Mod for slowing research rate?

jerminor

Chieftain
Hey all. I'm trying to find a way to slow the research rate, while keeping production etcetera relatively normal. I downloaded a "slower research" mod for this purpose, but it didn't work.

I was wondering if anyone knows a mod that reliably lengthens research times.

On a side note, if anyone knows of a fun (keyword: fun) mod that reworks/expands the game in an engaging way rather than just bloating it and bogging it down with ideas that don't actually improve the experience, that would be awesome. Reflecting historical developments in with more detail and nuance is wonderful, but it must be implemented in a way that adds to the game's fun or it just becomes a slog. More recently, I've tried Chronicles of Mankind and Ryse and Fall. CoM was a classic example of the mess I want to avoid. RaF was a lot better, but killed the fun of the tech tree by being too restrictive (and made emerging religions feel too arbitrary by separating them from any prerequisite techs).

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Any help on how to extend research (or on my hail-Mary pipedream for a good overhaul) would be greatly appreciated! :)

It shouldn't be tricky to make your own mod, which alters this. Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml has iResearchPercent for each speed. Just increase that and each tech will cost more. Remember to never edit vanilla files. Edit this in a mod instead. If the file is missing, add it. If you want to make your own mod for this, just add a folder with the mod name and then copy the file into the path I mentioned in this post.

It shouldn't be tricky to make your own mod, which alters this. Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml has iResearchPercent for each speed. Just increase that and each tech will cost more. Remember to never edit vanilla files. Edit this in a mod instead. If the file is missing, add it. If you want to make your own mod for this, just add a folder with the mod name and then copy the file into the path I mentioned in this post.

Hmm... I sort of gave it a shot. I changed the values of the CIV4GamespeedInfo.xml file in notepad (after making a copy of the original file, of course), together with the years per turn. It hasn't worked, however. I tried this with both the file in Beyond the Sword as well as in the base game, and yet it made no difference.

I know this was not what you suggested, though of course I can easily swap the original files back in so there should be no harm done.

Looks like I'm going to have to learn to make a real mod. The info I need will be covered adequately on the modding tutorials sub-forum, I assume?

Top Bottom