News: TSG43 Announcement

PS: just to be sure - you're allowed to take breaks and save the game right? Just as long as you continue from your save and don't replay earlier turns? Don't really wanna do this in one long session, unless have to :mischief:

You can save and continue later. Just don't replay any turns.

Still a Civ5 newbie here. Need some tips/advice:
1. What's special about Astro and why is it important to beeline towards it?
2. I have never razed a city, but since this is Attila's special attribute I figured I owe it to him to try it. When should I raze vs create puppet?
3. Any tips on social policy orders? I usually stick with one branch until it's finished, but in forums past I've often heard cherry-picking the different policies (tradition opener followed by liberty opener?)

Still a Civ5 newbie here. Need some tips/advice:
1. What's special about Astro and why is it important to beeline towards it?
2. I have never razed a city, but since this is Attila's special attribute I figured I owe it to him to try it. When should I raze vs create puppet?
3. Any tips on social policy orders? I usually stick with one branch until it's finished, but in forums past I've often heard cherry-picking the different policies (tradition opener followed by liberty opener?)

1. If you end up on Continents Astro (or great admiral) may come useful @ crossing Oceans.
2. When you hit too much unhappiness.
3. Consider Order or Autocracy as late policy choices.

This should be an interesting one. Attila's UA is pretty weird - it's got four parts, only two of which are connected. Starting with AH and +1:c5production: per pasture are pretty nice. Faster city razing, plus two ancient UUs are a really unusually clear prod by the devs towards a particular strategy. However, early rush is difficult on immortal, especially with certain neighbours. It'll be interesting to see who we've got here. The UUs are pretty powerful though, so early rush might be ok. Looks like we might be in the middle of a continent/pangea, in which case we'll definitely need to do something to cover our flanks.

I know I do not play a huge amount of Civ, but it seems to me that the best opener is to move the warrior south and, unless there is a reason not to, settle on the north of the confluence. That way I have the protection from the river on 4 sides of the hex while keeping everything within the 3 ring except the wheat (and that is probably a flood plain SE anyway). With a domination game, it won't be long before I cheese off the AI so expect early DoW's. River protection should help and I would be willing to bet that the Greeks are not far away.

I will definately move my warrior south west towards the plains. Hopefully it will show some resources requiring pastures for the AU bonus. If not, between the wheat, on the grasslands so I can build a stone works to try and make up for the lack of production.

I'm thinking of settling 2sw so I can have two good river cities. :)

You settle your capital not next to the two riverside wheat but in the location with mostly unknown terrain that will be unable to build stoneworks. :crazyeye:
Please explain... I don't see the point behind that. The other way around (2nd city down there next to the salt) - cool. But this way?

Going north for the capital is also an option. But south is a possible Petra location and keeps the Salt. First move is sw,se so I may end up on the desert instead and have that Stone Works, too. ;)

There are other moves. The one thing not to do is settle in place. I guess.

so is this the first G&K game where we don't need to work on establishing a religion?

Religion can help with happiness problems, but can we just steal some other civ's religion instead of wasting time establishing our own?

looks like a fun game. never played as Attila yet. Battering Ram looks cool.

You settle your capital not next to the two riverside wheat but in the location with mostly unknown terrain that will be unable to build stoneworks. :crazyeye:
Please explain... I don't see the point behind that. The other way around (2nd city down there next to the salt) - cool. But this way?

On this difficulty level (and victory condition), you have to balance growth with happiness and production. I couldn't see myself working two wheats in my capital without some strong reason to (such as a large production start, i.e. loads of hills).
Since the Huns have the +1 production for pastures, ideally we get some of those in the city to work and wheat just isn't that strong of a tile. Since the hun bonus turns pastures into strong production and stable food spaces they will be worked at a high priority.

Salt is also strong tile, both initially when its unworked and it gets better when mined. Since in this start we can move and get it in the first ring and still settle first turn I'd lean strongly towards that.

Interesting, might be my first GOTM attempt after finishing my exam on the 6th. Looking forward to it.

looking at the initial map, I have to think that of the 5 turn 1 settlements, only the current location and the location 1 hex east is viable. Settling between the wheat could potentially be very good. Sending the warrior southwest is risky...it might not reveal a good spot. Sending the warrior northeast seems like a better move to see how good of a spot settling between the wheat will be, otherwise I'll probably settle in place.

I couldn't see myself working two wheats in my capital without some strong reason
you are doing it wrong ...
I d work 6 wheat tiles if they were available - there is nothing better as a food happy cap - its for very long (like 30 tuns or so) your only research facility and bigger = better - u know...

I agree, I don't see why you wouldn't want as much riverside wheat as possible in the capital.

game plan:

research wheel, get warrior upgraded, settle on the salt/marble (depends of 2f in first ring of salt), and rush rampage the continent with a battering ram and some horse archers.

Top Bottom