Civilization V DLL Source Code coming with Fall Patch

2K Greg

<span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un
Hey guys,

I announced this over in the General Discussion forum, but I figured I would toss a thread up here for modders and mod users specifically:

The "Fall Patch" of Civilization V will also mark the release of the DLL source code, allowing modders to compile their own DLLs for use in their mods.

Ok, time to read some C++ tutorial :D

Trying to figure out exactly what this means for modders. I do a bit of programming but have never done any modding. But follow the modding community regularly.

Does this allow the actual changing of the underlying rules?
Will this allow the upgrading of the AI's behavior?

Dunkah said:

Yes, it will allow any changes to the gameplay rules. It's not the source code of the entire game, but it should contain all the code that affects gameplay.

Are we finally going to be able to add diplomacy music with this?

@2k Greg
Thank you for coming by and spreading the news. :)
No need to say it is a very exciting announcement.

Trying to figure out exactly what this means for modders. I do a bit of programming but have never done any modding. But follow the modding community regularly.

In essence, yes, it will allow mods to perform deeper modifications, such as the one related to gameplay and AI. Actually it gives mods the ability to rewrite a part of the civ5 engine (half of it roughly, and the most interesting half from a modder's pov, the other one being the rendering engine and such).

Now there is a big catch: this is not modular, so if two mods each bundle their modified version of the dll, you can only use one of them (although you can have both installed). Also, those mods will likely not be available from the Steam workshop since they escape the little sandbox we used to be confined in.

For those reasons and for the example, while IGE could benefit of it to fix a couple of bugs and allow more features, I may not use this freedom so that you can still use it with other mods that really need that power. Or maybe I will submit a patch that dll creators may or may not apply to their own versions and let IGE detect whether the dll includes my patch or not, so that IGE can take advantage of my modifications when available.

Maybe. Depends on how much of the audio system is included in the DLL.
The audio system is typically not something implemented in the game core dll. However it is very likely that the audio system exposes an API to the game core dll. So, yes, I guess we will now be able to play whatever sound we want and whenever we want.

With the release of the DLL, what are some things we'll be able to do that we won't be able to do before?

Besides modify the AI behavior, of course.

With the release of the DLL, what are some things we'll be able to do that we won't be able to do before?

We do not know exactly what the dll contains and even if we did no one could provide a good list: what can you do with screws, wires and steel plates?
And we are not even sure that the AI is defined in the dll.

We do not know exactly what the dll contains and even if we did no one could provide an exhaustive list: what can you do with screws, wires and steel plates?
And we are not even sure that the AI is defined in the dll.

Mhmm. Okay.

What did the Civ 4 DLL source contain?

If the Civ4 DLL is to go by, then there is little that can't be done, as long as you want the game to remain a TBS game. The issue, of course, is that more complicated DLL modifications take a large degree of work.

Top Bottom