Don´t attack a Guardian ...

Lucky

Game- and Quizmaster
... at least not if you think you are ready for it. Wait a hundred more turns and build 10 times as many ships and you might win. :mischief:

Naw, really, I just found out that attacking a Guardian with 30+ ships at tech levels 25-30 is not a good idea.
I did not even scratch a tiny bit of his armor, just hit the shields a little. :eek:

I was at the point where even my 50 turns old ships beat the newest system defense of the AI races at a rate of 5-1, so I thought, let´s build the newest we have and try to take on a Guardian. :yeah:
They didn´t die immediatly, they battle even lasted more than 2 minutes, but as said above, the shields was the most I could hit. Even for several hundred points per hit, but that didn´t seem to bother it at all. :lol:

So, better wait until Titans and Superdreadnaughts, maybe I´ll scratch him a little with that.
:D

yeah, compared to the guardians in moo2 those in moo3 really kick ass :scan:
I beat 1 so far, I was around 30 in all techs and used about 40 battleships (nearly 30 only with the newest missiles) + around 30 outdated ships for cannon fodder. But the system it protected wasn't really that special :cry:

EEK.. An here I was planning to go in with most of my level 20 some odd fleet. I remember the guardians being tough :) So far I havent even seen one. Once I get the message that my scouts are going up against a guardian its "GENERAL RETREAT"..

Heh, once I managed to retreat my scout and shortly after it warped away, a huge Guardian emerged from the darkness. :yeah:

Compared to your own biggest ships, this really is a monster.

I was able to kill one (the Alkari, I think).

I sent 20 of my newest Superdreadnoughts with some cannon-fodder.
My first missle wave got his shields down, but then it got really tricky, because the stupid thing cloaks and you can't fire at him but he will hit you quite hard.
But finally I got him, 2 Ships survived!

The system is not that juicy but OK.

Now my reserve is spent and I can concentrate on the ongoing war against the Sakkra. ;)

In Moo2 there was a special weapon that made ships spin, it was named something like gravity bomb. The larger the ship targetted, the more damage it would take.
When you stuffed up a dozen of even medium class ships with this weapon, you could take out the guardian.

Still any of these weapons in Moo3 ?

I agree. The Guardians in MOO3 are a real pain in the buttock. :ack:

Originally posted by Bloog
In Moo2 there was a special weapon that made ships spin, it was named something like gravity bomb. The larger the ship targetted, the more damage it would take.
When you stuffed up a dozen of even medium class ships with this weapon, you could take out the guardian.

Still any of these weapons in Moo3 ?

Gyro Destabilizer. I haven't encountered it yet. But then again, in MOO3 you don't get each and every tech advance.

Well, in MOO2 you didn't get all techs unless you chose creativity (which was way to powerful).

I always built a couple of Titans whit 20 or so Hv Mount Gauss Cannons to take out the Guardian in MoO2 so I figured I could take on the MoO3 guardians whit the Guass Cannon as well, Let´s just say I was wrong. :p

Hehe, when I finally had a fleet I deemed worthy, it was far too powerful for the puny MoO3 guardians! :mischief: ;)

2 IF and 2 LR task forces with plenty of scouts as cannonfodder and to find it were more than enough. One salvo of missiles (which are far too powerful in the game, IMO) was more than he could handle. :yeah:

With that single fleet I took out all 5 guardians without needing reinforcements and even took them to Orion afterwards and managed to defeat the system ships there.
Btw, if you land troops on Orion, make sure you land lot´s of them. I think I needed at least 10 Battleloid Exp Armies, 6 Armor, 2 Mobile and 2 Marines to take them down. Be sure to get them in your initial attack, their reinforcements each turn are pretty tough. :lol:

Too bad that my victory against the 5th guardian gave me the 5th X, got the other 4 with Antaran expeditions. So I had just less than 30 turns before victory.
I decided to amass a fleet of Behemoths, LR, IF and Carrier ones. Didn´t expect my other fleet to be so successful.
And I certainly had respect for their 255 :eek: ships fleet, which they send to some AI. I decided to declare war only shortly before taking my ground troops to Orion. Good thing I didn´t see that fleet again. :mischief:

Anyway, so I won. The game is overall not bad, though lacking polish in many places. The most important thing though, the victory did not satisfy me as much as any MoO2 victory or even defeat. The video sequences in MoO2 still give me somewhat of a positive chill when obliterating Antares (or the supposed Antares ;)).
Kind of awkward.

Does one need to conquer Orion in Moo3 ? Say I just blast it with the stellar converter, if that weapon is still to be found somewhere in the tech tree ? Any idea of what will happen ?

Nothing, Orion is just a planet like everything else. Though you might find an X on it. And it definitely is the hardest system to take over. :mischief:

Also, unless you plan to invest a lot of time and you are careful not to win before, you have to wait LOOOONG for the stellar converter. :ack:
I was at tech levels 44 and 45 when winning, yet I didn´t see it anywhere. Might have missed that tech, but I don´t think so.

I found it.. Gyro destabilizer, at Physical 99 :scan:.
That actually may be a typo, as all other tech levels clip at 50 ?

Originally posted by Panda
I agree. The Guardians in MOO3 are a real pain in the buttock. :ack:

Gyro Destabilizer. I haven't encountered it yet. But then again, in MOO3 you don't get each and every tech advance.

Top Bottom