Deity Challenge 5 - Sweden. Pangea.

Old Peter

Prince
Time for round 5!

Standard settings. Quick Combat on. Quick Movement on.

Time for Sweden, my home country and really a favorite cilvilzation! Sweden is great for everybody I think:

Huge bonus to great person generation. People aiming for science or cultural victories will like em.

And for warmongers like me it has the best UU in the whole game - The carolean! :eek:

This will be the hardest map so far I think. :mischief: But really a fun map! :cool:

I failed in my first attempt, running second attempt now, look a little better. :crazyeye:

Good luck!!! :)

Starting location and file:

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0006.jpg
    Civ5Screen0006.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 724
  • Gustavus Adolphus_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    604 KB · Views: 116
Thanks. I call this kind of start the Stone/Calendar start.

Its weak at first but is strong after about 100 turns.

Interesting map.. I like Pachacuti's and Hiawatha's spawn (wont give any spoilers), Hiawatha might become a runaway. Will continue the map later.

I played 49 turns. I have met everyone.

Spoiler :

What a tough bunch! Only one civilized group in the whole lot of them.

I am preparing for war. I did 3 tradition and opened Honor. I have warriors and archers and am trying to make friends with CS. I just got desert folklore so city 2 will go NE soonish.

Writing>calendar>construction.

I played 49 turns. I have met everyone.

Spoiler :

What a tough bunch! Only one civilized group in the whole lot of them.

I am preparing for war. I did 3 tradition and opened Honor. I have warriors and archers and am trying to make friends with CS. I just got desert folklore so city 2 will go NE soonish.

Writing>calendar>construction.

Cool, interesting with both Tradition and Honor. I actually did not go desert folklore because I thought there were not too many desert tiles I would work. :crazyeye:

I am turn 184. Askia is in huge lead and everywhere. I love the Carolean unit so much.

t94

Spoiler :

Everyone is fighting everyone else. Now I have 3 cites and the NC. I thought I could kill Inca, but he is number 1 and is likely to attack me soon. I got the 4th relgion. I'm just building up cbows in hopes I can stop him.

Thanks. I call this kind of start the Stone/Calendar start.

Its weak at first but is strong after about 100 turns.

On turn 10 a ruin pop up Calendar, so I gave Stonehenge a try an it worked
Spoiler :
on turn 34

Spoiler :

I was only 1 turn next to the first religion founder and picked happiness founder and pagoda.

Spoiler :

Unfortunately, Helsinki was proved to be a mistake
Spoiler :
as fresh water is too scare, maybe the desert hill region would be better to make a nice compact 4 cities instead of approaching to Inca. Inca was also friend of Songhai so very hard to bribe Askia.

One thing not standard on this map is only 6 AI, instead of 7?

Yes, true. Forgot about that.

Interesting city placement choices. I guess Helsinki and Birka will be hard to defend, but I could be wrong. :)

I tried second time with Helsinki settled to the desert hills East of capital.

Spoiler :
Still no luck as Inca dowed the same time as the first one.
Although defence is easier but really need to focus on military production in this game. No luxury to build wonder (stonehenge was a trap in my opinion, should build archers instead).

I think the only viable approach maybe Composite bow rush to crash Inca early followed by crossbows to finish Inca capital. No one can help if Inca is allowed to stockpile a scary army.

Tried the map too. Got killed by the Incans. That starting location is beyond my level of expertise. (yet) Maybe a 2 city liberty start, all the while amassing archers --> (CB) to kill Askia early. (like turn 50) Certainly no way to kill Pachacuti early with all his hills, mountains and rivers. Expanding is not an option here it seems.

Tried the map too. Got killed by the Incans. That starting location is beyond my level of expertise. (yet) Maybe a 2 city liberty start, all the while amassing archers --> (CB) to kill Askia early. (like turn 50) Certainly no way to kill Pachacuti early with all his hills, mountains and rivers. Expanding is not an option here it seems.

Problem with killing Askia early, is that your empire will be in the middle of everything, open to flanks from everywhere.. ;)

These guys to the south are pretty distant though. And they will likely engage between themselves @ start. So the question is: who do you kill first out of the two? Askia seems easier for that. Later, a trip to the North with Xmen, perhaps. If only Pacha could be an early ally..

I wanted to kill Pacal as well, but he is so strong. I made a third city to the north on the coast, but I think it was a mistake. A second city in the desert to the east is the right move, I think. Then tech up and wait for a chance.

when i saw the start pic i was excited to settle in place. then i realized it was warrior, haha. im already apprehensive with so many good players having already given it a 'hard' rating. i'll try it, but mostly for laughs.

I did the two city liberty and went after inca. took one city off inca, almost had a 2nd when he turned up with longswords and it was gg

i almost ragequit at t15.

Spoiler :
30% ranged pantheon always goes first in my games, t9 in this one. 2nd was Desert Folklore, 3rd was Stone Circles on t15. i didnt even have a shrine yet so basically im not going for any religions whatsoever. its t47 and i have 1 more city dangerously close to Pachacuti on the cotton to the north of the 2 floodplains cotton. I have no 3rd city options for luxes except 1 silver by the tundra and snow. the citrus is way to close to Gao and the other silver and incense are in the middle of unworkable desert. i have no chance at Petra and no DF so its pretty awful for my 3rd city spots. and I rush-bought a settler for my 3rd city. im debating on where to put it right now. I cant honestly see myself lasting past t100 with this kind of surrounding.

new update, t102:

Spoiler :
i settled on that incense. i needed to quickly and only liked that i'd need short roads. and I can maybe build some forts on those desert to fend off an attack, haha. it sucks but it is what it is. Petra went on t56. im getting swarmed with cities right now. i have 4 DoFs, Pacha, Askia, Austria, and William. i paid Pacha to war with Hiawatha (290g and 2 horses). I got NC on t72 and finished Tradition on t100. I have happy problems though. growth is going to be slow. But i have a pile of gold from selling all my cotton, enough to rush buy 2 uni's when i get Education. that or sign maybe 3 straight up RAs. I only have 5 comps but im thinking i need to start taking these cities. I just have to wait for one of the DoF's to expire (or a backstab) but I also wouldnt be able to get one of those RAs. Hiawatha is wonder spamming and Neb is warring with Austria and William and had a lead all the way up until about t100 when Hiawatha finished Hagia Sophia. Im waiting on a religion to hit me. Only 3 have founded 1 of those enhanced. Taking a break and I'll come back to it.

here's a screenie. i feel super-screwed.
getting swarmed.jpg

Top Bottom