Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION II > Civ2 - Technical Support

Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Prof. Garfield
Emperor

Civilization 2 on 64 bit Operating Systems -- Start Here

From time to time I've noticed questions about running Civilization 2 on Windows 7 (both in General Discussion, and this forum), although the problems seem to be with 64 bit operating systems. The purpose of this thread is to present different options for running the game in one location, so that the information is easy to find. To keep this thread short and easy to read, please do not seek technical support for implementing these options in this thread.

If you have a game of Civilization 2, the first thing to do is establish exactly what game you have.

The early versions of Civ 2 are 16 bit programs, which will not run directly on 64 bit Windows Operating Systems. "Classic" Civ 2 (also known as "Vanilla" or version 2.42) is a 16 bit game, and I think that Fantastic Worlds is also (but I'm not sure). Windows will not even install these games.

Th later versions of Civ 2, Multiplayer Gold Edition and Test of Time, are 32 bit programs. These will install on 64 bit Windows, but have a bug with text boxes.

If you have a 32 bit version of the program, Mastermind's Patch should fix your problem.

If you have a 16 bit version, you have the following options:

1. Upgrade to Multiplayer Gold Edition.

1a.This post (and some that follow it) in the Mastermind patch thread explains how to upgrade to MGE if you have a classic disk. This Thread is a more detailed tutorial.

1b. Buy MGE. You might find a disk online somewhere. Or, this site sells a downloadable version for 5 Pounds. You will get Civ 1 with it as a bonus. I purchased from this site, and didn't have any trouble beyond applying Mastermind's Patch.

2. Use virtualization software to run a different operating system. You can then play classic and avoid the hostile AI. These options are more difficult.

2a. Upgrade to Windows 7 Professional, then use Virtual PC to run XP mode. This will probably be expensive. I personally use this method, but only because my university offered the upgrade for free. When all is said and done, it is very convenient to use, but upgrading the computer may require tech support.

2b. Use other virtualization software. This Video describes a method to get classic civ 2 to work using free (open source) software. There is an updated video.

If you have other methods, or want to describe these methods in more detail, feel free to reply. However, please direct actual tech support questions to other threads so that this one remains easy to read.

Players wanted for Masters and Apprentices: A King Level Succession Game.

Last edited by Prof. Garfield; Sep 07, 2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Changed link in 1a option so that you can readily access the next posts in the thread.
Prof. Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Andujhar
Chieftain

Getting Civ II MGE to work on windows 7 w/ no CD

I just wanted to post the steps I followed to get Civ II MGE to work on a Windows 7 (64 bit) laptop with no CD (or CD drive)---I did need to have a Windows XP computer and CD drive available for this to work.

1) Copy the CD onto a thumb drive (using old computer)
2) Copy thumb drive onto target laptop
3) Install Civ II Multiplayer Gold Edition (full install on target laptop; it took a long time for the install to start, but it ran ok once it was there)
4) Download and run patch to upgrade MGE to version 1.3 (on target laptop)
5) Download and run patch to allow Civ II to work with 64 bit operating systems (on target laptop)
6) Download patch to allow Civ II to run without a CD present; then you will need to copy the civ2.exe file from the program file directory and the patch onto your thumb drive, take it back to your old computer, run the patch there, then copy the patched executable file back into your Civ II program directory on your target laptop (I couldn't get this patch file to run correctly in the Windows 7 environment)

Viola... it worked for me; follow these steps, and should work for you as well.

Best of luck!
Andujhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:47 AM   #3
chrisconcord29
Chieftain

No Videos

I have Civ 2 Multiplayer Gold Edition and I can play it on my Windows Vista 64-bit system thanks to Mastermind's patch, but I cannot get any of the videos to work. The opening and closing movies, the wonder movies, and the High Council, do not play. I simply get a black screen. If anyone can tell me how to fix this please post a reply.
chrisconcord29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Catfish
Brutal Biscuivore

Answered many times in this forum. Here's the most recent thread.

Last edited by Catfish; Nov 13, 2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: I'll learn to read one of these days.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Rickh123456
Chieftain

Easiest and quickest way to run vanilla Civ2 in Win7

Download Virtualbox. (It is produced by Oracle.) It is free. It works like a charm.

Create a virtual computer running XP. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to do this. I had the original XP install discs but ended up downloading an XP iso from a Torrent site as it was easier than trying to create one on my own or install from the discs. It took me a few trys to get it right, but I am the impatient type who did not read the directions that came with the program first. Once I figured out what I was doing, it took about 5 minutes to create the virtual computer and about 10 minutes to install the XP iso.

Once the virtual XP drive is created and the virtual computer is created, install Guest Additions to Virtual Box (it comes with the Virtualbox download but requires a separate step to activate it.

Then, using your Civ2 disc, install Civ 2 from inside the virtual computer. It is fully functional, including all videos, and runs super quick.

Once set up, the virtual computer is available anytime you start it, and does not require any updating or reinstalling. The files to create it reside on your fixed disc. Just remember to shut down the XP virtual machine using the start button, so that the RAM is released back to the Host computer.

I have an Asus G73 quad-core Win7 64-bit laptop. This is the "Host" computer. The "Guest" computer is an Win-XP with a the recommended virtual hard drive and virtual RAM, and runs with two of my four cores. All of these settings are customizable when you first create the virtual machine, and before you install the XP iso.

one last thing and the reason for editing... the Host computer is fully functional also, while the Guest XP computer is running, but the RAM and hard drive space that you allocated to it are not available to the Host while the virtual computer is running. So if you have 8 gigs of RAM and allocated 1 gig to the virtual computer, your Host will run with 7 gigs as long as the Guest is running, but the Host returns to 8 gigs as soon as you shut down and turn off the Guest computer via the start button inside the Guest computer.

Last edited by Rickh123456; Apr 19, 2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: add a note
Rickh123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 12:45 PM   #6
vktj
Warlord

classicgamingpresents.com appears illegal

The classicgamingpresents.com site linked to in the head of this thread appears to be illegally selling copies of older games, and should not be linked to from here. Here’s a couple of links with more information on this site:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/any...esents_website

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/cl...ngpresents.com

As far as I know, there currently is no legal way to obtain a digital download of Civilization I or II.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:42 PM   #7
MastermindX
Chieftain

I made a video about how to use my patcher, if anyone finds it useful.
MastermindX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Celebrine

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andujhar View Post
I just wanted to post the steps I followed to get Civ II MGE to work on a Windows 7 (64 bit) laptop with no CD (or CD drive)---I did need to have a Windows XP computer and CD drive available for this to work.

Viola... it worked for me; follow these steps, and should work for you as well.

Best of luck!

Thank you, Andujhar! I thought my Civ 2 days were over, but this worked perfectly!!

I did encounter one blip - when I changed the file name (while on the XP machine) to 'Civ 2 No CD' it gave me an error that I ignored. When I took the file back to my Windows 7 machine it was categorized as a file rather than an application and wanted me to choose a program to open it with.
I just added .exe to the file name and it fixed itself!
Celebrine is offline   Reply With Quote