• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Mastery Achievements

Hydromancerx

C2C Modder
Many games have things called "Achievements" where you do something in the game. Here are some achievements from the game Spore.

My idea is we have a bunch of Achievements like those that gives you extra points when you play on Mastery setting. There would be a new Achievement menu that would list all the possible achievements you can get. When you get it then you get a message saying you did it and then its unlocked in the menu thus giving you more points.

Alternatively we could always give some rewards too for doing them. Such as free :gold:, :science:, :food:, :culture:, :espionage:, :hammers:, :), etc. Or even a free unit, building, tech, great person, etc.

What do you guys think? This would not be high on the priority list but something to think about adding later.

I was actually thinking of posting something here about achievements...

I will update this later when I have thought of possible achievements.

I personally would much prefer that team efforts were dedicated to things that would add content and balance existing content, as opposed to purely aesthetic additions like this one.

I personally would much prefer that team efforts were dedicated to things that would add content and balance existing content, as opposed to purely aesthetic additions like this one.

as if life wasn't full of seriousness all the time... something stupid like this might be fun

/endthread

Are the achievement not the same as the cultural heritage project from Micael and Towerwizard?

If our project ever gets to be more than just an idea in our collective heads, then it will at least be similar to the idea of achievements. If it is implemented, your actions in game will determine what new traits you will get to choose from every new age (meaning that if you are killing barbs a lot you will probably get to choose an aggressive trait for example), and we are discussing right now big a part of these traits are to stay with you for the rest of the game. Hopefully we will soon post a new discussion thread with our thoughts on this matter, as well as what we propose the new traits to be, and what you have to do to get to pick them. Exciting times! However, it may be a long long long time yet until something reaches the svn, since the execution of our idea will mean that 1. all current traits will be removed in favor of our new ones 2. as a result, it will demand you to start a new game (a possible fix for this is to just get random (or selectable?) traits for the past ages, but how fun is that really?). Thus, we need to really play test the idea and discuss it with as many people as possible and so on, so as to cause a minimum of an inconvenience.

I just realize a thing.
Vanilla Civ4 already have at least one :
To be the first showing that Earth is round (bonus +1 movement for naval units)
All "the first to discover Tech X have free tech/a great person/a pocket monster" look like this too

@Towerwizard:
I PMed with Micael and told him I was willing to help you with that great project.
I had a LOT of mission-ideas and try to balance them a bit more, but if you want I can send you my ideas in a few days :)
I wasn't aware that you wanted to remove the normal traits Oo
I thought each Civ would keep their traits (=personality of the leader) but can achieve the "era-traits" as a bonus (=personality of the civilization). This way it wouldn't break savegames - you just won't have the benefits from earlier era-traits.

If you guys are going to work on anything along these lines, please don't generically make traits a part of the system as I believe we've determined an interesting destiny for traits and leaders in general that is still forthcoming.

@Faustmouse and Thunderbrd
If you start with the Aggressive trait and, thus, the combat I promotion, you will not gain anything if we let you gain that same combat I promotion again via our new system, meaning Aggressive civs won't gain as much from being aggressive than non-Aggressive civs do, since the non-Aggressive will gain that promotion. (I hope that makes sense). If we have to take into account all present traits when thinking about our missions and traits, our work will be limited to "filling the gaps" and in a sense meaningless. In fact, starting with traits flies in the face of what we want to achieve. Our idea is/was that every civ starts with nothing, tabula rasa so to speak, and will grow into what you make them instead of just having traits and using them. Our idea is to build your cultural heritage from the ground up, determined by your actions and position in the world and what enemies you have and all of those possibilities. If you start with traits, they you will change your tactics so as to maximize their benefit, and sometimes they do not make sense: why are your civ/leader Aggressive if there are no enemies on your island? In contrast, a civ may grow to have access to the equivalent to the current industrious trait, if they have linked up marble and built some wonders. I think our system is more logical, but all of this will be discussed in due time once we post a new discussion thread, do not worry, everyone will get their say in this matter before (and if) it is implemented.

@Faustmouse and everyone
I PMd Micael my thoughts a few days ago, and hopefully he will PM me back soon, so we can get on the same page and then start a new discussion thread. Nice to know that Faustmouse is joining our duo, making us a triplet now, I guess!

Lol I got a similar achievement idea in another thread lol... Here's what I thought of:

"I just thought while I was playing c2c that achievements could be a possibility. I often try to break records with the amount of hammers or happiness in cities as well as the city size. So my idea was that once you get to a certain city size or hammer amount you get a money/gold reword which is higher if you complete a better achievement. Here are some examples:

City Size: (biggest city size)
Village: city size 5, reward: 500 gold
Town: city size 10, reward: 2,500 gold
City: city size 20, reward: 10,000 gold
Megalopolis: city size 40, reward 30,000 gold
State: city size 70, reward 150,000 gold
Continent: city size 150, reward 5,000,000
Planet: city size 200, reward 25,000,000
Solar system: city size 250, reward 100,000,000
Galaxy: city size 350, reward 1,000,000,000
Universe: city size 500, reward 20,000,000,000

Production: (hammers total in a single city)
Beginner workers: 5 Hammers, reward: 100 gold
Basic Team: 20 Hammers, reward: 500 gold
Confident Group: 50 hammers, reward: 2,500 gold
Professionals: 100 Hammers, reward: 10,000 gold
Machine Workers: 200 hammers, reward: 50,000 gold
Mass Production machines: 350 hammers, reward 150,000 gold
Cloning Machines: 600 hammers, reward 500,000 gold
Time Distortion Megafactory: 1,000 hammers, reward 2,500,000 gold

Obviously you could have achievements for any countable value in the game but I won't suggest more unless you like the idea..."

So what do you think... Knowing that those examples I gave were extremely hard to get because in my opinion nobody should every be able to get the last achievement of its kind lol :)

NO NO NO

Who will pay you all that money ??? from air ???

We dont need another rewards that make game even easier than it is now.
Another thing that give human players adavantage above AI.

So i will say once again:

NO NO NO

Time Distortion Megafactory: 1,000 hammers,

I easy achive above 3000 :hammers: in my city. That is offtopic ;)

I m just mid-classical era and my capital have 468 :hammers (528 with emphasize production). Size 46, but +106 :food:/turn...
And serously, we dont need gold in this mod ^^
A bonus :gp: in the city achieving this would be more realistic.

As a side-idea, negative achievement (more than 1000 Crime in a city, more than 5000 water pollution in a city) can trigger bad things. Or not-so-bad-things (a sepcial avenger, costing you a lot in stability and gol, but decreasing crime)

Top Bottom