News: TSG43 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 43
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the forty-third game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 Gods & Kings to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Domination. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Domination victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as Attila and lead The Hunnic Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at Immortal difficulty and at standard pace. Domination victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until October 1st to complete the game and submit.

Very happy to have our Mac players with us, hope you enjoy the game. :)

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time. In addition, once you receive your two free techs from Rationalism, and should you switch to Piety, you may not switch back to Rationalism to gain an addtional two free techs. :nono:

Civ V G&K - TSG43 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Attila - Hunnic
Number of AI Opponents: 10
Number of City-States: 10
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Immortal
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Promotion saving is enabled. Quick Combat is disabled (You may now turn it on using the game options menu.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Gods & Kings version 1.0.1.705. There is no dlc in this game.

In this game, you will be playing as Attila, you possess Scourge of God. You raze cities at double speed. You borrow city names from other in-game Civs. You start with Animal Husbandry technology and you receive +1 Production per Pasture.

You can train the Horse Archer, which replaces the Chariot Archer. Horse Archers are fast ranged units, deadly on open terrain. They are slightly stronger in defense that the Chariot Archer and can move through rough terrain without the Chariot Archer's movement penalty. They start with Accuracy 1 promotion. As a mounted units, they are vulnerable to Spearmen. Unlike the Chariot Archer, you may build Horse Archers without the Horse resource. You need to discover The Wheel technology and you do not need a resource to build it.

You can train the Battering Ram, which replaces the Spearman. Use Battering Rams to knock down the defenses of a city. They have the Cover 1 promotion to keep them safe from ranged units but they are vulnerable to attack of melee units. You need to discover the Bronze Working technology and you do not need a resource to build it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for a month and ends Monday, 1 October 2012.

The Save can be found here.

You can train the Horse Archer, which replaces the Chariot Archer. Horse Archers are fast ranged units, deadly on open terrain. They are slightly stronger in defense that the Chariot Archer and can move through rough terrain without the Chariot Archer's movement penalty. They start with Accuracy 1 promotion. As a mounted units, they are vulnerable to Spearmen. Unlike the Chariot Archer, you may build Horse Archers without the Horse resource. You need to discover The Wheel technology and you do not need a resource to build it.
Please read this. :)

edit - Read your reply in my email and then noticed you had edited your post. The point was that you start with Animal Husbandry as a part of your UA.

I should read the edited posts more carefully. :mischief:

I tried the Huns out once and they seemed very strong on the right map. (Only time I've found use of early mounted units...HAs are that good, basically early Keshiks) If iso/semi-iso, not so much. I'm thinking Tradition is probably not needed in the game, going more Honor/Liberty, maybe only building one other city.

edit: can't wait to get my exploring battering ram...ha

The Huns have been absolutely wicked the two times I have tried them. In open terrain you can bust all your neighbors in the mouth with those two unique units. This start is interesting. I'll probably send the warrior south across the river, but from what I see I'll probably settle in place, or possibly one tile southeast if the warrior sees something good. I have a sneaky feeling I will prove to be quite mortal this time.

Wow! can't wait to play this one!
Thanks for the game!

I think Honor would be a nice start if there is somebody close by, otherwise Liberty...

This is huge for Atilla, with 2 UU's that lose their promotions on upgrade.

you'd still upgrade horse archers to logistics though?
do you plan on upgrading to knights? thought you would have won by then :)

you'd still upgrade horse archers to logistics though?
do you plan on upgrading to knights? thought you would have won by then :)

Don't nail me on this, but I think 10 opponents is more than the standard amount on a standard sized map. So that might delay the victory quite a bit.

I wonder though which upgrades a battering ram gets... thought they'd be fine upgrading into pikes later. Guess I'll try that first in another game or wait for a reply here :D
(edit: alright, they upgrade into trebuchets instead).

Also: I like how starting with Animal Husbandry is an advantage, that an AI playing the Huns wouldn't have over the player (as they'd start with it as any civ already on higher difficulties).

@ FeiLing - Battering Ram upgrades to Trebuchet.

The lack of horses, cows or sheep means no bonus production. Hopefully some of these are in the fog. Also, if you want to build the stoneworks for the extra production and happiness, moving across the river to the grasslands tile next to the marble is the only spot to keep 1 wheat in the first ring and the salt in the 3rd. Alternately, moving south across the river to the desert would let you build the stoneworks and petra, but would put the marble, salt and both wheat tiles in the 3rd ring.

I'll move the warrior to the fogged plains tile west of the desert tile mentioned above to see if it'd be worth building there.

honestyl i somehow doubt fastest finsih will include building stuff like that.

Even when expecting a Continent like map (all previous concquest gotm i remember been kind of continent like - most GOTM maps in general are) fastest finsih will be like:

1. get some economy
2. kill everything close
3. rush to astro with everything available
4. kill rest same with old units
5. maybe last 2 civs or so might need medival units which should pup up like 10-15 turns after astro ie after killing 1 or 2 more civs

nice starting land - 2 wheat nomnom
guess its pretty random when wonders get done by ai on this lvl? at deity u can expect all anc wonders be done by ai before turn 50 - but in this?

As my IRL name is Attila, I have to do this even after I skipped all domination so far.
I am not good at conquest. Salt is a very good resorce, too bad we do not have 2 horses for production...

Being an Immortal game I wouldn't expect to be able to build Petra even if the designated vc wasn't domination.

After giving it more thought, perhaps settling between the 2 wheats would be better. It's still on the river so you can get a watermill for increased production and being grassland means you can still build the stoneworks. Yes you lose the salt in the capital, but that also means you can drop your 2nd city right on the salt. So now I'm thinking moving the warrior to the eastern wheat might be a good first move.

planting spot seems pretty obvious to me - where warri is atm ... 2 wheats close and salt still in 3rd ring
well if warri doesnt reveal something - horses are usually on plains so i d expect them either (or both) in west or south

edit: planting on marlbe for a possible wonder rush might be a viable idea aswell - espacially if warri reveals something in west - I just dont like loosing a turn ...

The problem with settling on a plains tile with marble/stone nearby is you can't build the stoneworks, which is a loss of 1 production and 1 happiness. Plus putting both wheat in the first ring means you can grow the capital faster so you can work more tiles and get a second city out faster, which will more than make up for losing a single turn.

The problem with settling in place is that there's only one tile that produces 2 food in your first ring, not to mention the lack of Stone Works. You could move to the grasslands NE of the Warrior, which would give you two wheat in your first ring, but you'd lose the salt, so unless there's something good in that direction, that's probably not your best move. The other options are the grasslands on either side of the river, NE-NE and NE-NW from the starting spot. NE-NW looks to be the best, based on what is visible. You have wheat and marble in the first ring, another grasslands for your second pop, the salt is still in range, and there's two riverside hills in the first ring for a little extra production on pop growth. I'm thinking I'll move my warrior NW-NW to see what it looks like, and then decide.

Looking forward to see how people deal with this competition, but it would probably be too hard for me. Even if not, it would take ages! Thinking about it I might try and see how far I can get before failing!

Nice - I've only tried playing the Huns once, so here goes later tonight... :)

With Immortal and 10 instead of the usual 8 AI civs to take down, I figure I can already tell how I'm going to approach this one. About settling... I'd like to settle next to one of the desert tiles, but I'll await what the warrior reveals...

PS: just to be sure - you're allowed to take breaks and save the game right? Just as long as you continue from your save and don't replay earlier turns? Don't really wanna do this in one long session, unless have to :mischief:

Top Bottom