Beyond The Sword

Revent

Will SIP
Hey all, after starting in SGOTM, I have come to realise how fun SG's are so I thought why not host one. :)

Variants:
1. Must win space race (all victory conditions enabled)
2. Seige must not be used.
3. Research slider must be not go higher than 10% post Alphabet

Settings:
Map: Standard, Factal, Temperate Climate, Medium Sea-level
Difficulty: Immortal
Speed: Normal
Huts and Events: Off

Leader: Gilgamesh
Traits: Creative and Protective
Starting technologies: The Wheel and Agriculture.
UU: Vulture (Axemen)
UB: Ziggurat (Courthouse)

Roster:
1. Revent
2. Smilingrogue
3. Mystyfly

First turnset will be 30 turns. Second 15 and the rest will be around 10 depending on the game at that point. I hope people find this interesting enough to join :p

Fun times :) :) :)

Attachments

• Espionage Economy BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    38 KB · Views: 202
2 advice tidbits

1) Don't name your SG after the game itself

2) Turn on resource bubbles

Also, variant objective 3 seem a bit too general

What attracts people in Succession games (and that's a hunch because I barely started to join that community for about a month) are the variants and mainly restrictions.

What makes a game different from a typical one by adding for instance "Kill all units" option before defeating a civ and without vassals. Or putting AW on no so attractive settings. Or creating far-fetched conditions before typical victory is acceptable...

Restrictions are the most interesting part for variety and reformat the game for a new experience.
Take Legend of Zelda one (NES), some people challenged themselves by avoiding the sword (from the old man IIRC) for the whole game. That gave on notch higher in challenge and created a new atmosphere for the hardcore players.

Here, for example, take Rolo's game where all improvements were forbidden except sea tiles. That sure changed the mood and people tired to play the same game every day feels its flame rekindled.

I don't need new variants to refeel the game as I'm in a different mindset (competition and discoveries through the source code ) but some people cares for that. And take into account some participates in many SG's at once, so hard to manage all of them.

EDIT: After that, there are the story seekers. Those who wants to entertain themselves in creating a scenario through a game.

Thanks for the advice.
I'm one of those ones that lack creativity in naming :lol:

But I was hoping the idea that I was putting through was clear. Seems it clearly wasn't very good lol

well you would do best with personal invites through PM's of people you think could be interested too.

I did with my Sury game too :).

There are 2 particular things I don't like about the way you setup the whole thing

1) it's only Monarch
2) the EP games are a bit overdid for me and don't bring me nothing new/interesting and are very limiting at the same time.

I actually lowered the difficulty because I thought Monarch would be accessible. I personally would prefer Immortal or even Deity possibly.
Secondly, I'll have a look at EP games thst have already been done and try something different with them if possible.:)

Thanks for the tip on pm's but this being my first post in sg, I wouldn't know who's interested and not!

*Lurker*

I tried a game on Monarch to learn the Espionage Economy-
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=474831

Frankly, it is like pulling teeth as you have to go out of your way to let AIs tech stuff. Otherwise, your spies will be wasted hammers as the AIs have nothing to steal. And there's no point in revolting cities if you can just tech Engineering way before them and take their land with less hassle.

Seems like Monarch is a bit too easy then. I'll up the difficulty to Immortal where the AI will actually out tech you (initially at least). May do deity if people actually WANT to play this and would prefer Deity.

I've changed some variants. Difficulty is now immortal and edited the variant to 'Seige is not allowed'.

*Lurker*

Why the no siege rule? I think it's alright to cause collateral damage to units if a spy removes the defences. Also, you might want to play Pangaea instead of Fractal. EE doesn't work well across oceans :p

No seige gives it a bit more challenge I think and would encourage use of spies :) . Anyway, I don't think anyone is interested so this shall be my walk of shame out of this forum :p

Done! Come on, we can get a few more people!!
(hopefully)
3 more people could make this a good game!

Fred of Sumeria is awesome for this variant

That's something to consider if people actually sign up ;)
As it is, I don't expect this game to get anywhere. Hah

^
What do you mean?
Lack of people or hard game?

This game seems rather avoiding Alpha until necessary, spawn a bunch of GScientists, Bulb most of Education-Lib (avoid Machinery). Trying to liberalize MT for cuirassiers (the opposite of slow siege wars) which is efficient until cavalries.
Vassals almost everyone and let them tech all techs until space victoty.

Lack of people.

Anyway, the point of it is to not avoid Alpha but really to run a spy based economy.
Apparently, it's been done pretty often in this forum, but I wouldn't know otherwise I wouldn't have posted :lol:

Top Bottom