Futuristic Cities???

N7Noah

Chieftain
Does anyone else find it odd that far into the future era, you still have modern era buildings? I surely do. I have been looking around the forums for a mod that adds future era cities with tall skyscrapers, bright lights, etc. So far, I haven't found any mods that do this.

Can anyone direct me to a mod that does this? It would be greatly appreciated! It would also be nice if the mod worked for BtS.

Thanks!:)

Have you seen this one?

This cityset might look a bit freaky, but it is futuristic... :D :crazyeye:

@moderator:
Shouldn't this post be moved into the "creation & customization" section...?

Have you seen this one?

This cityset might look a bit freaky, but it is futuristic... :D :crazyeye:

@moderator:

Thanks for directing me to this! I really appreciate it. Now on a side note, me being a bit of a new comer, how to do add this to graphics files so it replaces the current city graphic? If it is a mod, how do install so it corresponds with other mods? I have mods that add civilizations, and I would like this future mod to correspond with it.

Anyways, I apologize for my newbie questions:goodjob: :lol:

@moderator:

:yup: Moderator Action: Thread moved.
In case you see a misplaced thread, then please don't hesitate to directly contact us either via private message or via reporting the misplaced thread (can be done via the "report post" button to the left of each post).

@problem: We have some futuristic city sets here, but adding them is a pain.
I'd suggest you check the big graphic modpacks like Varietas Dilectat or Diversica, they might have them integrated.

Thank you for informing, The_J, I'll do so in future :)

@N7Noah
There are a quite a lot mods out there with expanded era content (and altered gameplay as well), the following are containing a lot of future stuff:

- Quot Capita by Avain

- Glory and Greatness by Seasnake

- The Powers that be by Seasnake (an even newer version of the mod above)

Enjoy! :crazyeye:

Thank you for informing, The_J, I'll do so in future :)

@N7Noah
There are a quite a lot mods out there with expanded era content (and altered gameplay as well), the following are containing a lot of future stuff:

- Quot Capita by Avain

- Glory and Greatness by Seasnake

- The Powers that be by Seasnake (an even newer version of the mod above)

Enjoy! :crazyeye:

Thanks for even more mods! I also ran across Thomas' War, which focuses a lot on the future era, but sadly, I cannot unzip it on a Mac. This sends me back to the question of how to install citysets.

Is it as difficult as many say? I have modded about every other aspect in Civ, just not cities or unit graphics, so I don't see a huge difficulty problem. Could you possibly explain the process or direct me to someone who can? :confused::):)

Is it as difficult as many say?
If you want to implement it properly, yes... ;)

You would have to edit the dreaded Civ4CityLSystem.xml file, at which every little mistake will lead to game crashes. Moreover, you also should be a little bit familiar with NifSkope, as you would have to know the exact names of the so called nifnodes (can be seen by open a nif-graphicfile with NifSkope) for write them into the xml file.

:crazyeye: But if you wanna have it in an easier way, just run like this:

--> go to your BTS mod folder and create a new mod (any name you like, as example "futurecity")

--> in your new mod folder, you construct exactly the following directories:
...................Assets
..........................Art
.............................Structures
.......................................Cities

--> put your new future cityset into the "cities" folder. Rename your cityset file into mod_eu.nif

Now you have a mod, in which the modern city style is simpy replaced by the futuristic one. As explained, this is by far not the best way, but the easiest.
:D

If you want to implement it properly, yes... ;)

You would have to edit the dreaded Civ4CityLSystem.xml file, at which every little mistake will lead to game crashes. Moreover, you also should be a little bit familiar with NifSkope, as you would have to know the exact names of the so called nifnodes (can be seen by open a nif-graphicfile with NifSkope) for write them into the xml file.

:crazyeye: But if you wanna have it in an easier way, just run like this:

--> go to your BTS mod folder and create a new mod (any name you like, as example "futurecity")

--> in your new mod folder, you construct exactly the following directories:
...................Assets
..........................Art
.............................Structures
.......................................Cities

--> put your new future cityset into the "cities" folder. Rename your cityset file into mod_eu.nif

Now you have a mod, in which the modern city style is simpy replaced by the futuristic one. As explained, this is by far not the best way, but the easiest.
:D

I understand why the second way is not the best way, I have taken a few shots at it, and it won't work. I follow the directory, and I put the futurecity file into the "Cities" file, and then rename the futurecity to "mod_eu.nif", but it does not appear to work.:(:confused:.

Please hold down shift during loading (at least once).
That will clear possibly temporary data from previous starts.
If then still nothing changes...uh...how big is it? Could you then .zip it and attach it?

Here is the futurecity folder. It contains the assets, arts, structures, etc.:)

Attachments

• futurecity .zip
    946.9 KB · Views: 45
My favorite futuristic cities are those in the Planetfall mod:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=278
(also my own mod, but all of those are stolen from Dunewars and Planetfall! :p )

There are quite a good selection there. IIRC getting citysets to work correctly can be rather arduous, sometimes requiring edits to Assets/XML/Buildings/CIV4CityLSystem.xml which I do not understand completely.

Yeah, that file is truly awful.

Here is the futurecity folder. It contains the assets, arts, structures, etc.:)

The structure is wrong.
The files which are in your mod_eu.nif folder should be directly in the cities folder, then it works.

The structure is wrong.
The files which are in your mod_eu.nif folder should be directly in the cities folder, then it works.

Thanks! It works now, but I have one last question. I want to add the cityset to another mod that adds the Papal States as a civilization. I am not really sure how I would put the cityset file in the Papal States mod file. I can't seem to attach the file, so I will provide the link to the mod itself, and there you could download the file and look through the files.

Here is the EXTRA CIV file which adds the Papal States:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8944015

Oh, merging should not be a problem at all.
Download the papal civ, follow the instructions from the thread.
After this is done, just move the files from your small city set mod over.
Don't want to check the exact structure of the papal civ, but I guess it will have an Assets subfolder already. Just move your whole Art subfolder into that Assets folder, and you should be done.

Oh, merging should not be a problem at all.
Download the papal civ, follow the instructions from the thread.
After this is done, just move the files from your small city set mod over.
Don't want to check the exact structure of the papal civ, but I guess it will have an Assets subfolder already. Just move your whole Art subfolder into that Assets folder, and you should be done.

That didn't work. In the Assets folder, there is a Modules folder too, I placed it in there too, and nothing happened there either :(.The .ini looks like this too:

CONFIG]

; Modular XML Loading
ModularLoading = 1

; Skip Main menu
SkipMainMenu = 0

; Custom Art from user folder is not loaded
NoCustomArt = 0

; Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded
NoCustomAssets = 1

; No Custom Scenario option in main menu
NoCustomScenario = 0

; No team play allowed
NoTeams = 0

; Read Game options from XML, not .ini
ForceGameOptions = 0

; Always start in the standard era
ForceStandardEra = 0

; Scenario file (Single player)
ForceScenario = 0

; This mod is only for single player games
SinglePlayerOnly = 0

; Allow public maps to be used with this mod
AllowPublicMaps = 1

; Mod Image file
ImageFile = 0

; Name of Mod
Name = Extra Civs

; Description of Mod
Description = Generic Mod

Anything in there you think I should change?

Top Bottom