Medieval Wales

Balam-Agab

God King
5 Welsh units from around the Edwardian Conquests (1277-1283).

Credits to Kinboat, utahjazz7, CamJH, Micaelus, Steph, and Moeniir.

Download

Very nice units. I think I can use the swordsman and possibly the longbowman also. :D

Thanks all.

Excellent! One question: Did they really have those pickaxes?

Short answer :dunno:. I believe pickaxes were used in medieval warfare, although I'd imagine they were improvised peasant weapons like bills. They would probably be good for getting through armour.

Very nice unit pack, Balam :) These guys could probably be used for other countries as well.

Quite true, although I've always thought they had a bit of a fantasy vibe to them.

Short answer :dunno:. I believe pickaxes were used in medieval warfare, although I'd imagine they were improvised peasant weapons like bills. They would probably be good for getting through armour.

While I'm not aware of any proof of that theory (after all these years of research I only stumbled upon smaller, hammer-like axes that might look at least a little similar), I still think it's a nice unit. Maybe you could do some Irishmen as well, they're seriously lacking.

I don't think they were tools used as weapons. They were probably somewhere between the war hammer and the poleaxe, you can see some here. No pickaxe on that page, but some very nice hammers. Maybe a pickaxe wouldn't be easy to handle because of the weight, or you would have to hold it with both hands.

Top Bottom