Modbuddy crashes frequently....how do I reinstall it?

ww2commander

Emperor
Never had issues with Modbuddy before but all of a sudden it keeps crashing and restarting whilst writing my code.

The very first time it crashes it asks me if I would like to allow modbuddy.updater.exe to run in admin mode which I refuse since I can't verify 100% why it is doing this (at the time I was not online to steam so there is no updates to install).

I figured I give a reinstall a try but don't have a clue how to do this :(

Any help appreciated on both what that file is and how to reinstall modbuddy.

Cheers.

Problem seems to be caused by the editor bombing out when drag/dropping text between frames.

All good now. No need to reinstall and the file I mentioned is not an issue and a normal part of Modbuddy.

I've had this problem when dragging many texts around. The good news is that it never seems to corrupt the files in any way. You just go back to your last save of each file.

To elaborate on the issue, the editor does not play nice depending on the type of text your dragging/dropping.

Lets say we have the following in a file:
Code:
--[[
       some lines of code here
]]--

GLOBAL_SOMETHING_1
GLOBAL_SOMETHING_2
.... (repeated)
GLOBAL_SOMETHING_19
GLOBAL_SOMETHING_20

Now if you try to drag and drop each one of those global values (not duplicate using ctrl) individually using your mouse to a file in another tab/frame it will eventually crash as it tries to re-parse the code left behind in the above file.

You can tell something is going haywire as at times the green commented code in the bracket section turns black is if it is active!

If you try to get around this by adding another set of brackets as follows, the crash will still persist even if everything is commented:
Code:
--[[
       some commented lines of code here
]]--

--[[
GLOBAL_SOMETHING_1
GLOBAL_SOMETHING_2
.... (repeated)
GLOBAL_SOMETHING_19
GLOBAL_SOMETHING_20
]]--

The only way to guarantee no crashing if individually moving a large quantity of values from one file to another is to comment each line out individually as follows:
Code:
--[[
       some commented lines of code here
]]--

--GLOBAL_SOMETHING_1
--GLOBAL_SOMETHING_2
.... (repeated)
--GLOBAL_SOMETHING_19
--GLOBAL_SOMETHING_20

With the above example, the editor does not re-parse the top or bottom of the file as all things are commented out.

For those wondering what the hell I am doing that requires this drag/dropping in the first place...I have a whole bunch of predefined globals that I am individually sorting from a temp work file (thus the need for commenting) into various arrays/tables in a live-code file.

I haven't looked but surely there is some way to tell ModBuddy (which is just Visual Studio) to pause its real time error checking. That would solve your problem above and make it possible to edit large Lua files like AssignStartingPlots without waiting 5 seconds for each character typed.

I wonder the same question myself and once tried to look through all the menu options but just got lost and confused!

I haven't looked but surely there is some way to tell ModBuddy (which is just Visual Studio) to pause its real time error checking. That would solve your problem above and make it possible to edit large Lua files like AssignStartingPlots without waiting 5 seconds for each character typed.

Just use NotePad++ ;) See the last two posts in this thread for details - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=475076

Just to be clear, are you guys using notepad++ within the modbuddy window?

Can one of you shed some light as to how exactly you set your default editor in Modbuddy as I am a bit dim on these types of things :blush:

I read the posts but it comes across as if people are editing things externally to modbuddy and then rebuilding in modbuddy!

Top Bottom