TSG43 Game in Progress

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG43 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through about the first 60 to 80 turns.

- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow?
- Who did you decide to attack first?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?

Settled capital northeast in between the 2 wheat. Cleared Tradition, opened commerce. Settled another city northwest next to the truffles. Ignored faith and religion altogether.

Turn 138, Ethiopia and England conquered. Alex and I are tag-teaming Maya. Will enter Renaissance and open up Rationalism in 10 turns.

Everything is good except I lost Alhambra by 1 turn...argh!

My normal level is emperor and I never normally play for domination so my initial plans were just to survive but I'm finding the Huns good offensively and battering rams are great so things are going better than I feared.

Settled South West at the fork in the river.
Teched to wheelthen Bronze Working for UU.
Took Honor Social Policy.
Conquered Addis Ababa on turn 54.
Conquered London on turn 74.
Built Stonehenge as I was low on religion.
Founded pantheon on turn 84 (Stone circles).
Turn 100 founded Hinduism (Initiation Rites & Buy Cathedrals).

Turn 81 I had to reload from an autosave because my game crashed... I hope this is not going to be a problem when I submit - thankfully, I had to replay one turn only.

Settled northeast to get a cool 4 wheat... that's a lot of food:D I also built the HG and cleared Tradition, so I guess I got the growth thing sorted. :cool: Turn 117 I have conquered England and Ethiopia. Next target will be the Maya because they're annoying me with their religion. I keep chasing one of their GPs away from my cities. Question: If I capture the GP, may I use him to spread my own religion, or not, in which case I should settle him instead?

Turn 81 I had to reload from an autosave because my game crashed... I hope this is not going to be a problem when I submit - thankfully, I had to replay one turn only.
Should send a Private Message to me if this happens instead of posting it. :)

Should not be a problem. Please set autosave interval to 1.

Turn 94, I have conquered everyone on my continent but only just entered MED and astro is far away.

I am not sure If I need to completely kill everyone, so the other continent will not count me as a warmonger when we meet. Eiz still have 2 smallery city. Others are completely killed.

First time as attila, moved the settler one tile south west, settled, got pottery from a goody hut..
haile was the first to found a religion, i was second (built SH).
turn 40ish got Dowed by elizabeth and pacal, made easy peace with pacal, conquered the english.
after that i dowed pacal, left him with one coastal city, got to alex, finished him off.
then to ethiopia, lost a lot of units there, but finished him also, removed his religion got a inquisitor
in his capital, ( i was the first to enhance - HG).
after that, it was about turn 100, got down to pacal's city, turn a long time to finish that,
got some muskets knights and cannon to take him down.. by the time i killed pacal i had
built two caravel in london and met the other civs, now i am in control of my island, planning
on doing the same over at my neighbours..
SP wise i went to tradition, paitronage opener, and rationalism, i got alhambra,oracle, the great
mousqe,tower of pisa, settled 3 cities, annexed london, rest are puppeted..

My plan was to "quick" settle 2 cities. I settled between the wheats and started to build 2 warriors, 2 horsearchers for defence and then 1 worker to get a settler out. Didn't quite work. Elisabeth went war with me and took out all my units. My city was bombed to 0hp but they didn't have any capture units. So basically I lost 50+ turns and had to start all over again.. Now I'm fighting with Antient era-units vs Pikemen and Longbow archers, having no buildings in my only city and no room for 2nd/3rd city. Forfeit seem'd like the only option so I gave up. I think I need help for immortal lvl, badly. :lol:

I had taken out London and Addis Abeba by turn 90. I'm now building up some economy and then I'll steamroll to Athens.

Almost lost early on when Pacal sent a lot of units at me while I was fighting England. For some reasons he pulled his units back at the last moment (i.e. when he was right next to my only city) without declaring war.

Turn 94, I have conquered everyone on my continent but only just entered MED and astro is far away.
I wonder how this is possible - I'm pretty sure it would've been impossible for me even if I had played it pefectly, simply because the AI has so many units, it takes ages to kill them. Maybe you need to get lucky and have the AIs not build many units? :confused:

Acutally, I think you will see better results.
The best players will do it under 80 turn for sure.

I was unlucky with huts, no culture, and no battering ram.

I settled SW1, to reach the horse I discovered with th warrior.

horse archers kill enemy units, battering rams capture cities. really for me it did not appeared immoral difficulty at all....

If you luck out 1 battering ram, you can take England in turn 20is...

Managed to pop a battering ram on turn 9. Took all capitals and razed all cities on continent by turn 99. Science and economy have suffered though. Guessing I will be seriously out-tech'ed by the time I cross ocean to other continents.

Current plan to is beeline to Astro to see how bad things are - someone is ahead of me on leader board, and there are a bunch of people to trade with.

