Welcome to Civilization Fanatics' Center.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to our site features. By joining our free community, you will be able to participate in the discussions, search the forum, send private messages, vote in polls, upload your own screenshots to the gallery, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so sign up today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.
|Jul 26, 2012, 04:07 PM||#1|
I am art.
NOTW XLVI: Dakalam [Sign-Up Thread]
NOTW XLVI: Dakalam
Hosted by Zack
I am a cursed man.
"But look at all you have been blessed with," you counter.
"A kind heart.
"A sharp mind.
"A deadly skillset."
Yes, each may appear to be blessings in and of themselves, but when combined together, in one person...
It is a curse.
On the planet of Motar, technology was stagnant. Kyltore was currently the world's only superpower, and had been for as long as anyone could remember -- indeed, no one remembers a time when it was not so. There was no need for technological progression -- Kyltore was secure in its power, and other nations knew any efforts to take on Kyltore would be in vain. The presence of magic on Motar also hindered technological advancement, as it seemed unnecessary due to the powers of magic.
Swords and steel, bows and arrows, shields and armor -- these were the primary tools used in combat. Horses were the main method of transportation. For all anyone knew, there was no ocean, only the continent of Motar.
Kyltore was a powerful nation, complete with its own religion. Tangtzenism had been around before Kyltore, but no one knew anything of its prior practitioners except for the legend of Ceroz Molten, the great prophet from times long past. Not much was known of Molten. Despite the rumors, he was obviously a human, for there was no other intelligent humanoid species on Motar besides, well, humans. More to the point, Tangtzenism has four basic tenets:
1. It is the one true faith.
2. The people of Kyltore are the chosen people of the one true god, Tangtz, and are thus designated to rule over the rest of Motar, but not to conquer other nations in order to avoid mingling with other nationalities.
3. Once a year, all other nations on Motar must send a champion to Kyltore. All of the champions then fight, gladiator-style, to the death in an arena. The surviving champion is then sacrificed on an altar to Tangtz, and his/her nation is exempted from paying tribute for the following year.
4. Kyltore must prepare for the time when Tangtz orders the people of Kyltore to purge Motar of all peoples not belonging to Kyltore. No one knows when this time will come, but Kyltore has been preparing itself for thousands of years for when the day does come.
The day has come...
...But not the one everyone was expecting.
High Priest Kurizhen has declared that due to the declining faith of the Kyltorians, twenty-five persons currently living in Kyltore will be selected for the duel this year.
Hold on, there's a further twist.
Instead of a bloody, violent, quick free-for-all as usual, this time all the combatants must collectively decide on who to kill each day. Further, Kurizhen has implanted minions who will work slowly and methodically at night to kill everyone else. These minions must be rooted out in order for victory to be achieved. And even if that is achieved, it might not be the end...
Last edited by Zack; Aug 08, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
|Jul 26, 2012, 04:07 PM||#2|
I am art.
You must read these rules before playing, please.
This game will not follow the traditional FFH storyline, which I know hardly anything about. Instead, it will take place in a fantasy universe I created, in the nation of Kyltore.
1. Once the game begins, you will be sent a Role PM. This will tell you what role and team you are on, as well as outlining your victory conditions, your abilities, etc.
2. You are not allowed to quote any part of your Role PM or Faction PM, in public or in private! You are allowed to say what role you are and what powers/abilities/whatever you have, but quoting your entire Role PM or even partially quoting your Role PM is not allowed -- especially in private, that will result in your Role PM being posted by me in the thread (or whatever part you shared privately), a WOG, or some other punishment, depending on the circumstances. Unsure of how much you can copy directly? Ask me before you post.
3. No quoting any private conversations of any kind, no matter who you have them with. Paraphrase, it really is not that much effort to do so.
4. You may communicate privately with other living players. QuickTopics, however, are strictly forbidden, unless I create them.
5. Everyone with any active night abilities must send me night orders. This is accomplished by sending me a PM during the night phase detailing what you want to do and who you want to do it to. Failure to do so will result in your character performing no action. Send me night orders, even if those night orders are to do nothing. I need them to ensure that you are still active. (Unless, of course, you have no night actions. Then don't PM me night actions, that would just be annoying.)
