Achievements

Verrucosus

Warlord
Achievements in Old World are not as easy to ignore as in most other games, at least not for someone who (like me) enjoys taking a look at the "history" recorded in the game log. During the first few games, it's practically raining achievements, but eventually these entries become rarer.

During a recent game, the log recorded the achievement of "becoming The Old". It's a level 4 cognomen awarded after a reign of 40 years. As I surely had rulers with such lengthy reigns before, this prompted me to pay more attention to the cognomen system. Apparently, once you have a cognomen of a certain level, you can't earn another one of the same (or lower) level. So, becoming "The Old" isn't just about sitting on the throne for 40 years, it's about doing so *without* doing anything that earns you another level 4 cognomen. Given the given the variety of available cognomen (cognomina?), that's not as easy as it sounds. My Persian ruler (whose name I promptly forgot) achieved this amazing feat by getting bogged down in a long-distance war, that was low in casualties and didn't result in any conquests, but didn't leave many orders to achieve much else.

Usually, I don't pay any attention to achievements as a nudge to try different ways of playing a game, but I really liked this effect of nudging me to look at a mechanic that I hadn't paid close enough attention before. With that in mind, I checked the list of achievements. I don't plan to hunt for the missing ones, but there were two that I'm curious about on a mechanical level.

One is "Alexander the Who?" which requires you to "assassinate Alexander as a Leader with one of your characters". In my experience, the spymaster cannot assassinate foreign leaders. There's red line in the tooltip when he tries to. Are there any other assassination missions that I'm overlooking?

The other one is "Royal Couple" requiring to "have Old World's two most famous faces married and ruling your nation". The big riddle is who are those faces. My money would be on Alexander and Dido in which case a lot would have to happen to get them married.

If anyone has interesting game stories for these two (or other) achievements, I'll be happy to be spoiled.

There are a few event paths which can result in your leader being assassinated, and the Royal Couple of Old World is probably not what you think. Who runs Mohawk Games?

Thank you for those hints!

"Alexander the Who?": Given how reckless I'm sometimes with family opinion, this one might eventually happen in one of my games. I once got Alexander killed as a boy on turn 4 just by sending him to the agoge where he got a bad injury, but of course that wasn't a leader assassination.

"Royal Couple": I'd never have thought of that, probably not even if I had accidentally met the requirements, but I like it. As self-tributes go, this one is a lot more sublte and classy than putting your own name in the official game title. (Besides, "Soren and Leyla's Old World" - while charming - doesn't invite the best kind of acronym!)

Thank you for those hints!

"Alexander the Who?": Given how reckless I'm sometimes with family opinion, this one might eventually happen in one of my games. I once got Alexander killed as a boy on turn 4 just by sending him to the agoge where he got a bad injury, but of course that wasn't a leader assassination.

"Royal Couple": I'd never have thought of that, probably not even if I had accidentally met the requirements, but I like it. As self-tributes go, this one is a lot more sublte and classy than putting your own name in the official game title. (Besides, "Soren and Leyla's Old World" - while charming - doesn't invite the best kind of acronym!)
Just to dispel any rumours, The Royal Couple isn't a self-tribute. That achievement is actually mine and @Solver fault. :p

That would be especially difficult since Cleopatra, Mark Anthony and Caesar aren't even in the game.

Some of the devs are vehemently opposed to Cleopatra's inclusion in historical 4x games. ;)

I'm sure they appear if you do Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A in hieroglyphs with an Ancient Egyptian keyboard.
Don't you mean ancient Greek?

I'm sure they appear if you do Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A in hieroglyphs with an Ancient Egyptian keyboard.
Hey wait, what?? It is already implemented? Whow! I didn't expect Chaturanga Dandasana to show up until an Ancient Indian keyboard ...

Reactions: PiR
There are a few event paths which can result in your leader being assassinated, and the Royal Couple of Old World is probably not what you think. Who runs Mohawk Games?
Which likenesses are those? I am sure I have seen them but no idea what either looks like.
(EDIT) Never mind! Found them! haha...nice one.

Last edited:
Why would the developers be against Cleopatra?
It's not that any of us are specifically against Cleopatra (or the Ptolemais), it's just the wrongness of a certain game portraying Cleopatra (and the Ptolemais in general) as an Egyptian. She was Greek.

What about this, @Dale ?

1706566399932.png

One more reason not to trust Bing.

Really though, I think the Library was extremely Greek. It was part of the Museion, named after Greek muses, it was founded by a Greek ruler who wasn't familiar with Egyptian culture, and the library was a center of learning for many famous Greek scholars from Archimedes to Eratosthenes. Then it was also located in Alexandria, a city founded with the purpose of being a Greek city for the Greek elite, and it was indeed populated by Greeks.

Considering it Egyptian just because it was located geographically within Egypt is IMO weird.

Top Bottom