Well, two firsts for me on this GOTM: I have never really played as Atilla, and have never really played Immortal level. After studying the AI advantages in the info center, I decided to try it.

I moved my warrior NE and saw several more wheat tiles, so decided to settle NE of the spawn location even though it was far away from the salt. I figured I'd start with a warrior instead of a scout, in hopes that one (or both) of my warriors would get a ram upgrade. 1 got upgraded into a ram, and I quickly learned there are pluses and minuses to that.

Rams are terrible scouts and can't defend against barbarians. Also, I found England, but holy cow, they already had 3 warriors. I didn't think my ram would survive so I did not try to ram cheese them.

I usually love getting religion, but I trashed that thought when I discovered there were 5 players on this small continent. Instead, I teched masonry, horse archers and rams, and started churning out horse archers. Built another ram too. Went tradition social policy because I have never had luck with honor (although that might have worked too).

I only built 2 cities in addition to my capitol (which is also rare for me). England tried to settle a city very close to me around T50. Took that as my cue and DoW'd her. That pleased Greece, who hated everyone but me (thankfully). Took England (double city raze is pretty nice), while Greece DoW'd Maya. Once I was through England, I denounced Maya and Dow'd him too (Alex LOVED that). Then wiped Maya.

Ethiopa denounced me, and I paid Greece 76 gold to DoW Ethopia (haha!). Then swung my whole army back across the continent and DoW'd Ethiopa. Wiped him about turn 110.

Now it's turn 122. I focused on religion late, but I've got one finally. I've also DoW'd Greece. He's a tough nut to crack, having pikes and cavalry. He's also got CS allies who are causing me trouble. Hopefully I can get through soon.

Spoiler :
2012-09-02_00001.jpg

I conquered everyone around turn 75 but i'm still far away form Astro too. I took a chance here and put all in into military. Went Liberty free worker and now fulling Honor. NC will be finished aroun turn 95. I will continue to build/buy HAs(already got a dozen fo them, some are close from logistics).

Too bad i discovered that it is a continent and now i have to wait for Astro. But a very huge fleet will travel around turn 115-120 at best divided into 2 armies. We will see if HAs will be enough with some battering rams to finish an immortal domination game with ancient units only.

Pretty much an experiment here than anything else. I usually don't pick this path if i'm not sure to be into a continent but Attila is an exception. I made a little mistake by settling in place but i didn't know about horses because i moved my warrior NE first.

Now at turn 80 and waiting...here is my situation at turn 55 :

Spoiler :

I went full honor, just out of curiosity and it worked quite well.

I have 2 double shoot HA and I could have 4 already if not choose march for 2 of them first.

I build a tirenme hoping that it is not really a continent, and wandered quite far with it, but could not find a way so far, so probably needs astro.

I was doing pretty well. I'd taken all of england's cities except for London.
Alexander was declaring war against me, but I founded a city up northwest of my capital on a hill behind a river, and with a bit of blocking from the red units he couldnt really do anything.

I was in second place behind an unknown civilization.

I finally generated a great prophet (couldnt found a pantheon) and got my religion, but shortly after my religious city got converted. I think that means I can't make any propets or inquisitors of my own religion, so I'm pretty much screwed now. Happiness problems will kill me without a religion.

In 10 turns I could have had my inquisitor out so those 10 turns made the difference between probably winning and getting totally screwed. Not sure I like the way religion works in this game.

Not the result I was expecting on immortal.

As always I play domination quite decadent... I built a great Capital with fantastic production to create a huge army, killed England and Greece and then...I built a lot of useless wonders and missed the chance to wipe out everybody on the continent with battering rams early as long as they are small and weak :crazyeye:
Now it is turn 220, I am very rich and bought a lot of modern stuff to kill the rest.
Not fast, but funny...and..decadent.
It is fun, but unfortunately I will never learn to do it fast... :lol:

One of my puppets generated a GM during this game. Look who I got.

Attachments

• Leif Erickson - GM.jpg
    Leif Erickson - GM.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 2,027
Decided to not play it because I'd probably give up anyway midway (hard diff large map domination is a pain, really) and not really having the time for it.

I did however test how the rams do on another map on immortal and what to say - I attacked as soon as possible, but all enemies immediately had walls up and a ranged unit as garrison, killing a ram or a a HA per turn. It seemed impossible to me to conquer even 1 civ with these units and no one should be able to do it/the continent in 100 turns when he 100% loses a unit every turn (not to mention with the walls up a ram didn't even do 1/6 dmg to the city).

Hopefully someone recording his play for youtube... there must be something I'm missing or for some reason your enemies never put up walls, dunno.

Top Bottom