just think he takes it a bit to far.

Maybe that is so in Islam, but only because Mohammad chose to edit out almost everything that portrayed godly men in a negative light.

I thought every religion did that, do you really think any of the godly men in the bible are portrayed as such, sure as in every religion they may do bad things but the end point is they are morally good? Every religion does that.

That was my next question. What did the mob WANT the guests for? Theres the answer. :D

Other translations answer this too ^^.
My version of the bible here says explicitely that they want to have them for sex, but the exact meaning only the original can tell us, i guess.

Other translations answer this too ^^.
My version of the bible here says explicitely that they want to have them for sex, but the exact meaning only the original can tell us, i guess.

Blimey! So does my own danish bible.

Bear in mind that a lot of historic cultures in that area had great hospitality mores to the point where one’s guests were more important than one’s family. Lot’s reaction reflects this.

Well, that and that his guests were messengers of God and therefore more important than his daughters.

Well, that and his guests are generally understood to be male and therefore more important than women.

This story has always been a tough one...
I mean, why the hell did Lot continue to live in a city that wanted to anally rape male visitors upon arrival?

I believe Lot also knew the visitors were angels, not mere men, so offering his daughter's to defend God's own isn't quite as bad as it first seems...

It would suck to have to answer up to God that you did nothing to defend his angels on judgment day... however, Lot should have known that the angels could protect themselves most likely!

Anyhow, I think this story is mainly a parable, by the way, not meant to be taken 100% literally.

I mean, why the hell did Lot continue to live in a city that wanted to anally rape male visitors upon arrival?
You mean, Boston? (Also, Newport Beach.)

Lots story is softcore compared to the similar later one. His daughters didn't get gang raped, died of exhaustion then get chopped up and trashed.

I believe Lot also knew the visitors were angels, not mere men, so offering his daughter's to defend God's own isn't quite as bad as it first seems...

It would suck to have to answer up to God that you did nothing to defend his angels on judgment day... however, Lot should have known that the angels could protect themselves most likely!

Anyhow, I think this story is mainly a parable, by the way, not meant to be taken 100% literally.

You know, when you put it that way, as bad as Lot seems, God is just an awful, awful being.

Stories like this are why I ceased paying attention to the old testament. Also why at times I flirt with agnosticism, the old testament is just a horrible book full of terrible people and messages that are utterly incompatible with decent society.

What's the meaning of this? How can he offer his daughters as bribe? Was that acceptable to those who wrote the bible?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lot_(biblical_person)#Lot_and_his_daughters

Read the Gilgamesh ? (it holds many religious clues)
I would guess that the men wanted to initiate/convert the "angels/guest" into there own religon. Nothing like offering temptation in the form of pleasure to attract men into converting.

Why Lot would offer hes virgin daughters though, well that seems very strange to me. But women were valued as little more then chattel.

Maybe he was a Republican ?
Offering a undercover police officer money to give the said officer a blow job because he was scared. :D

EDIT: Anyway the moral of the story is Sodomy is bad, leave the city before God opens a can of whop ass on it.
Offering virgin daughters to protect angels is ok and what ever you do dont look back when god tells you not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom