Bakuel's Indian units

Walter Hawkwood

RI Curator
This thread will hold the links to all of Bakuel's unit sets dealing with India.

For quite some time now, I've been in possession of a large cache of Bakuel's unreleased units for Indian subcontinent. Unfortunately, Bakuel himself has abruptly disappeared some months ago, and I can't reach him by either PM or e-mail. Therefore, I made a decision to release his units for the benefit of the modding community, especially since that was his own intention as well, as he did with his other major packs in the past. Unless he reappears, these are the last Bakuel's Civ4 units you'll see.

I take absolutely no credit for these units, as they are 100% Bakuel's work. It just so happened that he would usually send me the units he made before he'd release them on CFC, to hear my opinion on them. Some of them are already included in latest public Realism Invictus release, but many more of them were unavailable to the public in any way.

There will be a lot of packs that I've uploaded and, fortunately for me, Bakuel has supplied his own commentary to most of them in the letters he sent to me, so all the following information will be in his own words, with minimal edits from me (mostly removal of irrelevant parts of our discussions).

India can be divided into two halves, the Indo-Aryanian speaking north and Dravidian speaking south. I have always been a propionate of slicing Indian into two civilizations, Hindi and Dravidian as both were quite distinct throughout most of history and both are wonderful culture centers, and this will creep into my blabbering, so I must apologize ahead of time.

A brief description of India:
Spoiler :
I guess it would be best to begin as Caesar did in describing Gaul, by dividing it into three parts.

The Indian Sub-Continent can be divided into three main parts. I will start in the north and work downward. The fertile Northern Indo-Gangetic Plain (which I'll be calling Northern Plain for short), which, of course, includes the Indus and Ganges rivers is by far the most densely populated and has probably been since the ancient times. The two rivers are fed by water run off of the Himalayas and Tibetan Plateau. This is the region were civilization first developed in India during the Harapann era. The region's large population and lush farms has always made it a prime target for invaders from outside of India, cavalry based armies from Central Asia and the Middle East having no trouble of dominating the plains.

The second part of India is the Deccan Plateau, this is a large and mostly somewhat arid Plateau it is bordered by the Western and Eastern Ghat mountain ranges. The region is full of hill ranges (like the sierras of Spain) and the rivers are mostly fed by the monsoon rains, meaning they are fast flowing and dry up when out of the season. As one can imagine, this region is extremely hard to invade. Many empires have only managed to conquer the Northern Plains and have been unable to penetrate the Deccan. This has lead to the Deccan and the South following a bit different culture development when compared to the Northern plains. The biggest being the fact that the middle of the Deccan services as the geological border between the Indo-Aryanian speaking north and the Dravidian language speaking south.

The final region is Southern India, this region is the smallest of the three and is the tiny lowland areas around the southern "tip" of the Deccan Plateau. However, (moving away from geography for minute) sometimes I include the southern parts of the Deccan Plateau were the majority speak Dravidian languages. While this region is by far the smallest in my three divisions, it is a very important area in world history. This region is the home land of the Dravidian people and for much of ancient and medieval history was one of the busiest sea ports in the world. It is from this region that much of South East India culture such as Khmer and Cham where introduced to South Indian culture. Even today, Tamil Nadu is one of the wealthiest states in India.

Descriptions of sets are not included in this post (post length restriction), but detailed descriptions of both historical periods and units themselves can be found in the download links whenever available from Bakuel.

0) Prehistoric (warriors and a scout).

Picture:
Spoiler :

1) Mauryan Era (ancient, Hindi).

Picture:
Spoiler :

2) Sangam era (ancient, Dravidian).

Picture:
Spoiler :

3) Indo-Saka (ancient, nomadic invaders).

Picture:
Spoiler :

4) Kushan (classical, nomadic invaders).

Picture:
Spoiler :

5) Gupta (late classical, Hindi).

Picture:
Spoiler :

6) Vakataka (late classical, Deccan).

Picture:
Spoiler :

7) Chola, Hoysala and Vijayanagara (late classical/medieval, Dravida).

Picture:
Spoiler :

8) Pre-Mughal Islamic (late classical/medieval invaders).

Picture:
Spoiler :

9) Rajput (medieval, Hindi).

Picture:
Spoiler :

10) Maratha (renaissance, Hindi).

Picture:
Spoiler :

11) Mughal (renaissance, Islamic).

Picture:
Spoiler :

12) Travancore, Mysore and Madras (renaissance and industrial, Dravida).

Picture:
Spoiler :

13) Sepoys (industrial, Hindi).

Picture:
Spoiler :

14) Modern (infantry, cavalry, MG).

Picture:
Spoiler :

15) Workers (one for each era, for both Hindi and Dravidian).

Picture:
Spoiler :

16) Great people (generals, scientists, prophets).

Picture:
Spoiler :

17) Great people (merchants, artists, engineers).

Picture:
Spoiler :

18) War Elephants.

Picture:
Spoiler :

Last edited:
Awesome, as always
I also hope for Bakuel's return...

Good stuff, I actually spoke with Bakuel about making some American what-if units for at least the medieval era and he said something about making them for both the ancient and medieval eras. I was really interested in seeing what he did because he always made great what-if units, he had a good sense for that kinda stuff. So hopefully he comes back. As someone who goes on hiatus often I am optimistic that he will return.

These are great! Hopefully Bakuel returns with more units.

@mamba

Will Diversica be updated with these?

@mamba

Will Diversica be updated with these?

Definitely, I have been waiting for their release for quite some time, I wanted to add them for my next release.

Thankfully WH now is releasing them, since Bakuel disappeared

Can you make a thread with links to all of Bakuel's units?

Guys, I'll be going away for two weeks, and there are still many unit packs left to go. In order for those expecting those units not to feel cheated, I'm making a full archive of all the remaining units available for download. It lacks animations directions, Bakuel's comments and screenshots. I will still release those packs properly when I come back.

http://depositfiles.com/files/q0e0pyrkf
http://www.sendspace.com/file/cuew50

Bakuel, if I were still modding, I'd eat these units up in a jiffy and make some superawesome stuff in your name right now.

Of course, even though I'm not modding anymore, I'll still eat these guys up. They're deliciously made.

Also, thanks Walter Hawkwood for posting these. Reminds me of the good old days, when every time Bakuel came out with something new it was like a new AAA game release or something.

Guys, I'll be going away for two weeks, and there are still many unit packs left to go. In order for those expecting those units not to feel cheated, I'm making a full archive of all the remaining units available for download. It lacks animations directions, Bakuel's comments and screenshots. I will still release those packs properly when I come back.

http://depositfiles.com/files/q0e0pyrkf
http://www.sendspace.com/file/cuew50

Are these also Indian units, or are these other civilizations as well?

Top Bottom