6. Dead men tell no tales. If you are dead in the game, DO NOT TALK. One "bah!"-type comment is allowed, but no more.
7. No Lynch is not a valid lynch option. However, abstaining is allowed. Should you vote for No Lynch, I will count it as an abstain.
8. During the Day Phase, you may vote in the lynch, item voting, and support votes. In order to vote for someone for the lynch, a simple bolding will suffice. Support votes in green, and item votes in whatever color is dictated. Votes must be bolded, or else I will count it as an abstain. As for retractions, you may do whatever you want, whether it be
9. No editing the content of your posts, and no editing your post at all if it has a vote. Make a new post if you must. You may make grammar or spelling edits, but be sure to list the reason in the edit box. A vote in an edited post will be considered an invalid post.
10. WOGs will occur if I deem them fit, whether it is due to inactivity or rule breaks. Please, please don't make me WOG you. If possible, I will replace you.
11. Day lasts 48 hours. Night will be 24 hours. I will "lock" the thread once a deadline has been passed and the update is coming, and "unlock" it once the update is posted. During these "locked" periods, no communication of any kind is allowed, whether it be in the thread or in private. Result PMs will start going out immediately following the Night update.
12. Lynch votes that end in a tie will result in a duel to the death between the tied player(s). Note that there may or may not be abilities and items affecting lynch voting, so don't be surprised if the tally and the results don't seem to match.
13. The player list will be kept updated on the first page. Each update will be linked to on the first page. Alignment will be revealed upon death, as will role.
14. If you are going to be absent during the game, you may tell me which night actions to perform while you are away, until you get back. If you intend to miss many days of voting, send me a message explaining why and when you think you'll be back. This way, I won't WOG/replace you.
15. If you have any questions about the game, ask them in this thread (the sign-up thread). If there are enough questions or I feel like the same question keeps being asked, I may start a FAQ section right here below the Rules.
16. BE ACTIVE! Don't be afraid to have lengthy and in-depth discussions in the thread (you are certainly encouraged to do so!), but PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SPAM (spam = anything not relating to the game).
17. Read the more specific rules below.
18. Read the rules again.
Sample Role PM:
Nominations and Lynches:
This will be different than your typical mafia or NOTW method of lynching. Instead of everyone voting for whomever they want for the lynch, players must spend the Morning phase nominating players for the lynch. Only a bolded name is necessary to nominate a player. If a player has already been nominated, then don't bother to nominate that player again. Nominations cannot be retracted.
After the Morning has ended, I will post an update with all nominated players listed. After this update, the Afternoon will begin. Now you may vote to lynch as you normally would, but with one exception -- you may only vote for someone who has been nominated for the lynch. Vote retractions are allowed during the Afternoon.
Item voting works the same way.
Support votes may only be placed during the Afternoon, and are used in place of a lynch vote unless otherwise noted.
Health, Abilities, Items:
Every player in the game has a certain amount of health. Lynches, attacks, and other such events can lower your health; healing abilities, items, and other such stuff can increase your health.
Every player's vote is worth a certain amount of health points; however, everyone's vote counts as one (excluding items/abilities).
There are also items and abilities present in the game, with various effects.
Many items and abilities require a certain amount/percentage of health points to function. A player's lynch power will be decreased if their health is not at full capacity.
* Please note that Good/Neutral alignment doesn't necessarily denote innocence, just as an Evil/Neutral alignment doesn't necessarily denote guilt.
Your Victory will be broken up into separate parts, each with a percentage attached in the following ranges, which will add up to 100%.
Obviously, the higher your final percentage is at the end of the game, the better.
"Survive" is defined as living until the last phase of the game, even if you are killed during that last phase.
Fulfillment of these objectives will not be confirmed until after the game has ended.
This is a game which can involve lying, bluffing, and backstabbing, possibly. It's not personal, it's just business.
That said, please follow the game rules, and obey all forum rules.
Should something frustrating happen, please do not verbally attack a fellow player or the game host or anyone else. You are allowed to criticize ideas and suggestions, but do not call people dumb.
Example: "I think that's a bad idea. We shouldn't do that at all. In fact, I think you suggested it because you're guilty."
