Civilization 2 on 64 bit Operating Systems -- Start Here

Okay, so let's assume I have very little in the way of computer programming knowledge.

I have "Chronicles of Civilization". It appears to contain versions of Civilization 2: Multiplayer Gold Edition, and Civilization 2: Test of Time (and Civilization 1). They seem to install okay, without giving any warnings. I installed them on my D: drive rather than the suggested C: only nested one or two folders deep. I have kept the long names automatically given to the folders by the installation process

BUT, none of them actually work on my new (as of November last year) Windows 10 computer. That is to say: I can right-click on the CivII.exe file, select "Compatibility" and set it to "Windows XP Service Pack 2" (which used to run these versions just fine) and the game will actually boot up, take me through the process of choosing the options to start a game with, and then crash to desktop. If I don't have the "Compatibility" set, it simply turns the screen black and hangs up, so I have to boot up Task Manager and force-quit the program through that.

(I am not concerned with the "Chronicles" version of Civ 3 and Civ 4, since I got these on Steam, and they are automagically updated to work on modern systems.)

First thing I'm supposed to do is update the versions to the most modern - apparently patch 1.3 for MGE, or 1.1 for TOT. I was looking around for patches that worked, then discovered *this* instead, on this site: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/civilization-chronicles-patch.8534/ So I downloaded and ran it. It did not seem to crash while doing so, at least it reported having finished an installation of sorts, so I assume that I now have the actual most up-to-date version of both games: nevertheless, the games still do not start.

Trying to work through a series of instructions suggests "get the no-CD crack", but also "whoops, it doesn't work on 64-bit machines". I do not have a 32-bit machine to copy any civ.exe file to. I looked for links which had full patched .exes, but all the links I could find were non-functional. Where can I download a thing that will do away with any CD-requiring protection, or does the Chronicles In Civilization version already not require the CD in the drive?

After that, one step at a time, what is the next thing I need to do?

And the next thing after that?

I see too many lists in too many places, not all saying the same thing, sometimes disagreeing on which patch to install, and not all of them confirmed to always work.

What I would like:

- To be able to play both games, and have them actually function and be playable as games, without the CD in my drive, since I had to buy an external CD drive specially to even install them.
- To have the enemy civilizations actually be willing to deal with me diplomatically, rather than all be implacably hostile for no reason no matter what I give them. (Apparently this was an issue introduced in MGE that was not present in the original Civ2.) I don't mind the long-standing bug of Gandhi starting out pacifist and suddenly turning nuclear, but I do object to them *all* being hostile all the time.
- Ideally, I would like to be told whether the "Chronicles" version includes ALL the scenarios that were included in the original MGE edition.
- And if not, where to find the missing ones and how to install them.
- Also ideally, I would love to get the videos working somehow. The Chronicles CD said it was installing Indeo Video Drivers as part of the installation process (which was one of the later steps in the instructions): do these actually work with Win10, and were they what I needed, or do I need to look elsewhere and get something else?

I tried the above.

I did my best to follow the instructions.

It did not work. The program simply closes, disappears, stops working.

How do I make it work? Please explain in SIMPLE EASY STEPS.

[EDIT] For TOT - Enabling some options in TOTPP that weren't enabled by default, seems to have allowed things to at least work after a fashion, but I keep getting interruptions by some popup window called "Move Debug" that requires me to close a popup (and shows me the entire board, which should be covered by fog-of-war, with large white numbers on every single square, and then only sporadically adds a square or two of black at a time). How do I stop that happening?

[EDIT AGAIN] After the game launched for the first time, then I played a few turns, stopped and closed it... It won't start, again. HELP!

Also: All the above only works for TOT, not for MGE. Can somebody please walk or possibly crawl me through the steps for making MGE work? I don't care so much about the Multiplayer side of it but I simply want it to work on my computer.

Last edited:
I went back to my old discs of separate versions of Civ 2 Test of Time and Civ 2 Multiplayer Gold Edition, bought when they first came out.

Just setup Civ II MGE on vanilla Windows 11 64-bit.

I got videos, music working, here's what I did:
  1. Install from CD or make virtual Mixed Mode virtual drive (ie. MDF with Daemon Tools, BIN/CUE might also work).
  2. Make sure CD or virtual is CD-ROM 0 in Disk Management when mounted, if not Disable all of them in the Device Manager and reenable the Civ2 one first. (This is what makes music work).
  3. Enable Indeo 4.1 codecs (they come with Win11 already but are disabled) with CodecTweakTool_667.exe under ACM/VFW (x86)
  4. Install MGE Update 3 patch (official)
  5. Download Civ2UIALauncher and disable No-CD check for videos.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom