Inhuman NES

Seon

Not An Evil Liar
Before we begin anything, read this link

After you are done with that, read this.

Are you done?

I'll wait as long as possible. Read it. Read it now.

Did you do so?

Then let us start.

Inhuman NES

The stories that you read will be the Truth, a fact of life and embodies the running theme of this NES.

Is the treatment of SCP-231 cruel? Yes. Is it necessary? Yes. Is it unforgivable? Yes. Is it for the safety of mankind? Yes. As you go on with this NES, please remember to balance all these facts inside your head.

This is not a comic book universe. There are no good guys. There are no evil guys either.

There are only those struggling to live in this world. Some may believe that they are fighting for what they believe is right. Others fight these people, also fervently believing this to be true. Still others fight for only one thing that matters: their survival.

But most importantly, all the characters... behind their mask... behind their helmet... there must be a human being. That will, in fact, be the theme of the NES: a struggle to remain a human being despite everything that happened.

This is a story driven NES. The objective is to have fun. There is no limit to what kind of character you can be, as long as he or she is a human being. Separate rule applies for inhuman characters, but remember this: All inhumans are anomalies that make normal social interactions impossible.

In addition, anomalies are truly special beings. In fact, almost no human being on the earth are aware of their presence. I suppose that everyone else would react to seeing an anomaly as if what we would act like if we saw Harry Potter in real life.

The World

The backdrop of this NES will be set July of 2001, 2 months before the disaster known as September 11.

There are two factions that I have created beforehand for your convenience:

The Keepers: A secret organization with multiple front companies that have had strong influences over the world politics for the last couple of centuries. They are the oldest and the most influential faction. Their goal is the capture of the anomalies, censor the existence of anomalies from human knowledge (they can, and will, use amnesiacs to wipe out the memories of an entire nation's population to do so if necessary), and contain the anomalies for study.

The Protectors: A secret paramilitary organization with multiple front companies that have strong influences over the British and the American politics. Their influence over these two countries are stronger than those of the Keepers, much to the latter's chagrin. Their purported goal is the destruction of all anomalies that can pose threat to human life. The two factions are not at direct conflict with each other, but they will not hesitate to attack each other over a single anomaly.

Details on these factions are scant, I know.

You will make up the rest of the details.

You will, in fact, make up the rest of the factions in the game.

Character Creation

This is a charcter driven NES, so of course there will be characters. You have two choices when you do so: to be human or inhuman.

You will start out in USA, for that is the country that I am most familiar with.

Human Beings:
Spoiler :
Congratulations. You are the heroes of this story. You are that sargent that held the line alone when the rest of your squad had died against horde after horde of zombies. You are the researcher that saved the rest of your team's life when you bravely took up the hammer to smash in an anomaly's head, despite having no training and no expectations to do be able to do so. You are the researcher who, despite all the shadow governments efforts, were able to inform the world of dangers of the anomalies that live amongst us. There is no limit to what you can accomplish. There is no limit to what you can be. You are free, and this world will be your playground.

Inhuman Beings:
Spoiler :
You are the tragic heroes. You are not a human being. You should not think like a human being. Normal life for you is impossible. There is no such thing as faking humanity for such a being. You, simply by existing, will be a threat to all those around you, whether you want it or not. Your powers will already have manifested by the time you start the story. Either the Keepers or the Protectors would already have taken notice. Your life will be one of constant fear and solitude. Remember that anomalies are truly special things in this universe. You will most likely never see one like you over the course of this NES. You are unique. You are special.

But you are also alone.

This NES will also be about self-reflection for you. Are you truly an inhuman being, or is there still a person somewhere beneath all such power? What does it mean to be human at all? Such questions may be foolish to ask, however. Sometimes, it is best to simply enjoy what you have.

Conflict of Interest

Eventually you will come to the stage where your vision of this world conflicts with someone else's. I encourage you to work together, but I know it will happen anyways.

In that case I'll flip a coin and decide what happens.

Unaffiliated Inhumans:

Annie Cato: A woman with an unfortunate tendency to kill everyone around her: Laraqua

Ash: A woman who kills anyone who she sees: NPC

Mortem: Some monster who kills everyone around him: Mickzter

Phantom: Some guy with a mask and a sweet voice: Tyrant

Eleanor: Just a sweet girl with telepathic powers: NPC

Nobody in Particular

Jack: A totally ordinary bartender living in New York: New York: NPC

???: A reality bender ex-roommate of Jack who wouldn't leave his apartment: NPC

Iam: Immortal who just is: NPC

Keepers

Earl: A blind keeper with a mysterious and painful past: Lord Iggy

Director Paul: A director of the Keepers who like nothing more than a wine and good woman as a company in his life.

Roger Stockwell: A member of the Task Force Delta 2 who can resist mental suggestions. : Merciary

Protectors

Director Thomas: An ex-general with vast experiences in identifying and dealing with parathreats.

Director Lin: An ex-CIA official with a quick and decisive mind.

Roy Brocco: An insane Protector currently in charge of a squad deemed "Expendable" by the Protectors.: Zazaq

Tom Morris: An ordinary man perhaps at the verge of questioning his superiors. Haseri

Perfectly Normal

Garret Hughes: A cop who doesn't know what he's about to mess with. : Nuke

Only slightly abnormal

Erlang Shen: A man trying to go against the Keepers and the Protectors with the help of his friends after a mysterious encounter with a strange entity. Will he succeed?

No, no he won't. : KaiserElectric

Alan: A man who wants more power: Grandkhaan

Jyoungmin: A Korean who just happened to have found a magical pocket watch back in 1942.

Reserved you sucker.

Reserved

And you may post.

This NES IS BASED ON THE SCP UNIVERSE.

First couple of weeks, I suppose we will simply build on this half-formed universe. I'll keep adding in more ideas. You will create a world also on your own.

But remember that most anomalies are very bad news.

This is really amazing, so in

I'm in.
All I know as of now is my character will be inhuman. I know you are being intentionally vague to leave more freedom to us, but what advantages do inhumans have over humans? You already covered the disadvatage - social isolation, being hunted, etc. What I want to know is how much scope to I have to explain my "powers" or whatever you want to call it

I'm in as a human.
One question; if we're a human, do we have to be an SCP-foundation member? Because I had a cool idea of playing as basically your stereotypical kung-fu movie villain searching the world for the secret to power, you know, fighting the SCP for their artefacts. Is that OK?

Anything from just looking different to a potentially world-destroying power.

I don't really like stereotypical Villains in the game, but that depends on why he craves such power. An understandable reason is all I need. A human can be any human character you want to be.

I've already hit my creative limit, so I'm structuring my human after the Opera Ghost in Phantom of the Opera, and adding my own little twist

Inhuman - known by humans as Phantom

Last known location: New Orleans, Louisiana.

Summary- Can captivate an individual into undying loyalty with his voice, but must conceal the disfigurment of the left half of his face, which strikes fear into anyone who witnesses such a deformity. In addition, the Phantom does not age due to the presence of the anomaly. Prefers dark and cold underground shelters. If these conditions are satisified, his voice is far more effective at seducing individuals, and can manipulate time internally so his movements and reflexes are faster. Most vulnerable when exposed to heat and light. Damage to the nervous system prevents any sleep, and Phantom has adapted to regenerate stamina through being concealed in the dark. The anomaly has replaced much of the Phantom's flesh with an tough exterior, making him much less prone to flesh wounds.

Background: Formally a student known as Keith Marrow. Phantom was first exposed to the anomaly when confronted by a mysterous cloaked man, who offered a treatment to the Keith's weak and unstable nervous system to cure his anxiety. While the liquid given to Keith transformed him into a confident young man, it's benefits were shadowed by a potent side effect. The liquid given contained an unknown, unnatural ingredient that froze Keith's nervous system, preventing any ageing. In addition, the normal human process of metabalism was eliminated, and replaced with an inhuman, alien repair cycle. This foreign virus targeted any cells and bodily functions it deemed "simulating a pattern of nervous, anxious motions." Before long, the flesh of Keith's face started to become sunken. Everything left of the nose was absorbed in by this intruder lifeform. What was left of the infected area then solidified into a dark red substance, tougher than human flesh but not as agile. Oddly, the alien force seemed satisfied and the transformation stopped.

In a world where anomalies capable of ending it in an eye blink walk around, that is nothing.

Alright I'll give my guy a buff. I guess I was too focused on the social isolation part and not on describing exactly what the anomaly does. What is your opinion on anomalies altering the exterior environment? I'm thinking the infection of the nervous system has given Phantom the ability to control time to a limited extent (can slow time in a 1400 foot radius so every 25 seconds that passes in the Phantom's perspective is only 1 second to everyone else, and once the 25 seconds is up everyone in the 1400 foot radius advances in time 25 seconds. So what do you think, can I copyright that for my inhuman?

Meh, you don't really need a buff. But that doesn't really sound biologically feasible. Time manipulation... Should be balanced by an even greater cost.

In the end, your powers aren't important to me. What's important is the consequence for having such power.

Cool. I think it'd be interesting to have another perspective on the anomoly debate - study them and censor them, destroy them, or the third option: use them as tools. Enter Alan Stevenson.

Is this character OK?

Alan Stevenson
Biography
Alan Stevenson was born in the Gold Coast, Australia in 1977, a normal and regular boy to a normal and regular family. However, it was on their vacation to Tibet in 1985 that things went wrong. His family, while on vacation in Tibet, were murdered by inhuman Shang Liong Tianquo cultists trying to summon the Great Dragon of the Endtimes. The attempt was foiled by the monks of the Drepang Tuong monastery, but they were unable to save Alan's family, for which Alan was resentful. Regardless, he allowed himself to be adopted by the Drepang Tuong and be taught their unique Drepang Lu Kung-fu style in order to eventually be powerful enough to destroy the Shang Liong Tianquo. The desire for revenge fuelled him to become the strongest student in the monastery, but still he desired more power.

However, on his 18th birthday, his master refused to teach him any further, saying that he would be unable to learn anything more until he had calmed the anger in his heart and attained serenity. The way to martial arts ability, he said, was through serenity and understanding, not rage and the lust for power. Furious at the refusal, Alan challenged his master to a duel and killed him in his rage. He then followed by slaughtering everyone in the monastery, making him the last practitioner of the Drepang Lu in the world. Still his rage was strong, and, feeling himself the most powerful man alive, he journeyed to the Temple of the Shang Liong Tianquo temple in rural China to destroy them. He barely escaped from the battle alive, being thoroughly defeated by the cultists and being forced to flee.

Furious at his failure, Alan vowed to return to destroy the cult eventually and to gain more power until he could. He had killed his only means of improvement in the Drepang Lu style, and thus was forced to travel to various war zones around the world for, as he put it, "practice", though Keeper examination of his whereabouts seem to indicate that he was wandering aimlessly. Regardless, he ended up in Kosovo in 1998, where he massacred several villages and at least two Serbian army squads.

Alan, by complete coincidence, found himself confronted with a unit of Anomaly Research Organisation [a small, human staffed organisation dedicated to trying to understand the anomalies. They are small, weak, and completely outgunned by nearly everyone, being staffed by regular humans and with nobody really understanding what they are dealing with. They have no knowledge even of the existence of the Keepers or the Protectors - thats how out of their league they are] agents ordered to retrieve a particular artefact. He engaged in combat with them, as he seems to do with anyone, and managed to kill most of the unit. However, an ARO Agent managed to gain a hold of the artefact that they were carrying and used it to defeat Alan, forcing him to flee. All knowledge that the ARO has on Alan was gained from this agent. Alan was intrigued by the power of the artefact, and then began seeking out other such artefacts in order to increase his power. It was in these attempts that he encountered other anomalies, as well as several encounters with inhumans. The Keepers and Protectors know of Alan's existence, but, knowing of the Drepang Tuong monastery, their traditional non-interference, their status as mere humans, and the relative weakness of their martial arts, they have left him to his own devices. One mere martial artist unable to defeat an ARO agent with an artefact is no threat to them.

Rather than seeking to catalogue the anomalies as the ARO and Keepers do, or to destroy them as the Protectors intend, Alan intends to use the power of the anomalies as tools to destroy the Shang Liong Tianquo. His rage at the cult, his teachers, and the universe as a whole for taking his life away has caused him to cease to see other organisms as anything other than sacks of meat, and he will kill anything and everything he finds on the way, for, "practice."

Abilities
It should first be noted that Alan Stevenson is no inhuman. He is physiologically a human in every single way. His abilities are merely due to the training he has received in the Drepang Lo Kung-fu style, and any human could conceivably receive such training for ten years and reach his level of skill and power - Alan's ability to kill the entirety of his monastery and his master are only due to his own, personal talent and sheer rage.

That said, Alan exhibits some abilities that appear inhuman at first. He is far, far faster and stronger than normal, though nowhere near superhuman, though it appears that this is only because he has learned to use the full physical potential of his muscles. He appears to be able to punch through a human body in a single blow. He has been noted to have the ability to entirely dodge bullets, due to his greater speed. He is highly resistant to pain, and, when he was hit with a bullet in the shoulder during his battle with the ARO, was able to shrug it off and keep fighting. However, when ARO Agent [BLANK] used the [BLANK] to gain martial arts power of his own, he was easily defeated by Agent [BLANK]'s increased speed and strength.

Alan Stevenson has recently appeared in Florida. He appears to be searching for the ARO, which he believes, as does the ARO itself, to be have possession of the majority of anomalies - something which could not be more wrong - in order to find and gain more of their artefacts and achieve ultimate power necessary for destroying the cult.

There is no way that one human will wipe out an entire Keeper task force. These are people who deal with Reality benders who can kill you with a thought and still win nearly half of the time. They will not be people any human nor inhuman character will ever want to mess with. At least, not with only martial arts.

You can, however, make your own faction and have your own minions.

There is no SCP foundation in this universe. There are two factions based on it that universe, but it is separate.

Ah, OK. I might have misunderstood what you meant by 'based on.'

Correcting. Thanks for that. :)

EDIT: Fixed. Hopefully this is better;
Removed instances of SCP. Alain Stevenson clashed with the a small organisation of petty humans who are completely and totally out of their depth and only exist from a narrative purpose to be cannon fodder. An entire organisation of Redshirts, if you will. :p

Top Bottom