New Q&A session

Pouakai

It belongs in a museum.
http://www.2kgames.com/blog/the-civilization-v-brave-new-world-team-answers-your-questions-part-4

Is France the only "old" Civ that has been revamped or are there changes to other Civs as well? If so, would you mind sharing or hinting at any of these changes?

No civ has been as dramatically revamped as France. But you’ll see (subtler) changes to India and Arabia to name a few. Also we are finding that some civs (Polynesia, Rome, Carthage) have been indirectly strengthened by the new systems in Brave New World.

Are there any ideology specific wonders in the game?

Each Ideology has a Wonder associated with it. Once that Wonder is built, then no other Civ with that Ideology can build the Wonder!

Are there going to be any non-Indonesian new luxuries? Or any new bonus resources?

No. The Luxury Resources (outside of Indonesia’s unique luxuries) are the same as Gods & Kings.

Could you elaborate on Indonesia's ability?

The first three times Indonesia founds a city on a brand new continent(where it hasn’t yet founded a city) it gets two copies of a special resource: Nutmeg, Cloves, or Pepper. This resource cannot be razed or destroyed. Indonesia has the option to trade any of these resources it wishes.

What does the Caravansary do, and would I be correct in assuming that the East India Company is its associated National Wonder?

The Caravansary is a Classical-era building that improves the range and Gold yield of land trade routes heading OUT of a city. The East India Company is a National Wonder (replacing the earlier National Treasury) that is associated with having Markets in every City. It’s effect is pretty much the reverse of the Caravansary, providing a boost to routes that connect INTO a city.
Have we heard the specific resources of Indonesia's UA before this?

I just saw this! Very interesting!
Yes, we knew one of Indonesia's resources: nutmeg.
By the way, they finally revealed that Arabia and India are getting some changes, as was suspected. It's also easy to see why Polynesia and Carthage would get advantage from World Congress and Trade routes, respectively.
Why do you think Rome is being strengthened by BNW?

By the way, they finally revealed that Arabia and India are getting some changes, as was suspected. It's also easy to see why Polynesia and Carthage would get advantage from World Congress and Trade routes, respectively.

Probably their UA being that any building already built in the capital gets a production boost when being built in other cities. If you can send all production to Rome to speed up production of buildings there, you then get that benefit in your other cities later.

This was a very good Q&A. Thanks, Kate!

Only minor changes to India. That's going to make some folks unhappy. Hopefully the negative modifier for founding cities is revamped somehow. (I've always advocated that India should get a pool of bonus happiness that depletes as cities are founded.)

Nice!! It was 3 separate resources after all!!

I noticed something that sounds weird...

The first three times Indonesia founds a city on a brand new continent(where it hasn’t yet founded a city) it gets two copies of a special resource: Nutmeg, Cloves, or Pepper. This resource cannot be razed or destroyed. Indonesia has the option to trade any of these resources it wishes.

"Where it hasn't yet founded a city". Not "its capital". It looks to me like you have to find 3 different continents so you can gain 2 luxuries/city. Is that right? It might also be that Jakarta gets 2 luxuries! If it hasn't yet founded a city on your starting landmass, doesn't it count for one of the 3 cities?

EDIT: Spice Islanders (Indonesia): The first 3 cities founded on continents other than where Indonesia started each provide 2 unique Luxury Resources (and can never be razed).

Forget what I said. It still is interesting, though. Does the 3 cities have to be on different continents or they might be on the same one? If it is the former, it looks quite lackluster.

But you’ll see (subtler) changes to India and Arabia to name a few.

Nice to see that they won't be the only ones.

Yes - the changes to Arabia (and their Trade Caravans UA) seem to indicate they might have also made changes to The Netherlands (and their East India Company UA).
Assuming, of course, it is Arabia's UA that got changed, and not the Bazaar! :lol:

I noticed something that sounds weird...

"Where it hasn't yet founded a city". Not "its capital". It looks to me like you have to find 3 different continents so you can gain 2 luxuries/city. Is that right? It might also be that Jakarta gets 2 luxuries! If it hasn't yet founded a city on your starting landmass, doesn't it count for one of the 3 cities?

Here's the wording on their UA:
Spice Islanders (Indonesia): The first 3 cities founded on continents other than where Indonesia started each provide 2 unique Luxury Resources (and can never be razed).
Unless they changed it (to be more thematically closer to their name, perhaps?), that doesn't seem to be the case...

Thanks for the answers! :D
I'm not sure if we're going to get one more Q&A, but if so, can we hear (a snippet of) a leader's theme? Pretty please? :please:

Does this part (where it hasn't yet founded a city) means that the capital and each of the three UA-related cities must be founded on four different continents?? Please tell me that I undestood this wrong because if my bad English and two continents are enough?

They said that Rome was "indirectly strengthened" by BNW so I'm assuming that they are referring to the UA: that cities built after Rome is founded receive a 25% bonus on constructing buildings already constructed in Rome. This would obviously apply to buildings like the Harbor, which is essential to boosting trade, but also to other economic buildings. If you can build your outlying cities' infrastructure faster, you get a leg up on the competition in the race to set up your trade routes and tourism venues.

Hopefully Germany is also slightly reworked.

Also as for Indonesia:
The first three times Indonesia founds a city on a brand new continent(where it hasn’t yet founded a city)

that's news to me, I thought it just had to be a separate landmass from the Indonesian Capital, meaning you could settling a row of three cities on the first coast you find, but that's apparently not the case. The fact that you need to find and settle 4 different landmasses (including capital) is quite interesting

Does this part (where it hasn't yet founded a city) means that the capital and each of the three UA-related cities must be founded on four different continents?? Please tell me that I undestood this wrong because if my bad English and two continents are enough?

I read it as meaning either one or more continents so it is flexible and not tying you down to one continent. After all, what if these are small islands with only room for one city? In Civ V terms an island is no different than a continent.

Hopefully Germany is also slightly reworked.

Also as for Indonesia:

that's news to me, I thought it just had to be a separate landmass from the Indonesian Capital, meaning you could settling a row of three cities on the first coast you find, but that's apparently not the case. The fact that you need to find and settle 4 different landmasses (including capital) is quite interesting
It is called Spice Islands after all.

No civ has been as dramatically revamped as France.

I take that to mean that France is the only civ that has had a UU ditched for a UI or UB. We probably will still see some seriously changed UAs though.

I hope there is a bigger amount of islands on the maps, then. It seems too tied to an Archipellago map for me, I wish it was a bit more useful on Continents at least.

I don't think they are trying to force Indonesia to find three new continents for it's three special resource cities, but only saying that they must be on a continent (or continents) different from the one where their Capital city is. But obviously Indonesia would only really benefit from maps with multiple continents/islands anyway...it's UA would be totally useless on a Pangea map!

I love how the one time one of my questions is answered, it's one we already knew about anyway. (the Caravansary one)

Top Bottom