McMonkey's Project Page

McMonkey

----Evertonian----
SLeague Staff
I wanted to start this thread to help me keep track of the various projects I have ongoing and as a record of the ones I have finished. Tracking down the various threads can be a bit of a headache. I'm a bit of a butterfly with projects, flitting from one to another, but eventually I hope to get the majority finished.

Multi player scenarios are much easier to complete as there is no AI to compensate for and play testing can be done with friends. A lot of my scenarios are intended initially as multi player games, but can be adapted to single player with some changes to the rules and events.

SPANISH CIVIL WAR ToTPP (Single player)

Info: This is my ToTPP modification of Pablostuka's original game. I have spoken to Pablostuka about the scenario and he gave me a list of changes he would have liked to have made if he had had access to Test of Time when he created it. I have added a few of my own ideas in as well and I think the end result does his original concept justice.

Download Links:

The Spanish Civil War ToTPP

Creation Tread:

At Civ Fanatics

Multiplayer games:

vs Techumseh at Civ Fanatics (play test)

vs Jerec at Civ Webring (play test)

A Soaring Spirit ToT (Multi player)

Info: There were two major problems with the maiden Soaring Spirit multiplayer games. The first was the unreliability of players which has led to a stop start game. To combat this I have decided to give the Etruscans, and possibly the Phoenicians, to the AI leaving the four Helenic factions: the Spartans, Athenians, Corinthians and Ionians. I hope this will lead to a quicker paced game with less personnel issues. The other problem I anticipate is with the Persian Wars. I designed the game for MGE as I believed at the time it would get the widest audience. Since then most players at Civ Webring have embraced Test of Time. The much improved events will allow me to create truly challenging Persian events and may also allow me to create a single player version one day, though long distance trade and colonization may still be an obsticle for the AI.

Download Links: N/A

Creation Tread: N/A

Progress: The files and graphics are converted.

To do: The major changes are to the events. I hope to have this scenario ready fairly quickly, but then I always say that ;)

Bonaparte IV ToT (Multi player / Single player)

Info: One aspect of Civ2 games I have always wanted to address is the recovery of a nation after a defeat. Historically mighty empires have suffered major defeats and still bounced back. In Civ2 games a major defeat will often result in the complete annihilation of a nation, or at the least a subservient position. With the use of ToT's powerful events I hope to be able to allow nations to recover from setbacks and keep the game in balance in a similar way to my favourite board game Risk.

Creation Tread:

Bonaparte IV creation thread at Civ Fanatics

Progress: Most aspects like units stats and the economy were sorted out in Bonaparte III so the workload is not horrendous.

To do: Units need placing and new events need to be written.

Aeterna Civitas III ToT (Single player)

Info: This ToT version of Aeterna Civitas is designed primarily with single player games in mind. It is intended to be played as Rome and is a good, old fashioned empire builder. I plan to use the events to make each new campaign a challenge. I also want to make rebellions and civil wars a major problem for the player to tackle.

Creation Tread:

Old Aeterna Civitas III creation thread at Apolyton

Progress: The game is probably 90% finished and it is now a case of testing and tweaking.

To do: I need to do more work on the events and implement some of the suggestions resulting from Agricola's play test.

The Balkan Wars ToT (Multi player)

Info: This is one of the earliest scenarios I started working on and I'm still nowhere near finishing it, despite it being in quite an advanced stage. The problem is that I have changed my mind so often that I'm not sure what to do with it now. I think it would probably work best as a multi player game and I will try and get a working version ready to play test. From there I should be able to work out the events that are required to convert it into a challenging single player version.

Creation Tread:

Old Balkan Wars creation thread at Apolyton

Progress: Probably 80% done.

To do: I need to decide exactly what I'm trying to create and get the events finished. It would be great to finally get this one off the books!

Fortress Europe ToT (Single player)

Info: This is the ToT version of WWII Europa. There are many, many changes to all aspects of the game. It is designed to be played as the western allies and all of the events are geared towards helping the AI Axis make it a tough old slog to Berlin. It is even possible for the Allied player to lose the game with the Africa Corps driving victoriously to the Suez Canal.

Download Links:

Fortress Europe ToT at the Scenario League

Creation Tread:

Fortress Europe creation thread at Civ Fanatics

Old Fortress Europe creation thread at Apolyton

Progress: I have released a beta version and I'm happy with the results.

To do: With a few tweaks I think I'm ready to call this completed.

Colonialism ToT Mod (Multi player)

Info: A multi player favourite with a few floors I believe would be easily fixed if converted to ToT and worked on. Shouldn't be a huge amount of work to get this mod done.

Multiplayer games:

Progress: Concept stage.

To do: Convert and tweak.

