InfoAddict "Light" (Global Relations)

Aristos

Lightseeker
First of all, full credits to robk. It's his masterpiece, I am just applying scissors... (plus some snippets).

If you are like me and feel that robk's gem gives a little too much information, this is for you. It's entirely based on robk's InfoAddict v19, but "reduced" to the following:
+ Only the relations wheel is shown: no data, no graphs, no database saved every turn
+ Within the relations wheel, only the elements that are available to the player in the base game are shown:
* All political stances and treaties for all civs, but for Defensive Pacts which are shown only for the human player.
* All economic treaties that affect the human player, but for Research Agreements which are shown for all civs (anounced through message icons in the base game)

It is working fine for me, so it should work as well for you. It should be fully save game compatible, and can be enabled or disabled in ongoing games easily. Feel free to denounce me if something goes wrong, and I will try to fix it asap.

Download the attachment and put it inside your MODS folder as is. Enjoy! ---> POSTED IN APOLYTON forums!

Updated to version 2: (Feb 22, 2013)
+ Added swapable icons (thanks glider1)
+ Added tooltips to civilization icons displaying information that is available within the game: Stance, Total gold and gold per turn (if not at war), Relative military power as described by the Military Advisor and using the same formulas (thanks glider1 for initiating this, I changed the calculations to reflect the exact formula used by the DLL)

Why would you want to reduce info though? I feel it needs to add more info.

Why would you want to reduce info though? I feel it needs to add more info.

Because to me, the info available in the original IA feels a little like cheating. I prefer the original political fog of war, and I thought that perhaps there are others feeling the same, so I shared it. If you want more info than available in base game, easy. Use the original.

[to_xp]Gekko;12039305 said:
I was thinking of G&K CivWillard :)

Oh, nice... is it working well for you?

Are you going to use this one? I confess I have no idea if people want more information even if it is not available in the base game, or if there are some like me that felt that "info without cost" was a little on the cheat side... maybe nobody wants it, but as I did it for myself, sharing is just a step away.

Anyways...

Thanks - exactly agree and appreciate you sharing this. I'm in the middle of huge marathon game. I wonder if this mod can be made to work midgame.
Cheers

Thanks - exactly agree and appreciate you sharing this. I'm in the middle of huge marathon game. I wonder if this mod can be made to work midgame.
Cheers

It should. That's the idea also... there is nothing left in the code that is tied to any form of savegame requirement, and I unchecked the "affects savegame" flag from the modinfo... just enable the mod and load your savegame, and let me know if it indeed works fine (as it should).

Works a charm Aristos even mid-game thanks for this. Only comment so far is that the button is missing that allows you to check relations while the leaderhead screen is up at least I didn't see it. That would be good to restore.

I guess people will say "well just use Infoaddict but don't look at the cheats if you don't want to!" However I found this impossible it is too irresistible. :)

Cheers

Works a charm Aristos even mid-game thanks for this. Only comment so far is that the button is missing that allows you to check relations while the leaderhead screen is up at least I didn't see it. That would be good to restore.

I guess people will say "well just use Infoaddict but don't look at the cheats if you don't want to!" However I found this impossible it is too irresistible. :)

Cheers

The button is there alright... strange that you don't see it. That is the whole idea in fact, to be able to check relations before deciding when to accept/reject DoF, denounce, etc.

You should see the button as usual, when entering a discussion or a trade, or when the other leader contacts you...

I can see the button in the diplo screen, but not in every diplo screens. There are some screens where it does not show, probably those where it would be useless, didn't take notes.

It's a great mod. I agrea that the original InfoAddict was giving too much informations. There is however one information i would like to see added, if you can figure out a way to do it : the diplomatic behavior between civs (that is, are they friendly, neutral or hostile). it would help when someone asks you for a DoF and you don't know whether or not your other friends like them or not. Sometimes a civ can hate another one without being at war or even having denounced them. Of course, i'm talking about visible behaviour, not the hidden agenda of deceiving civs.

Hi, i might have found a bug. In my current game, Kamehameha started a diplo screen. He was asking for open borders but the diplo table below was showing he was offering me some gold and a Luxury (with nothing from me :crazyeye:)
Since both deals were OK for me, i accepted, and the diplo screen went blank, no button, no text, just Kamehameha's animation. I can't close the screen.
I don't have other mods affecting the dilpomacy screen active in this game.
I hit esc and all of a sudden, it's Elizabeth that shows (i'm at war with her), refusing her own proposition of giving me gold and Lux for free :p
Well, at least, another esc closed all this mess.

I can see the button in the diplo screen, but not in every diplo screens. There are some screens where it does not show, probably those where it would be useless, didn't take notes.

It's a great mod. I agrea that the original InfoAddict was giving too much informations. There is however one information i would like to see added, if you can figure out a way to do it : the diplomatic behavior between civs (that is, are they friendly, neutral or hostile). it would help when someone asks you for a DoF and you don't know whether or not your other friends like them or not. Sometimes a civ can hate another one without being at war or even having denounced them. Of course, i'm talking about visible behaviour, not the hidden agenda of deceiving civs.

That was part of the original mod (the third screen within the relations wheel), but I took it off because you cannot get that information in any way in the base game (and in fact, we shouldn't... attitudes towards other civs are meant to be a secret). It's very easy to put it back, but then the whole spirit of "only available information" of this mod-mod gets broken...

