New Units: Medieval Wall

Kinboat

Conan the Librarian
This pack is actually 15 different units, each consisting of a one frame FLC. The best (and maybe only) use would be in a scenario where you preplace these units to form a Great Wall of China like structure. I recommend flagging them immobile and giving them a relatively high defense. While I haven't tested it I assume you could even give them a bombard so they can attack approaching armies.
Several other versions are planned including a Chinese, Log Palisade and possibly Industrial age earthworks or WW1 Trenches.

File... Very small for 15 units :)

Update... Someone mentioned the lack of gates. So even thought they aren't functioning doors :D I've made up two more sections of wall with massive gates in them (Ne-SW and NW-SE).

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads7/Wall_Gates.zip

Attachments

• medieval_walls.zip
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,285
And the first Post :D

Grear Job Kinboat :thumbsup:

BTW, can you do an Industrial Age Earth works and WWI trenches :).

In game preview provided by Yoda Power... with one of the individual units in the inset.

Attachments

• walls.jpg
    walls.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 7,454
yeah they are great, the palisade and the china wall will be extremly cool, just think of the possibilities!:)

edit- maybe someone could make a unit32 pcx file, that would make it alot easier, when placing them.

oops.. Forgot that. I'll make one and post it soon.

for the WWI trenches you could take an industial age worker use the digging animation and fortify it into a trench

Here are the Wall PCX Large and Small and 15 different Units_32.pcx pictures for the different units.

I originally tried having a worker building a wall when I did a palisade unit a long time ago... It didn't really work out right. Mostly this is because the Fortify animation is played everytime the unit is attacked... So we'd get the strange effect of having the trench built every single time there's an invading army... Plus These are really planned as preplaced scenario units, not really as handy in a normal game.

Attachments

• medieval_walls_pcx.zip
    12.6 KB · Views: 376
I like this I can finally build the medieval empire I wanted now

does anyone use these in their game? And if you do, how do you use it? I'd love to be able to use these walls, but I can't think of any practial way to do it.

What about barbed wire? It would be good in WW2 scenarios and N. Korea and S. Korea scenarios.

Originally posted by Kindred72
does anyone use these in their game? And if you do, how do you use it? I'd love to be able to use these walls, but I can't think of any practial way to do it.

Tag immobile, give some sort of defense which is not too high. Attackers fall off the wall when trying to scale it could justify attackers losing. Then create a resource called NO BUILD and place the walls on the map when creating your mod but can't be made during it otherwise the AI will just pile them up in their cities not knowing what they are.

I think this concept would work much nicer with barbed wire than these walls.

Any chance on some barbed wire? Pretty please. :D

maybe you could give them the Paradrop flag, but still make them immobile. with the Paradrop flag, you could choose where to "build" you wall, and since it is immobil, it would be there permanently.

or instead of making a resource called "NO BUILD" you can just not select any civ to be able to build it, but some start out with it.

Originally posted by sims2789
maybe you could give them the Paradrop flag, but still make them immobile. with the Paradrop flag, you could choose where to "build" you wall, and since it is immobil, it would be there permanently.

AI doesn't know how to do this. It only understands paratrooper airdrops like special ops. There's no way it could line up segments of a wall without added programming by Firaxis (idea for expansion pack I guess).

Or a Chinese version...

hmm... excellent... Is there a possibility that you can make industrial/modern age walls also? (Maybe modern age's being stone with barbed wire at the top or something of the like).

Also a trench animation will be really lovely also.

BTW, this might be the VERY first "added" thing I put into Civ3. So consider yourself honored ;).

I did this a little while ago, and while I had plans to do more versions they got lost in the shuffle... It's still on my to do list but don't expect them soon.

Top Bottom