Imperialism ToT Mod (Multi player)

Info: I really love Exiles epic. We have played it many times at Civ Webring and Barthi has made several mods to try and balance the gameplay. I would now like to mod the mod and convert it to Test of Time. In multiplayer mode trade and the science rate need to be slowed down.

Multiplayer games: N/A

Progress: Ideas only so far

To do: I need to convert Barthi's mod and merge it with the existing ToT files then make my additions.

Rise of the Dictators II ToT (Multi player)

Info: I wanted to fix some of the issues from the MGE version and it makes sense to me to convert to ToT and add some extra units, events etc... I have quite a few ideas on how to improve the gameplay.

Progress: Just brainstorming so far.

To do: The lot.

Shogun ToT (Multi player)

Info: I have wanted to make a 21st century version of Sengoku Jidai for some time. A while ago I began work of a map of Japan and Korea that is near completion. Fairline made some excellent ToT units for SJ and the scenario would be an excellent subject for a multiplayer game.

Creation Tread:

Old Shogun ToT creation thread at Apolyton

Progress: Map near completion.

To do: Quite a bit!

The Crusades ToT (Multi player / Single player)

Info: Another chance to put my European map to use and create a home for Fairline and Tanelorn's excellent units. There are plenty of excellent medieval scenarios I can use for inspiration. Not at the top of my priority list right now, but one for the future.

Progress: Not started yet

To do: Everything but the map!

The Fall of Rome ToT (Multi player / Single player)

Info: I wanted to use the map and city placement from Aeterna Civitas III to make a quick and easy multi player scenario about the fall of Rome. I wanted to give some of Fairline's magnificent units from this era a home. I think this would work well as a multi player scenario with the Roman player trying to hold back a pack of wolves and play them off against one another.

Progress: Map ready

To do: Add cities, units and events!

History of the Hellenes ToT Series (Multi player / Single player)

Info: I have a vision to build a series of scenarios about the ancient Hellenes from the Trojan wars to the wars of the Diodochi. Most of the scenarios could use the map from A Soaring Spirit and a lot of the city placements and unit stats would be similar so the amount of work is reduced. Who knows if any of this series will ever be completed, but it doesn't hurt to dream ;)

Creation Tread:

Old History of the Hellenes series creation thread at Apolyton

Progress: I have built the maps and started some city placement.

To do: Very much in the early stages of development at the moment.

WWII Europa MGE (Single player)

Info: My first Civ2 scenario. I was pleased with the large European map I built, one I have got a lot of use out of since. Although the scenario itself was fairly average I felt it was a good first attempt and I learned a lot from the process.

Download links:

WWII Europa at Civ Fanatics

WWII Europa at the Scenario League

Aeterna Civitas MGE (Single player / Multi player)

Info: Inspired by scenarios like Imperium Romanum and Paul Mutica's ? as well as the Rome: Total War game, I decided to use the European map from WWII Europa to make a scenario about the rise of Rome. Again this was a bit of a learning process and it led to the far superior Aeterna Civitas II.

Download links:

No longer available for download

Aeterna Civitas II MGE (Single player / Multi player)

Info: By this time I was heavily involved in multiplayer games at Civ Webring. After a brief game of the original Aeterna Civitas I decided to make an updated version designed specifically for multiplayer mode. Generally I was satisfied with the outcome and we have had several fun games at Civ Webring. The playable factions are the Romans, Seleucids, Ptolemids, Macedonians, Carthaginians, Celts and Germanics. I think the Romans are too weak and the Germanics, with their Fortress of Sarmizegethusa (Sun Tzu) wonder, are too strong. I may well convert the ToT version, Aeterna Civitas III ToT, into a new multiplayer version to address these minor problems.

Download links:

Aeterna Civitas II at Civ Fanatics

Aeterna Civitas II at the Scenario League

A Soaring Spirit MGE (Multi player)

Info: Inspired by the story of the ancient Hellenes colonization of the Mediterranean and John Ellis' excellent scenario; Hellas, I decided to build a new map focusing on Greece and southern Italy. This was designed from the outset as a multi player scenario. I'm pretty happy with the outcome, but I can see where it falls short. I am currently working on a ToT version with some important changes, especially with the events.

Download links:

A Soaring Spitit at Civ Fanatics

A Soaring Spirit at the Scenario League

Bonaparte III MGE (Single player / Multi player)

Info: I have been a long time admirer of John Ellis' excellent scenarios. One scenario I particularly enjoyed as a multi player game was Bonaparte. One problem I found was the cramped seaways, especially around the entrance to the Baltic Sea. Once again I thought of my European map. Surely combining it with Mr Ellis' original would create a sure fire winner? The result looked good, but the game just didn't seem to play as well as I had hoped in multi player mode. I have now begun work on a ToT version, Bonaparte IV ToT, which I hope will address the shortcomings and deliver the epic I had hoped for.