Hi, i might have found a bug. In my current game, Kamehameha started a diplo screen. He was asking for open borders but the diplo table below was showing he was offering me some gold and a Luxury (with nothing from me :crazyeye:)
Since both deals were OK for me, i accepted, and the diplo screen went blank, no button, no text, just Kamehameha's animation. I can't close the screen.
I don't have other mods affecting the dilpomacy screen active in this game.
I hit esc and all of a sudden, it's Elizabeth that shows (i'm at war with her), refusing her own proposition of giving me gold and Lux for free :p
Well, at least, another esc closed all this mess.

I have noticed this behaviour, with and without mods, and since many versions of the game ago... I could not attribute it to any single mod. It seems that it happens (very rarely) when two diplo screens try to come up simultaneously; I did not check if this was reported as a bug of the base game, but it might have been. I would say it's a vanilla bug, but I am not sure.

As you said, a couple of ESC gets rid of the problem... but in any case, with a little more time, I will go over the code of the original InfoAddict to see if there is a problem with that...

That was part of the original mod (the third screen within the relations wheel), but I took it off because you cannot get that information in any way in the base game (and in fact, we shouldn't... attitudes towards other civs are meant to be a secret). It's very easy to put it back, but then the whole spirit of "only available information" of this mod-mod gets broken...
Obviously this is a matter of point of views. Mine is that there is no reason for this to be secret. America and USSR never declared war on each other (fortunately), but everyone on earth (saves maybe some tribes living deep inside the Amazon rainforest) knew their relations were difficult.
I think that provided you have contacts with 2 civs, you don't need spys to know whether they act friendly towards each other. Traveling merchants, bards, then journalists and all sorts of people will cary such information around.
So, it may not be "only available information", but i think this information should have been available and it's not cheating as long as it just gives you the visible attitude (such as the friendly attitude Soliman shows you when asking for Open Borders 2 turns before he DoW you ;) )

That's my PoV. I tried to make it clear but you are of, course free to disagree (it's a shame so many people consider their PoV as the only valid one and i had to write this)
If it was in the original (don't remember, i didn't use it a lot, and not very recently) i can probably just re-add it myself.
I have noticed this behaviour, with and without mods, and since many versions of the game ago...
Ah, i never had this bug before so i thought it was related to the mod. Well, nevermind then.

Obviously this is a matter of point of views. Mine is that there is no reason for this to be secret. America and USSR never declared war on each other (fortunately), but everyone on earth (saves maybe some tribes living deep inside the Amazon rainforest) knew their relations were difficult.
I think that provided you have contacts with 2 civs, you don't need spys to know whether they act friendly towards each other. Traveling merchants, bards, then journalists and all sorts of people will cary such information around.
So, it may not be "only available information", but i think this information should have been available and it's not cheating as long as it just gives you the visible attitude (such as the friendly attitude Soliman shows you when asking for Open Borders 2 turns before he DoW you ;) )

That's my PoV. I tried to make it clear but you are of, course free to disagree (it's a shame so many people consider their PoV as the only valid one and i had to write this)
If it was in the original (don't remember, i didn't use it a lot, and not very recently) i can probably just re-add it myself.

Ah, i never had this bug before so i thought it was related to the mod. Well, nevermind then.

I understand your PoV, don't worry... in fact, I wasn't sure if that info belonged to an "Unaltered Gameplay" mod ala BUG mod for Civ4 BTS, so I exchanged some words with Thalassicus (CivUP, GEM) about this, and then I made the decision. I still think that the info should be hidden as in the base game, but it is easy enough to change so that if more people want it back, I can do that... let's see how the debate progresses, if it does...

In any case, as you said, it's really not that hard to put it back... the real hard part is to create this type of mod from scratch (what robk did), modifying it to your likings is not that hard. Notepad++ for the world... ;)

I understand your PoV, don't worry... in fact, I wasn't sure if that info belonged to an "Unaltered Gameplay" mod ala BUG mod for Civ4 BTS, so I exchanged some words with Thalassicus (CivUP, GEM) about this, and then I made the decision. I still think that the info should be hidden as in the base game, but it is easy enough to change so that if more people want it back, I can do that... let's see how the debate progresses, if it does...

In any case, as you said, it's really not that hard to put it back... the real hard part is to create this type of mod from scratch (what robk did), modifying it to your likings is not that hard. Notepad++ for the world... ;)

Can you make it a start up option?

I think there is a good argument to stick with the premise of Civ5 in terms of what is revealed in the base game, just making it more accessible to us. The game has been designed from a certain point of view and this view is different to other civ versions. I personally accept that. Attitudes between AI's is fairly rubbery as it is in real life and so I'm not sure I want to know about AI attitudes anyway!

That said, yes it is still a matter of opinion! I guess in the long term it could be made as an option.

The advantage of not revealing more information than was intended by the game designers, is that the game remains more balanced in that we have less ways to exploit the AI and therefore play at a lower difficulty level more in concordance with the games intentions.

Honestly I think the user interface in Civ5 needs a lot of work so that all the information that is available, can be seen in one unified central place rather than this hotch potch system of searching through various menus to find what we want with advisers that are almost useless. That might have to be a wish list for Civ6.

Just my 2 cents.
Cheers

Top Bottom