This is okay! Notice how we're saying the idea is bad, advising against it, and even suggesting the player could be trying to destroy our team. However, we are not attacking that player.
Example: "What are you, stupid? Only someone stupid would say that!"
This is not okay. This is attacking a player. It's a friendly game, don't do this.
If there's anything you feel I've missed or failed to cover sufficiently in the above rules, please notify me in this thread. I will begin an FAQ section if there are enough questions.
Last edited by Zack; Aug 10, 2012 at 09:12 PM.
|Jul 26, 2012, 04:09 PM||#4|
I am art.
Last edited by Zack; Aug 09, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
|Jul 26, 2012, 04:16 PM||#5|
I am art.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can I send my character tomorrow?
A: Sure, send it in whatever, just get it in before sign-ups close.
Q: It's been a while since I was in a game with support votes, what do they do?
A: They take away a vote from the targeted player. Read this for a more in-depth explanation.
Last edited by Zack; Jul 26, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
|Jul 26, 2012, 04:20 PM||#6|
Join Date: Oct 2011
Sending char soon.
"I am a Catalan" -Pau Casals. Visca Catalunya lliure!
RobertCan't has the cutest avatar on CFC.
Also, I'm a brony. And, since some people don't seem to get that, I AM A MAN.
|Jul 26, 2012, 04:23 PM||#7|
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New Jersey, USA
2013 Economic Left/Right: 8.25 -- Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.902012 Economic Left/Right: 6.75 -- Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.67 | 2011 Economic Left/Right: 6.62 -- Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.79
The 2012 CFC Mafia/NOTW Awards: Winner of Best Large Game, Best Setting/Storyline, & Most Enjoyable Game; Nominated for Best Host.
|Jul 26, 2012, 04:25 PM||#8|
Manifest Destiny 2.0
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA, Earth
In:verb: The act of joining what looks to be a very interesting NOTW.
Can I send my character tomorrow? I'm posting mobile right now.
Spaceballs: The Signature
|Jul 26, 2012, 04:33 PM||#9|
I am art.
Also keep in mind when creating your character that your character name will be publicly known, in typical NOTW fashion.
"Please change your signature to something boring." - (anonymous)
|Jul 26, 2012, 04:51 PM||#10|
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Arizona, USA (it's a dry heat)
In. Need to think on a character.
It's been a while since I was in a game with support votes, what do they do?
|Jul 26, 2012, 05:01 PM||#11|
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: up yours!
I have to read the rules before playing, not before signing up. Put me down as a reserve, I'll see how I'm holding up with teh hosting and uni.
[18:47:11] <@Lucy> i don't mean to imply that what's going on in tak's underpants isn't equally or more creepy
[18:47:47] <@Lucy> constant mooing from this game
Stormrage and Spacer One will always be missed.
'Well, there's spam, and then there's spam spam. You are an example of spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam spam spam and spam.' -choxorn, 12/03/2010
Sign-ups for Trimafia are open. The first mafia game to have three hosts! Three!
|Jul 26, 2012, 05:04 PM||#12|
Advice Dog Zombie
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle, WA, USA, Earth
Come Play EAT POOP YOU CAT!
My Stories: The terrain-unwise Romans (Won), The Conquests (In Progress, 6/9 Complete- 4 Wins, 2 Losses) SG History: Won: (My first SG)For newbies n's Religiously Wonderful SG Hawk01-5CC Regent Training Game Hawk02-Japan The 5 Sacred Cities Hawk03-5CC Persian Astronauts Lost: qoou's 3CC AW Monarch
"FONT SIZE MAKES THE ARGUMENT MORE CORRECT" -DNK, in size 5 font
"The buttocks of the Pharaoh were feared from Carthage to India!" - Traitorfish
|Jul 26, 2012, 09:17 PM||#18|
Join Date: Nov 2008
This looks like a lot of fun. Sending character soon.
"I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy."
|Jul 26, 2012, 10:00 PM||#19|
On An Island
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern VA
Oh, this looks beautiful Zack. I am in. Character will come tomorrow.
The Renewal--A Tale Of A Tribe
I am no longer the DrumStudent...I am the DrumTeacher!
|Jul 26, 2012, 10:02 PM||#20|
proud 2 boxer
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: georgia tech