Download links:

Bonaparte III at Civ Fanatics

Bonaparte III at the Scenario League

Rise of the Dictators MGE (Multi player)

Info: WWII is undoubtably the most popular subject for Civ2. I wanted to create a multiplayer scenario, using my European map, that would add a slightly different twist to the genre. I decided to start the scenario in 1936, just as the Spanish Civil War was beginning. I felt that this would allow the major powers to decide on their strategies whilst having some action to ratchet up the tension. I was happy with the outcome and the multi player games were a lot of fun. The complex house rules are the major aspect I need to work on. An updated ToT version is on the cards.

Download links:

Rise of the Dictators at Civ Fanatics

Rise of the Dictators at the Scenario League

Now that the Korean War's finishing is within sight, I should start my own bucket list. Good idea, there, McMonkey!

My problem has always been staying focused on a single project and sticking with it until it's finished. I'm far to easily distracted with other schemes. I'm quite proud that I managed to stay focused on SCW and I would like to take that determination into a few other nearly completed projects and get them completed. Seems a waste of hours of effort otherwise!

Your work is very impressive and the idea of getting all your projects into a single thread is a good one. I've had to deal with bringing my work work home or other creative projects that fill up my hard drive or when I buy a new computer trying xfer all my work from these various projects. Occasionally, (like the Birdilization II patch) I finish something and can't wait to share it. In the meantime I really have to hand it to you, this looks fantastic. Two thumbs way up!

:thumbsup:

Thanks CivParisan. I would prefer it if more of these scenarios were in the completed column than the development one, but I keep on plugging away and every now and then there is an end product. Hopefully the final version of Spanish Civil War will be done soon. There is nothing major to overcome, just some tweaks to the events and a thorough playtest. Then I can move onto either Aeterna Civitas III, Fortress Europe or Bonaparte III which are all fairly well advanced. I would love to do more on my scenario about Philip II of Macedonia, but it is nowhere near as advanced as those other three projects.

Say, McMonkey, if I may ask, what are the start and end dates of Aeterna Civitas III? I have somewhere in my own future bucket list two scenarios, one dealing with the unification of Italia by the early Roman Republic before serious involvement with Carthage or the Hellenistic Kingdoms (there was some back then, but mostly capturing and subjugating Greek Colonies in Southern Italy, fending off Pyrhhus's invasion, and the initial events with Carthage in Sicily that would later lead to the Punic Wars), and the other being the decline and fall of the West Roman Empire (or, ideally, preventing, or at least, prolonging it, as I'd planned the West Romans to be the PoV player) ranging in time period from the death of Constantine I to the tail end of the 5th Century or, maybe, the very early 6th Century. I'd like to try to avoid overlapping with AC3's time period too much (a reason, also, that when I get around to revising EotRS, I'll leave out entirely the Burma Theatre in honour of Techumseh's upcoming scenario). So, what time range did you have in mind for AC3?

If memory serves me correctly the scenario begins in 271 BC at the time of Phyrrus' invasion. The end date is more open ended. I remember including the invasion of Britain, the Dacian war and some of the early wars against the Sassanids. I may have to reign it in a bit. I know it ends well before the fall.

That would be a grail scenario wouldn't it - covering the entire history of Rome from rise to fall. New civs replacing old mid scenario, multi events and unit files...... C'mon designers you know you want to :)

The problem with a rise of Rome scenario is knowing where to draw the line. A better solution may be to create a series each starting roughly where the last would have ended but each one being a new challenge. I could use the same map, city placement, unit stats and so on. The problem with a 200 turn epic is predicting how a player will progress and tailoring events to keep it challenging all the way through. A series of 50 turn scenarios would be much easier to accomplish.

I do plan to tackle the Fall of Rome at some point in the foreseeable future. I already have an initial idea of the spread of the units, improvements, Wonders, and civ's I would have, as well as a tentative map. At this point, it's either Fall of Rome or the War of the Spanish Succession; I can't realistically do both at once. One can follow the other, but which would be more popular with you guys (I can get enthusiasm for both at this time)?

And, sorry to threadjack your project page, McMonkey. Threadjacking tends to be a bad habit on this sub-forum.

Well, to be honest, as I currently have more standing resources and ideas of how to work Fall of Rome. Fear not, however, Fairline, Techumseh, and all others who had an interest in WSS. It will be high priority on my list; it just was stalled due to certain graphics (like those Kolner and Mantuan units whose appearances seem impossible to find) and ideas for how to work things not immediately being forthcoming. Now, I'll release your thread from my jacking, McMonkey, and soon start a new Fall of Rome thread.

Top Bottom